User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 433
Oz/Kiwi Yamaha DT230 ADV riders sign in here please

2 stroke adventure bikes are few and far between, good reason for that...they're not as easy to ride as a 4 stroker. Until you ride a Yamaha DT230, with its power valve which basically eliminates hunting, oil injection and variable ingnition system (traction control), on paper it should make a half descent adventure bike. Unfortunately not much info out there about the Yamaha DT230, it seems it's a bit of a rare breed. If you have a link to info about the DT23 please send me an email and I'll post it here.

Yamaha DT230 Manuals
Owners Handbook
Service Manual
Parts Catalogue

Forums or posts with DT230 info:
Yamaha IT Forum now with a section dedicated to the DT230
Yamaha Owners Club Forum in the Dual Soprt/ Off Road bikes section but again not much on the DT230
Yamaha DT125 Bike Forum dedicated just to the DT125
Yamaha DT125R UK forum
Adventurizing a Yamaha DT230 stuff that I've done to my DT230

Parts Suppliers for DT230:
JP-Parts don't waste your time at a bike shop, just shop at JP-Parts...fill out the quote form (you need a copy of the Yamaha DT230 Parts Catalogue), receive back you quote usually within a couple of days and if you agree to the price, pay with PayPal and get your OEM parts usually within 5 days
Boats they don't just sell parts for boats, they do bikes as well. Thanks to drchupachup for this one, he did a comparison here with JP-Parts and found Boats to be 40% cheaper.
Webike Japan the only place to get aftermarket parts, muffler, chamber, reeds, luggage rack, etc, excellent service and usually receive within 5 days.

Specific Parts for the DT230:
Linkage Raisers for the DT200R also fit the DT230 and raise it by about 50mm, but they increase the steering rake angle, which makes for quicker steering in the tight stuff but a little unstable on the open road.
Front Stainless Brake Line Stainless front brake line from the 1995 Yamaha TTR250 fit the DT230 and make a huge difference to brake feel, bloody cheap too.

Videos of the DT230 in action:
Odlins Rd on a DT230 - Helmet Cam - Part 1/3
Odlins Rd on a DT230 - Helmet Cam - Part 2/3
Odlins Rd on a DT230 - Helmet Cam - Part 3/3
2 little blue Yamahas explore Odlins Rd

Robo
Attached Images

motormail screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 10:56 PM
motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Can't seem to find any info anywhere in the world of anyone using a DT230 as an adventure bike, oh well, thought I'd give it a go anyway, starting with extra fuel like a 7.5Ltr flat bottom tank from Nomad Tanks. This will give the DT a total of 18.5Ltrs, which should give a range of a few hundred kms. Need at least another 20Ltrs for the places I want to go. Here's an example of the tank set up.

motormail screwed with this post 07-30-2011 at 11:56 PM
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Been trying to find a rear luggage rack for the DT230 and came across one which is from a European DT125. While I was searching I found out the DT125 has been the one of the largest selling learner bikes in Europe for nearly twenty years. And they are virtually the same as the DT230, particularly the 04-06 models, this one is a 2006 DT125RE.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Seeing as though I'm having difficulty finding a larger plastic main tank for the DT230, I started researching other ways of carrying fuel. Check this out from TrailTail a trailer for your dirtbike, I bet I could carry 2 x 20Ltr jerry cans on that..just the ticket for going bush on a 2 stroke. Makes sense really, especially if you ride solo and get stuck in some outback Australia mud, it would be a dam site easier unloading a trailer and rescuing a light 120kg 2 stroke rather than a 250kg 4 stroke pig.

motormail screwed with this post 07-30-2011 at 12:58 AM
Old 07-29-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Here's my 2000 model DT230 so far. Rear luggage rack is from a European DT125, with 7.5Ltr rear tank from Nomad Tanks. Chain and sprockets from Chain Gang (Australia) 13T front and 42T rear. Tyres are Dunlop 606 front and rear (Tyres for Bikes Brisbane), also balanced and replaced front and rear wheel bearings while I was at it. Also replaced suspension linkage bearings, seals, sleeves and linkage arms with a raiser set (50mm) from Germany, to give it a bit more ground clearance. Just in the middle of making some sub frame braces which will also from part of the pannier racks.

motormail screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 02:57 PM
Old 07-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,336

An old trials riding buddy bought a DT200, and he rated it pretty highly, so the 230 should be even better. Interested in this one.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
The DT should be fine.

