Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #76
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
SR10 Firmware revision 1.1 was just released - http://www.senabluetooth.com/contact...20120102_1.php

Quote:
CHANGES
=======
- Support Voice Command function of mobile phones
- Support multiple point Bluetooth headsets
- Temporary disconnection of Bluetooth audio channel
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #77
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,747
I am a little late to this thread, been only reading the SMH thread until BlueLightning pointed this one out.

Anyway, download the new software that is used to upgrade the firmware on the SR10.
There is a button for settings. 2 choices.

Radio Transmit Gain = Low, Medium and High. Medium is the default
Audio Channel Timeout = 5 second(s) where 5 is the default.

I think this will fix your low audio out to your HT. I used a VX5R (bike to repeater) once on mine, but nobody said my audio was low (but they would not have told me unless I asked).

I have not used any radios for Bike to bike yet with my SR10.

But I can see for normal GPS usage without an HT hooked up, I really want to change the Audio Channel timeout down to the lowest it will go to.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #78
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Cool, I'm looking forward to the new settings.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #79
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Cool, I'm looking forward to the new settings.
I did not check settings before I upgraded it. The choice might have already been there, but without the SR10 software (which they just released last week) you could not get to the settings menu.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #80
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Ive had the dual SMH10's, used with my wife on the back of my bike and all is well.

I sometimes ride with a group of guys (without wife) and we've used Rugged Radio headsets and Yaesu HT ham radios. They all work pretty well, but we sometimes have problems with connectors/moisture and such.

So, I got a SR10 for Christmas. Onlyst problem was the Sena cord for the Yaesu radio did not fit my FT-270, which is the waterproof version of the FT-250. I tried unsuccessfully to graft the RR plug onto the Sena cord, but you have to be a much
better soldier person than me.

Anways, after talking to a salesman at HamRadio Outlet, I find out that a plug is made to convert my waterproof, screw in plut to the old Yaesu 2 pin plug, which the Sena Icon cord will fit.

The proper cords finally came in today and I got it all hooked up and works good. Have yet to field test it yet on a ride, but I had a radio check with a couple different radios and they sounded fine and said I sounded fine. I had the Sena headset volume up about 2/3rds.

So, Im excited about it all working as supposed to and will give it a try out this weekend.

Anyone know if the 12v cig charger for the SMH10 will work on the SR10??
Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #81
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post

Anyone know if the 12v cig charger for the SMH10 will work on the SR10??
Yes!
First I noted that the AC "wall warts" for the SHM10 and the SR10 are the same, as well as the charge cables.

But first I called Sena. They said "the SR10 uses a different 12v supply cable that is made so the SR10 will turn off when you shut the power supply to the 12V cord off". I asked if the SMH cable will work, they said "try it?"

Yes it works. I did not check to see if the SR10 shut down when I turned off the 12v.
I have not tried it while riding, I only plugged it in on the bike to see if it would charge.
I can't remember but I think I even had it turned on while charging.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #82
briguybro
n00b in special ed

Oddometer: 1
This will be a long post, so I put the important points in bold. Feel free to skip the rest if you don't like to read.

I stumbled upon this thread after buying the SR10 last week and thought I'd add my experience so far. My goal is to have my Android phone (Motorola Triumph) and a ham radio connected to my SMH10 Bluetooth headset simultaneously with full Android audio including phone, Google Navigation, and stereo music. Before I bought the SR10, I'd connect the phone directly to the SMH10. I could play stereo music, have Google Navigation read me commands and the bluetooth phone button would open Vlingo Voice dialer. The music automatically paused and then started back where it left off during Google Navigation directions or during a phone call. When I bought the SR10, I expected the same functionality, but also adding my Yaesu VX-7r radio to the mix.

1. The Yaesu radio adapter can be easily modified to fit submersible radios
The first thing I noticed was that the Yaesu radio adapter did not fit my submersible style radio. It was actually a very easy and quick fix. I picked up some kitchen shears and cut off the outer plastic housing of the connecter in a circle about 1/4 inch or so deep. The connecter has another inner layer of plastic which allowed the outer plastic layer to slide right off and now the connecter functions perfectly, although it looks ugly.

2. My radio connected to SR10 and bluetooth headset works perfectly
Next I tried a very simple setup. I paired the SR10 to the SMH10 headset, connected the Yaesu radio with the modified
wire, and attached the wired push to talk button on my motorcycle grip. I used the Comet HP-32 antenna which is bullet proof and perfect for a motorcycle. My wife stayed home on her VX-7r and I rode around town with mine on with this set up to test it out. Everything worked flawlessly and she reported that my audio sounded great. I also found that there is a computer program on Sena's website to adjust the microphone gain if needed too.

3. Before updating SR10 firmware, my Android phone only halfway worked through bluetooth
I started having troubles when trying to add my Android 2.1 phone into the mix. Again I started simple. I paired my phone via bluetooth to the SR10 and left my previous setup intact. I found that the bluetooth button on the headset would allow me to answer calls, but nothing else (not even end a call). I could only hear audio in my headset while the phone was ringing and during the actual phone call. This means no Google Navigation, music, or any other "app."

