Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #151
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 444
Been bloody slow going with my Supermoto conversion.

Every time I bolt something back on the bike, it breaks. Radiator for example, pissing out coolant...FFFAAAAARRRRKKKKKKK, I just wanna go ridin.

However, I can now vouch for a company that can fix DT230 radiators - Motorbike Radiators in Brisbane and Melbourne, repair and test $88.

Put it all back together, started it up....dash lights started flickering then faded all together. Result = no electrics, FFAAAARRRKKKKK again. No electrics means power valve not worky and in closed position, but went for a short blat anyway. Testing revealed the Starter Relay Assembly shat itself, mind you the fuses where like powder with flakes of plastic and had probably never been changed since the bike was new 2000. FYI, check your fuses, I think they were 30AMP, anyone know for sure?

Can definitely tell power potential is there with the new exhaust system

Now have Yamaha DT125X front end on which is the same as Yamaha XT660X with Brembo Caliper and DT125X master cylinder.

Here;s my dirt front end ready to just slip in the fork tree and bolt the master cylinder back on the bars.

motormail screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:16 PM
motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #152
drchupachup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
haha love this off the EFM website,

This allows for instant lockup for burn-outs on any bike and unsurpassed holding power. Bottom line: Faster application and MORE POWER!

Can't help you with the clutch sorry mate. Maybe if i blow it up again...

That thing of yours is going to be a freakin weapon when its done.
drchupachup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #153
drchupachup
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi All,

Durt Tirtle is finished and running.

Pretty stoked with how i went with the rebuild. It started pretty much first try, however after about 50kms of riding i am a bit disappointed in a couple of things,

1. I have a mild case of piston slap. I did not realise until now that you really need to pay attention to the piston/bore tolerances. I bought a new piston and had the bore honed (not rebored) and thought that would be sweet. It's not. The piston slap is not enough to cause damage (according to the bike shop mechanic who looked at it yesterday) but the noise bothers me.

2. Runs rough at low speed. Is sweet when you're up it. This may be as a result of the above as compression may be low due to piston/bore tolerance. Another theory is that i need to check the adjustment on the powervalve cables. I rebuilt/cleaned the carb and set to stock jetting specs so think that is ok.

So i'm thinking about my options.

The mechanic said ride it for 500kms and monitor the noise. If it gets worse then fix. If stays the same just ride it.

I think i might ride for a bit longer to see if I get used to it. If it continues to shit me i will probably get the barrel sleeved to suit the new piston. Hopefully that solves the above issues.

Chime in if you have any input.

Luke
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #154
drchupachup
Gnarly Adventurer

also,

could someone please send me a pic of an unmolested virgin airbox. snorkel too if they still have it.

I want to see the size and the location of the snorkel hole.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #155
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchupachup View Post
also,

could someone please send me a pic of an unmolested virgin airbox. snorkel too if they still have it.

I'm flat tack til Monday but if no response before then I will do a David Bailey for ya.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #156
HoonTune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormail View Post
FYI, check your fuses, I think they were 30AMP, anyone know for sure?
G'Day - been following your thread for a couple of months, great work !

I've been thinking about motarding my DT230 for years, have some spare wheels for a Honda RS125 out the back that I thought about getting setup but the axel was a different size and it just got a bit hard (and expensive). Since I saw your thread I've been trying to get my hands on some DT125 wheels, but no-one seems to want to ship to BrisVegas - If you ever wanna sell that spare rear wheel p.m. me

Can't wait to see yours on the road - it's looking awesome

BTW - I checked the manual and the fuses are supposed to be 30AMP
HoonTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #157
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey mate,
Thanks for the info on the fuses.
Get yourself a UK Mailbox for $5.
They are a freight forwarding company that uses DHL International - packages in 3 days.
And enter the UK address into your ebay account and all is sweet to buy to your hearts content.
On another note, I found a complete clutch, basket, boss, plates, etc for a couple of hunjy ready to send to the States for my auto clutch build.
Woohoo, DT230 posty bike on the way.
Just got my TTR125 back on the road which has a Rekluse auto clutch and is actually legal for me to use as a posty bike in QLD. Forgot how much fun can be had on a little 125 with nobby's. Needless to say the complaints have started to come in again about me fanging down the nature strip on a trail bike. Can't wait to be doing it on the Yamaha DT230X, haha I just realised I've made my own model of bike

motormail screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 01:48 AM
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #158
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
also,