I had a 91 KDX 200 and rode it from Sydney to Carinda about a 1400km round trip on my P's
I made up a rear rack to suite the Gearsack dirt bag and straped my back pack to it as a back rest. It would sit on 110kph all day and did it easy.

There was a story in ADB in the early 90's of a guy that rode his 90 model KDX 200 across Australia so the little DT should be a great light weight Adv bike.

Cheers Matt
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

With the new 13/42 sprocket gearing @ 140 kph in sixth, the DT is about half way through the power band. As an adventure bike I think it should sit comfortably at those speeds and above for extended transport periods. I tried to go a 14T front and 40T rear as the specs say it will go to (for fast adventure riding) but unfortunatly with the super heavy duty chain I bought, the 14T front wouldn't permit the chain to squeeze between the case saver and the cog. Similar with the rear, with the 40T the chain would have been rubbing on the sprocket mounting bolts. Bugger...I reckon I got have easily done 180kph with that gearing. Standard gearing on the DT230 is 13/45, Yamaha specs say front can be between 12-14 and rear 40-52.

Robo

motormail screwed with this post 07-31-2011 at 12:00 AM
Old 07-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMatt View Post
There was a story in ADB in the early 90's of a guy that rode his 90 model KDX 200 across Australia so the little DT should be a great light weight Adv bike.

Cheers Matt

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
That be the one Trev

The good old days when you could get 900L of fuel of $810.00
Old 07-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Thanks tREV, you're a ledge for finding that. My brother is a fibreglass expert and can make me a custom carbonfibre tank, but is a last resort. At the moment I'm waiting to get some measurements on a 95-02 Yamaha XT600 Acerbis tank from America. As far as I can tell, the seat for the XT is nearly the same as the DT and as long as there is enough space for the XT tank to straddle the radiators, I can retrofit tank mounting brackets as needed...fingers crossed. Here's the 23Ltr XT tank I'm hoping will do the job, available in White or Black.

motormail screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 03:16 AM
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Fuel consumption on dt230

Have been keeping an eye on fuel consumption on the DT230 and have come to one conclusion .... FAAAAARRRRRKKKKKK!!!!!! it's thirsty. Mind you its probably got more to do with my right hand action, but I just can't help myself, the little smoker just loves to be flogged. Approximately 10kms per litre, but when I compare that with my shitty 3.0 Ltr Holden Rodeo Dual Cab Diesel ute that can carry 5, it uses about the same amount of fuel. However riding the Dt230 solo is a hell of a lot more fun. Might have to look at building that dirt bike trailer sooner rather than later, so I can carry an extra 40Ltrs of fuel.

Robo
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
I'm subscribed.......

Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormail View Post
Have been keeping an eye on fuel consumption on the DT230 and have come to one conclusion .... FAAAAARRRRRKKKKKK!!!!!! it's thirsty. Mind you its probably got more to do with my right hand action, but I just can't help myself, the little smoker just loves to be flogged. Approximately 10kms per litre, but when I compare that with my shitty 3.0 Ltr Holden Rodeo Dual Cab Diesel ute that can carry 5, it uses about the same amount of fuel. However riding the Dt230 solo is a hell of a lot more fun. Might have to look at building that dirt bike trailer sooner rather than later, so I can carry an extra 40Ltrs of fuel.

Robo
Similar reaction to my own, fumes after 130 km of spanking it on gravel roads. Oh well, if i wanted fuel economy I would have bought a C90
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey Harvey, is yours an import?