4. My Android phone did not work with wired connection very well either
After seeing the phone over bluetooth's lack of functions, I tried giving the wired connection a try. First, the phone headset wire is not included and surprisingly is a difficult item to find in Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Walmart, ect. I had to go to Ham Radio Outlet to find one. It needs to be the 4 pole 3.5mm rather than the 3 pole stereo one that's included. After unpairing my phone and then connecting it with the wire to the SR10's AUX 2 port, I was able to get all audio from my phone through the SR10 and to my SMH10 headset. The only problem was that the default Android music player app would go haywire and turn music on and off every other second, including during calls. Again the bluetooth headset button was also just as useless. If finally called Sena tech support and they told me that the wired connection behaves differently with each phone and is not compatible with all phones. They also informed me of the recent firmware updates which did not improve the wired connection, but did help with bluetooth.

5. SR10 firmware update successfully adds voice dialer to Android via bluetooth, but still no end call ability
After the firmware updates on both the SR10 and SMH10, I tried pairing my phone with bluetooth again. I could now answer calls or use the default android voice dialer with the SMH10 headset's bluetooth phone button. I still could not end a call which is annoying if someone doesn't answer a call and it rings forever. I also still could not hear any sound from any Android "app."

6. Connecting the phone to the SR10 through bluetooth and wired audio simultaneously is unpredictable
Up to this point, I had an almost working system. I could use my radio flawlessly and use my phone to make or receive calls and hope that the person on the other line hangs up because I couldn't hang up. I also noticed that the SR10 mixes the receiving audio when talking on the radio and phone simultaneously. It does not mix the transmitting audio though (the person I'm talking to on the radio can't hear who I'm talking to on the phone, but I can hear both). Now trying to connect my phone to the SR10 through bluetooth and wired connections simultaneously gives me the full audio from my phone, but doesn't quite work. If I used the stereo (3 pole) wire, I could listen to music, Google Navigation, and my phone call like I used to before I had the SR10, but my microphone would unpredictable turn itself on and off. The music quality was also horrible. If I used the 4 pole headset wire, I ran into the same problems as before with my music app going haywire.

7. Final Solution - Connect the Android to both the SR10 and SMH10 simultaneously if your phone has that capability.
Sena tech support sent me an email following up on my earlier phone call. They wrote that the best way that I could connect my phone was exactly how I finally did it with bluetooth and then also pairing it with my SMH10 headset simultaneously. They also said they would look into finding a solution to be able to hang up a call. Unfortunately, my phone did not natively support 2 simultaneous bluetooth connections. After a lot of time thinking through solutions, I decided to focus on adjusting my phone settings rather than SR10/SMH10 connection diagrams. I then focused on how to change settings on my phone to achieve my goal of hearing apps and phone calls through bluetooth. I was finally able to pair my phone to both devices simutaneously, but it was not easy. I had to root my phone and install a custom firmware which was similar to upgrading my phone from Android 2.1 to 2.2. After that, I paired my phone to the SR10 and had to touch and hold the SR10 name on my phone to change the bluetooth mode to phone only. I then paired my phone to the SMH10 headset and changed the bluetooth mode on my phone to media only. I still had my Yaesu wired in and everything seems to work how I imagined it should work (with minor, but acceptable glitches).

8. Conclusion - In my setup, SR10 manages all of the phone call features of the phone and my Yaesu VX-7r radio while the SMH10 manages the sound from my Android "apps." It's still a little buggy, but it works. Sometimes I miss the first second of audio/mic when pressing the push to talk button or bluetooth phone button because the SMH10 headset has to switch from my phone to the SR10. All the audio from the SR10 is mixed, but phone media audio going directly to the SMH10 and the SR10 audio has to switch back and forth when the push to talk button is pressed or if the phone is in a call. The phone media audio will not return until there is no sound from the SR10 for about 5 seconds. The music playing will also sometimes forget to mute itself on my phone app when initiating voice dialer, but I can mute it manually by holding down the SMH10 intercom button for 1-2 seconds. My set-up with the SR10 requires a stereo bluetooth headset that has the capability of selectively pairing two separate devices for music and phone. Without that capability in the headset, the SR10 is still capable of connecting a radio and a phone for phone voice only, but no sound from other "apps" will be heard. Also with my testing the wired phone connection through the aux ports, I imagine that any stereo audio device should work with wired connections as long as they don't require a microphone or voice input. I hope this lengthy summary of my troubleshooting will help some of you out. If all you want is simple phone call capability, radio capability, and perhaps another simple audio device (not music), then this device is for you. If you want what I want, you can have it, but it comes with some glitches. Overall, I'm happy I bought the device because I love having a push to talk button on my handle grip for my radio, but still be wireless to my helmet at the same time. I'd probably still have bought it even if that was its only feature. How often do you hold a phone conversation and a radio net simultaneously anyway? But hey, I can now (plus listen to music, receive turn-by-turn direction, and have my emails and text messages automatically read to me).
briguybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #83
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguybro View Post
This will be a long post, so I put the important points in bold. Feel free to skip the rest if you don't like to read.
Your #7 overview of connecting the phone to the SR10 for headset only BT audio and then pairing the phone to the SMH10 for media BT audio is the best setup I always figured anyways. It sounds like with your phone only being on Android 2.1 originally, separating those BT connections was a bit of a chore, but I know on Android 2.2 & 2.3, you can do this with a stock ROM on most phones.

