ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 PM   #31
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
I'm join'n the club. I put it off as long as I could, but one day I was doing a clean'n and I couldn't stop myself from look'n. I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything with it, just watch it real close. What do you guys think about a bit of JB Weld on it?
Fugget the JB Weld; it won't hold. Go to a certified welder and have him TIG weld it. If done right the weld will be stronger than before. You can have him reinforce the area with a gusset while he's at it for very little more $$$.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #32
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
My Orange baby is having major surgery at Sommer now. There she is, all alone, away from home, ripped to pieces, indecently scattered around in the workshop waiting to be attacked with a TIG torch... Hang in there babe, daddy is coming back for you soon...

This is not my favorite type of maintenance obviously but I feel lucky to have Sommer 'near by' to take care of this. I have complete trust in them.

I don't think these cracks have anything to do with the centre stand 'cos mine is an 03 without one. I have checked the frame from my friends' 05 S bike and it's not changed.

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:21 AM   #33
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

I got by bike back this thursday. Sommer did an excellent job welding the frame. If you don't know it and look real close, you won't even see it.

While it was stripped down my bike got the latest upgrades too that were originally planned for 15K KM (10K now). Cylinderhead nuts & washers, generator loctite fix and last but not least the new Sommer Performance carb kit. In a word; awesome!

Old 04-24-2005, 02:26 AM   #34
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
What's the Sommer performance carb kit? Much in it? Good results?

Not that I'll have mine open again (hopefully) for a while, I just had my 9500 mile (15K Km) service done early too. Or that I really "need" any more power just yet, stock is plenty for me, but I have been going down the standard mod route bit by bit in the year I've had it- Door... jet/needle... 16T... Wings...

Still no sign of the cracking on mine... (Touch wood).

Jem.
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #35
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjemm
What's the Sommer performance carb kit? Much in it? Good results?
Stunning results.

This is a new carb kit that took them 6 months and even more airboxes to develop. Based around a different fuel needle with jetting to match and some modifications around the airbox. No holes, cut-outs or removed snorkels as none of this works. Unfortunately this is not sold as a drop in kit because it has to be set up and tested by Sommer on the road for each bike individuallly.

The max power & torque figures don't go up worth mentioning but the feel and responsiveness of the engine do. Throttle response and bite are awesome. The engine rips through the gears like a maniac. As if it has gained 10 HP or more. But it hasn't. With their natural sense of understatement the Germans call it; "Das Ergebnis ist eine für den sportlichen 950er Fahrer spontaner zu fahrende Adventure."

Yeah sure, what's in a word. But it's mighty impressive!

Old 04-24-2005, 06:58 AM   #36
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
Used google to find out what means... Could be interesting, but if it's not so simple to install, I think I'll leave it for now. I really ought to learn to use the power/performance it's got now before I get any more.

Thanks, Jem.
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #37
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax
I got by bike back this thursday. Sommer did an excellent job welding the frame. If you don't know it and look real close, you won't even see it.

While it was stripped down my bike got the latest upgrades too that were originally planned for 15K KM (10K now). Cylinderhead nuts & washers, generator loctite fix and last but not least the new Sommer Performance carb kit. In a word; awesome!
Funny! So the mighty Sommers has just figured out a jet change can help. Maybe they collected that data I suggested months ago

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62902
Old 04-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #38
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssls6
Funny! So the mighty Sommers has just figured out a jet change can help. Maybe they collected that data I suggested months ago

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62902
Worse than that I'm affaid....... I found this while reading for no particular reason.......

http://66.47.68.116/Prod_Pages/prodk...dventurer.html

3/4 of the way down... just above GENERAL TECHNICAL SUPPORT. Begins with BTW........

I'm shattered
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #39
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m
Worse than that I'm affaid....... I found this while reading for no particular reason.......

http://66.47.68.116/Prod_Pages/prodk...dventurer.html

3/4 of the way down... just above GENERAL TECHNICAL SUPPORT. Begins with BTW........

I'm shattered
I'm just busting KTMax's chops a little I actually have the upmost respect for him.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #40
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

You're all welcome to bust my b*lls guys, I can handle that.

But the fact remains that a jet change doesn't work (as in no real world improvement over the 'standard' airbox-cover/clip-down/CO level threatment) with the stock needles. With an air-fuel ratio of 12 on full throttle the main jets are spot on. No matter how much words you spend on the subject. The Factory graphs are highly misleading IMO but let's not start up that old discussion again... Sommer did a lot of testing with the Factory kit too. Hell, maybe there are even Factory needles in mine now but even then the entire setup around it is very different.

Vive la differance!!

Old 04-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #41
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
I'm glad your happy with the change In the end we all just want our bikes to run better

The next time your in there... have a look at a needle to see if it is titanium. If it is then it's a factory Pro. I suspect that that needle jet has the right shape. I am begining to form the opinion that the standard needle is the wrong shape.

Thats the info that I am getting from the wideband, but more on that later.

Let us know what you find.
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #42
munichboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Add mine to the list of those with the same crack. Dealer spotted it before me and is welding this week. I don't want a new frame anyway as it sounds like this part only holds the engine in place - so not gonna affect the steering or handling etc.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #43
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Question Preventitive Weld ?(Attention KTM !)

Only holds the engine? Look under there the swingarm pivots/mounts on the engine case right . Has anyone welded a brace on a good frame to prevet this eh? (KTM) any thoughts of a bolt on or weld in place BRACE EH? (KTM) . Great bike - below ave. RIMS ! KTM you use Excel on most all other bikes why not 950's ? K.B.
950TRANSALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #44
LKN4DRT
Mended

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 950TRANSALP
Great bike - below ave. RIMS ! KTM you use Excel on most all other bikes why not 950's ? K.B.
It's reported that the 05.5's are delivered with Excels.
Four five O
Five O O
LKN4DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #45
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN4DRT
It's reported that the 05.5's are delivered with Excels.
Would be nice but sadly not the case.