These any use too ya? I mis read your post & only took photies of the snorkel sorry. Bikes back together & I'm off out now.
I would say the orifice is about 500 x 350 or so.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #159
drchupachup
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
These any use too ya? I mis read your post & only took photies of the snorkel sorry. Bikes back together & I'm off out now.
I would say the orifice is about 500 x 350 or so.
Thanks HK you're a legend.

Looks like i cut the pretty much the right size and the right spot.

What are those other breather pipes for?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #160
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks HK you're a legend.

Looks like i cut the pretty much the right size and the right spot.

What are those other breather pipes for?
Ah, the pipes of mystery..

Apparently it's a performance mod but to be honest I have forgotten what it is. I may still have emails from the previous owner explaining the purpose, if so I will post it up. Helps the bike at the bottom end without any loss of top end ooomph. Must work, the bike is virtually unstallable & tractors up hills in 3rd when 2nd should be the go. Pulls straight off the throttle too, no bogging. Very impressive in steep snotty stuff.

I gather my, er, overgenerous measurements did not throw you..

As a wee aside, the bike is fairly low geared from standard & the G/F had 137 kmh on the clock on Sunday, L plate flapping in the wind........ Gonna smack her bum.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #161
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Bump.

Anyone got anything to report.
I've got shitloads, but no time to tell it, post photo's, videos etc.
Will try to get my shit together over the weekend, as my little beasty is a lot of furkn fun with the Supermoto bits.

Robo
Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #162
HoonTune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
You got me inspired enough to buy a full Arrow exhaust system from France on ebay ... hopefully it will arrive before Xmas !

Still haven't found any DT125 X/SM rims yet... there are some TDR ones on ebay but they don't seem to fit without modifications so I guess I'll just have to wait some more...

We need to see a photo of the final product !
HoonTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #163
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoonTune View Post
You got me inspired enough to buy a full Arrow exhaust system from France on ebay ... hopefully it will arrive before Xmas !

Still haven't found any DT125 X/SM rims yet... there are some TDR ones on ebay but they don't seem to fit without modifications so I guess I'll just have to wait some more...

We need to see a photo of the final product !
I'm sure somebody on here posted that TTR 125 & 250 rims are bolt on. Just a case of getting them down to 17".

Whats the back tire on the TTR motomail? I'm looking at a road legal trials tire as the next replacement. Be keen to see how they go with 8 psi in the back.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #164
drchupachup
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormail View Post
Bump.

Anyone got anything to report.
I've got shitloads, but no time to tell it, post photo's, videos etc.
Will try to get my shit together over the weekend, as my little beasty is a lot of furkn fun with the Supermoto bits.

Robo
I had a mild piston slap after my rebuild.

I have sent the barrel and piston off to Serco to be resleeved and bored to suit the WR200 piston.

Was hoping to get them back before this weekend to put them back in but no go.

Will post vid/pics when all done. Hopefully before Christmas.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #165
drchupachup
Gnarly Adventurer

Finished

I fitted the top end again yesterday with the Serco sleeve fitted.

According to Alan from Serco i had .0875 clearance piston-bore before the sleeve was installed. Now it finisihes at .0625. I am really suprised at the difference .025 makes (1 thou), its like a totally diferent bike than it was a few weeks ago. Alan did say that as the sleeve is cast iron the rings to seal better and you get better compression compared to the nikasil bore which could also be a factor.

EDIT: I also suspect the bore may not have been round after it was honed. So it may have been only 0.025 out at one point it could have been 0.075 mid bore or elsewhere.

Anyway i'm really happy with the result and glad i spent the extra time and money on it post rebuild. No more piston slap!

drchupachup screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 02:39 PM Reason: stuffed up measurements as i am not that smart.