If someone doesn't care about music from their phone or their headset doesn't have that A2DP capability, then the next best thing like I posted in my review a few posts back is to get one of the BT apps on your phone that converts the media BT audio like GPS navigation and Vlingo stuff over to the mono phone BT connection. It will of course send your music over this connection too, but it won't sound very good, However, it is a way to get all your audio over one BT connection. The main reason people are running into this is the fact that the SR10 doesn't support A2DP BT profiles. I'm not sure if it would really work better if it did, but it would solve the confusion of trying to sync your phone to two different devices at the same time.

I'm surprised your phone was doing weird things on the wired connection? My music player works phone over the wired connection, and the BT headset button stops/starts the music.

Glad to hear your VX-7 is working out well through the SR10. I think that is where the SR10 is going to be the most favorite is adding in Ham Radio's and FRS/GMRS radio's for talking in larger groups. And of course, you can still have your phone connected to grab phone calls. Thanks for the long and well written review.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #84
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Myself and a mate have been using the SMH10's now (1st gen, not upgradeable) with reasonable success over the last 18months but dust versus distance is an ongoing issue so looking at SR10 and UHF.

The main issues with SNH10 have been some cyclic on/off issues when in intercom mode and the 550 Zumo which has basically never worked properly with the Sena or phone.

Now we are going to upgrade and get the SR10's to use UHF on our rides since dust versus range is always the issue and UHF should fix the range.

We dont really want to go to the extra expense of new SMH10 gen 2 headsets if we dont have to so the question is.....

Does anyone know of issues between SMH10 gen 1 and SR10's, are there any fixes for any problems and what problems if any have been experienced.

If there are issues, does the gen 2 SMH10 fix all of these.

Thanks
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #85
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

I've got the latest SMH10, but have not downloaded the latest ver.

Got a SR10 for Christmas, also have not downloaded the latest ver for it.

I've heard the bad reports on using the two together, static, noise, over modulation, no volume.

I was very weary of SR10 working as it was supposed to.

But went on a 2 day ride last weekend and they preformed flawlessly. I was pleasantly supprised that it all
worked as advertised. There are more wires/cords to the tank bag, HT power, ant coax, and PTT button. But
none to the helmet.

I was using a 2 meter Ham Yeasu FT270R for the radio with a Larson 5/8 wave antenna.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #86
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
I've got the latest SMH10.

So you have the latest gen 2, firmware upgradeable SMH10 then.
Thats good news that everything works a treat :-)

But is it worth upgrading to your version from the original gen 1 SMH10 that is not firmware upgradeable (the ones we have, nearly 2 years old).

1coolbanana screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 01:23 PM
Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #87
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana View Post
So you have the latest gen 2, firmware upgradeable SMH10 then.
Thats good news that everything works a treat :-)

But is it worth upgrading to your version from the original gen 1 SMH10 that is not firmware upgradeable (the ones we have, nearly 2 years old).
On the Yaesu FTM-10R yahoo group, there is gentleman that is doing some testing for Sena and he upgraded from the 1st gen SMH-10 to the 2nd gen SMH-10 and is using the SR10 with a ham radio (FTM-10R hooked up). He is reporting that Sena made the audio too hot on the 2nd gen SMH-10's with the SR10 and is asking them to be able to make adjustments to it. Even when he turns the mic gain all the way down on the FTM-10R's he's still getting audio reports that he's over clipping and too hot on his audio. So, if the 1st gen's work fine for you, I'd stick with them for now.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #88
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
. He is reporting that Sena made the audio too hot on the 2nd gen SMH-10's with the SR10 and is asking them to be able to make adjustments to it. Even when he turns the mic gain all the way down on the FTM-10R's he's still getting audio reports that he's over clipping and too hot on his audio. So, if the 1st gen's work fine for you, I'd stick with them for now.
But the mic audio gain to the radio IS adjustable on the SR10, using the software that came out (for the SR10) the first of the year.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #89
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Is anybody using the old SMH10 with the new SR10.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #90
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

I've also been following the thread in yahootalk/whatever. I think it will still no adjust down low enough for his use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
But the mic audio gain to the radio IS adjustable on the SR10, using the software that came out (for the SR10) the first of the year.