User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
CDT threads

Hey Guys long time lurker first time poster lol. MY brothers (3 of them) and I are just getting into riding and we all have a bit different style and riding type. I am definitely leaning more towards an adv rider....but still like to do some trips on black top. anyways, in the past I have read some amazing threads on the cdt...ones that have shown a kind of day by day and stop by stop report. I have done some searches but have not been able to find what i am looking for lol...so, if you have done the CDT and have done a trip report on it could you post the thread link.....or if you have a favorite CDT thread could you post the link for me as well.

also, I am a fairly new rider....being in my late 30's and haven't really ridden anything but dirt bikes when i was a younger man haha. I am hoping to take a riding course here soon and in the next few years build up my skills and eventually move into a better adv style bike. Right now I am really drawn to the BMW f800GS or the triumph 800xc. I have a few concerns about these though that I am hoping maybe you can all help with (sorry if this is the wrong area for these questions)...

first off, is this going to be too much bike for a relatively new rider?

secondly how do either of these bikes do on the road? I will be using it for short commutes 35-40 miles a day on highway as well as riding road trips with my brothers who tend towards a cruiser and a sport touring style..

lastly, I am not so tall..5'9-5'10 with a long torso...30 inch inseam...I threw my leg over a 1200gs a few weeks ago and just felt..well..small and overwhelmed....am I going to get that same feeling on these bikes?

Thanks for all the help and I hope to read some answers soon. cheers.
DW99 is offline   Reply With Quote