Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #16
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I am just curious if anyone checked their frame?
Yep, and here another casualty. Mine's cracked too.

I'm not amused....

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Really sorry to hear that. Not sure what the repair is in your neck of the woods, I would suspect it would be the same as Germany, new frame? I didn't like the idea of a new frame, too many other systems being disturbed for my taste, though I doubt that is the way it would be fixed in the USofA anyway, I was pretty sure that if it came to that, I wouldn't get much cooperation out of KTM to change the frame myself. (My dealer is pretty good, but they have only worked on one 950 to date, that I know of.)

I wish I had a digicam at present (stolen) I would post pics of the repair I had done on mine. It came out really nice.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:09 PM   #18
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

I'll find out what the procedure in Holland/Germany is today. I'm not too keen on swapping the entire frame either...

The strange thing is, the frames are unchanged since 2003. No mods, no updates, no nothing. Some good welding, maybe with a reinforcement plate or something would be my choice too. Let's wait and see.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:59 AM   #19
blouvalk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Two bikes.Two cracks.One 11 000km one 18 000km. Thanks Barb!
blouvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #20
wittman
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Laugh

Frame changed at Sommer last week. It takes 2 weeks for the work but at the end the result was outstanding. I run 2000 km from the date when I had back the bike and everything is ok.
I'm really happy thanks Sommer
wittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

My frame will be welded by Sommer next week. There are two 'official' options. Swap the frame for a new one or get it welded. But the welding has to done by somebody approved by KTM.

I prefer welding for two reasons. For a new frame the entire bike has to be ripped apart including all the electronics, wire-looms etc etc. A total stripdown. While technically no problem, I don't think the bike gets any better from this. And secondly, since the frame isn't changed at all there is no reason why it won't crack again. With welding some reinforcement can be made. And 'only' the engine needs to be taken out of the frame.

But I must say that Sommer is one of the very few dealers I feel really comfortable with to do this job. They're outstanding.

And while my bike is taken apart there's a good excuse to fit their newly developed carb-kit for the 950 with different fuel needles etc.

KTMax screwed with this post 04-05-2005 at 10:42 PM
Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 AM   #22
barbasma OP
100% CAROTONE

Oddometer: 1,821
the welding is also the solution from KTM ITALY... same reasons... a middle dealer cannot change the frame without make big mistakes...
www.lc8.org
www.adventureschool.it
KTM 950 ADV S 2003 80.000 KM..... and gooooo...
barbasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 AM   #23
wittman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax
And while my bike is taken apart there's a good excuse to fit their newly developed carb-kit for the 950 with different fuel needles etc.
Just done ...BEATIFUL!!!!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:22 AM   #24
Mack

Additional pics: (German site link)

http://lc8.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3034
Old 04-09-2005, 04:55 AM   #25
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Is it possible to adapt a reinforcement plate in harmony with the welding?
Perhaps something with an arch shape connecting both connecting bolts and somewhat reccesed to take the stock bolt or put a slightly longer bolt in place to not sacrifice the thickness of said plate.
I no longer have the bike so it's hard for me to probe around
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #26
blouvalk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Question

Has anybody found the reason for the crack? As to my problem it seems my crack is more to the back on the squire running from left to right. Can the culprit be the centrestand? As the bike go over the point of locking on the stand it slams hard on that bar.As to the racing bikes they do not have stands and get dumped on the side to fix flats etc... I used my stand allot as on my gs.On the first 03 models there were no centrestand.Do anybody know of that bikes with cracks?
blouvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #27
wittman
n00b

Mine is a 2003 model without center stand!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #28
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
G'day to all my 950 brothers from Rory who lives downunder.

"Has anybody found the reason for the crack? As to my problem it seems my crack is more to the back on the squire running from left to right. Can the culprit be the centrestand? As the bike go over the point of locking on the stand it slams hard on that bar.As to the racing bikes they do not have stands and get dumped on the side to fix flats etc... I used my stand allot as on my gs.On the first 03 models there were no centrestand.Do anybody know of that bikes with cracks?"

From the translation it appears that if the lower rear engine bolt is allowed to come loose the vibration can crack the frame.
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:00 PM   #29
Mack

IMHO, the part just isn't strong enough to handle the loads, though I concede it could be an issue with the way the part is formed and/or some vibration/harmonics inducing fatigue into the part as well.

Making it thicker, or carrying the stiffner angle further forward should cure the problem.

I suspect the 2005 up frames have been upgraded, and that it might not show in the frame part number, as just that particular weldment was updated. (Just guessing.)
Old 04-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #30
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
I'm join'n the club. I put it off as long as I could, but one day I was doing a clean'n and I couldn't stop myself from look'n. I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything with it, just watch it real close. What do you guys think about a bit of JB Weld on it?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote