Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #31
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 446
Also added some extra strengthening supports to the pannier racks today as I was getting a bit more flex than I would have liked. This seems to have fixed the problem.

Robo
motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #32
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Thought I'd give one of these tool tubes a go more info here

Robo

motormail screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 11:52 PM
Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #33
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Camping with the DT230, thought I'd try a hammock, more here.

Robo
Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #34
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Almost ready to go 30 Litres of fuel, camping and cooking gear, tools, oils, food, etc, just needs to stop pissing rain.....

Robo
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Awww, I love it. Your bike has it's own bedroom

Really looking forward to reading how the wee thing performs fully loaded. Excellent effort
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #36
XF650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Yup, that's the bugger. Their is nothing on the links to show if they are standard or modified but I have at least 2 cm to play with on the ride height. Soon as I can get my hands on a 30mm spanner I will be giving it a twist.
I have an extra set of rims with road tires but still a 57 sprocket, I want to raise the gearing on this set for the road. It will give my girlfriend a bit more leeway on the highway when she gets her test.
Looks like the bike has been well looked after, I'm very happy with it.
If ever you want to part with yours let me know
Cheers for the info.
Not selling my DT230, nor my spares bike (blown motor). However I'v got 2 spare 55th rear sprockets, if ya want one.
Your bike already has a non standard / lowered seat. It suited Paul that way too.
I first saw your bike when it was imported by a car dealer in ChCh. It had aftermarket links on it then, which combined with the seat must have been set up for a shorty in Japan.
XF650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #37
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF650 View Post
Not selling my DT230, nor my spares bike (blown motor). However I'v got 2 spare 55th rear sprockets, if ya want one.
Your bike already has a non standard / lowered seat. It suited Paul that way too.
I first saw your bike when it was imported by a car dealer in ChCh. It had aftermarket links on it then, which combined with the seat must have been set up for a shorty in Japan.
Not for a moment did I seriously think you would..... I waited a long time for mine to pop up & was lucky to get it.
If I have no joy in sourcing a sprocket I will PM you. Be more than happy to send some $$'s your way. Thank you.

Still trying to find a suitable spanner, I can't bring myself to batter it with an adjustable.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #38
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

With the addition of a couple of mounting brackets I decided to change the location of my tool tube today from the back side of the pannier bag to the underside of the rack extender and will also locate the extra tube with 1.5 Lt 2 stroke oil on the opposite side. So now the rack with fuel tank, tool tube and oil tube will easily be removed all in one go just with a few bolts.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
Gold Coaster
Black Betty

Oddometer: 20
My DT 230 Story

I recently sold my 2006 Yamaha FZ1. Here's a pic of it:

[/IMG]

For those of you that don't know what one is. It's a wicked road bike with the R1 engine and 150HP.
This thing was awesome. But.... I was missing the dirt.

I wanted a light trail bike. But what to get? I did about a month or so research on it. After working out many 250 4 strokes only had about 20 HP and I was used to 150 HP I new I would get bored pretty quick. That's why I decided to go 2 stroke.
I was looking for particular characteristics in a trail bike:

1) It had to have a lower seat height than your standard motocross bike because I'm a short arse. This ruled out most of them without using lowering links.
2) It had to be reliable. I kept find post that people had written about how little maintenance these DT230's need.
3) It had to be tuff.
4) Had to have key ignition. That ruled out the KTM's
5) Had to be electric start.
6) It had to be oil injected. (I didn't want to be mixing oil in my tank at petrol stations)

The DT230 has all this and more. It has a fully adjustable rear shock, traction control, digital display, comfy riding position, power valve.

There wasn't many for sale but I found 3. A 1999 one which I rode was a dog. The second was a 1999 again with full procircuit exhaust which sounded sweet, but never rode that one. and a 2001 didn't have any mods, just stock.
I decided to go the 2001.

Here's a pic of one - pretty much stock (this is what Mine looked like before I painted it (but mine had scratches all over it)
[/IMG]

Meet Black Betty (After I painted it)

Why I decided to paint it.
The DT230's have painted plastics, one of the reasons they didn't sell well. So the one I bought had scratched paint on the front guard, and rear fender etc...
I new I would keep crashing this thing and the scratches would keep getting worse and look crabby. So I decided to paint the whole thing matt black. I wanted to do this with pressure pack spray paint. So anytime I got a scratch. I could easily touch it up with a spray can and it would look good again.
The tank has not been finished yet I still have a coat of paint to do and some stickers to apply.

At the same time I thought I may as well improve the look of the bike, modernise it. So I got mirrors, LED indicators, and a new headlight. That's was a major improvement.

Next I wanted to improve the performance, so I got a Procircuit silencer, Boysen power reeds, rejetted carby and opened up the airbox. Holy Sheeeeeeet it flew after that!!! Before I had hardly any bottom end power, a little mid range and plenty up top. Now it is responsive in all throttle positions. I'm stoked.

People kept talking about a restrictor in the exhaust. But have confirmed the Australian ones did not come out with restrictors. There may be a catalytic converter in the stock silencer (one of the reasons I replaced it) it was also bloody heavy. I read a thread that the DT200 procircuit silencer fits straight on. It did and all the brackets where in the right position. For those of you that would like the info it is a Pro-Circuit 304 Silencer Part no: SY88200D-304 (DT200).

Also pulled the seat off, cut about 1 inch of foam off it with a bread knife, then used a rasp to even it out. It worked really well. I then wrapped the seat in about 1 cm of cushy foam and got a Xtech universal grippy seat cover for $40 from local yamaha dealer, and decided to reupholster it myself. It was a bit tricky but I'm pretty happy with it.

I added the rack on the back which I got off a TTR250 and modified to fit and am currently looking at ways I can carry more gear, fuel, etc...

Cheers

Mark

Gold Coaster screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 02:29 PM
Gold Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #40
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,173
I reckon you'll have a ball on that GC...don't forget the barkbusters.

What's the suspension like on these babies? Any adjustability? Do they need adjustability?

Have owned a couple of KDX200's before and I reckon the extra cc of the Yamaha along with leccy start could be a very good thing
Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #41
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Mark,

Your little scoot looks awesome.
Can't wait to meet up and head for a DT230 only blat.
Any chance you have a helmet cam?

Robo
Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #42
Gold Coaster
Black Betty

extra fuel & water

I am thinking about these fuel bladder. If something is consumed like fuel or water it make sense to be able to pack them away after you have used the contents in them.

These are from Liquid contaiments Located on the Gold Coast

7 Litre Fuel Jerry Can. Comes with eylets in each corner and drain funnel.

Made from Military spec TPU.

Price:$70.00

To carry water these water bladder will do the trick.

Nalgene Wide Mouth Cantene - 96 oz Canteen

they hold 2.8 litres and I got 4 of them. they are also BPA free. got them of ebay.com
Old 01-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #43
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Sheesh, no shortage of inspiration in this thread. Apparently a YZ 125 expansion chamber bolts straight onto the DT too.

Sadly my bike has to stay in stealth mode while my girlfriend learns on it. I should imagine they are proper quick when allowed to breath properly.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #44
Gold Coaster
Black Betty

That's great to know Harvey do you know what year YZ125 will fit. The EC looks like it heads up at the end on the DT230 (near the petrol tank) and Stays straight on a YZ125 (this is a 2000 model)

YZ 125 2000

DT 230

Open it up you wont regret it. The little thing is so much more responsive and nicer to ride.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #45
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

I first spotted the mod on the dirtrider forum, then it was backed up by my local mechanic. I will ask him when I get the chance. I would hazard a guess that it would be a bike of the same vintage. You will be off looking for old YZ's now eh?

I am......