User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
clintnz OP
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,343
Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness NZ 2011

The MMMMM is a ride I organise every year around the North-East of NZ's central North Is. This is the 7th time I've done the ride, the 6th time since I started inviting a bunch of random people off the internets. Being trip leader with a big group means not much time for taking pics but here's the few we got:

There's usually some minor variations to keep things interesting & this year was no different. When we did a pre-run through the 1st section of the route a couple of months back we discovered a small issue with the road:

So this year we started out in 2 groups - the Cool team would party hard at the Rangitaiki Pub on the Friday night then negotiate the enduro special test around the above pothole in the morning, the Warm team would have civilised drinkies in Rotorua Fri night & meet us at Minginui.

And verily, we did have a mighty fine evening & a great meal at the Rangitaiki The next morning dawned slightly cloudy so we were spared the brutal frost that the forecast clear skies would have supplied, a quick briefing was given & off we went. Some had the odd issue on the special test but all got through eventually, apart from kiwipeet as his clutch crapped out & he had to turn back. We barrelled off through the Kaingaroa pine forest, then the majestic tall native trees of the Whirinaki Forest Park to our meetup with the warm team near Minginui on the 'Te Urewera Rainforest Route'. Rain it did, but not too much, & no snow as we have had in previous years. The Route is 120km of mainly muddy twisty gravel through the Te Urewera National Park.

The traffic was heavy in places

Rosie took some pics at the HQ of the local transport company. Looks like the GFC has hit them pretty hard

& the crew rolled on through the bush...

The drizzly misty conditions made for some cool scenery as we wound our way around Lake Waikaremoana:

Then we arrived at the Waikaremoana Camp store to refuel bikes & knock back a few pies & coffees.

We continued east until just after the tarmac started again then turned off onto Ohuka Rd to take the back way to Tiniroto.

Despite the odd spot of drizzle this was a very pleasant ride. We came out down Ruakituri Rd & on to the pub where, when we saw the managers name we thought we might be up for a free beer...

After a pint we set off on a web of backroads to Matawai, dodging the odd shower & the odd sheep:

We got to the Matawai Pub on time & packed the bar with 30+ bikers to have another very convivial evening

More later
Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
clintnz OP
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,343
Sunday

The next day dawned a lot brighter so we tucked into a mighty fine breakfast at the pub then set off up the Old Motu Road, a 70km route out to the coast through some isolated farms & the hills of the Raukumara Forest Park.

Looking down on Motu village:

The road is very narrow, very rough & very twisty. For many years it was a stage in the NZ leg of the world rally championship & held the distinction of having the lowest average speed of any stage in the entire WRC.

From there it was on to Opotiki then home via the scenic route. I had to go & get a vehicle & trailer to recover a slightly soggy KTM 625 & it's slightly battered rider after an unplanned ditch dive. This wasn't too much of a concern however as about 1/2 of the remaining 'scenic route' is often included in my commute home from work anyway

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 879
Good effort Clint.... and Rosie Nice pics too

We really should get up there for one of your MMMMM rides. I could call in and see friends in Tuai

ztaj screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 02:27 AM Reason: added some stuff Auw
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Shewolfnz
Heels on wheels

Oddometer: 119
nice pix - awesome ride, thanks guys

Shewolfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,006
Nice RR

The off-road bits looked fun. I might admit I didn't miss getting hosed and/or frozen.

A few photo's of mine.

Château d' Rangitikei

The start line on Saturday Morning.

The Stop at Tiniroto Pub

The Shepherds, (Organisers Clint and Rosie) last to leave Tiniroto. Off to round up their flock.

A few more photo's here
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Russ

Oddometer: 15,740
Great ride report it's a fantastic part of the world
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 910
Nice one guys, looks like some awesome (and a lil cold) fun!
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
GPS MAN
Lost!

Oddometer: 69
Hey Clint....Really enjoyed the ride and the pics...Thanks again for all your hard work putting this together........

Bart did his part....Great pics also!

Looking forward to the next one!

GPS MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
loved reading your RR. Would love to ride NZ one day
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote