Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Batman640 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Question Rim locks on Adv 640

Is there any need for rim locks on an 640adv
I had a flat tire this morning and I am wondering if I may have been getting some slippage yesterday while riding.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman640
Is there any need for rim locks on an 640adv
I had a flat tire this morning and I am wondering if I may have been getting some slippage yesterday while riding.
If you get tire/tube slippage, you will see the valve stem angle in its hole... thats why on a dirt bike, you don't use any nuts on a valve stem, just a plastic cap. If the tube rotates enough to pull the stem out, at least you can finish your ride instead of trying to figure out how your going to repair a stem ripped from the tube.

When I rode trials, 3 - 5 psi was and still is common. We would check our valve stems frequently, and puposely rotate the tire/tube on the rim in the opposite direction of rotation, to allow more time between realignments.

Usually, you need to be running less than 18 lbs of air to even begin to have a worry about tire/tube rotation. If you frequently run pressures below 18 psi, you may want to consider rim locks.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Batman640 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Bugger, that means I have a slow puncture.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman640
Bugger, that means I have a slow puncture.
Batman,

Welcome to the asylum and...
You need to finish filling out your public profile. Also, it's good to provide more detail in a question type of post.
Knowing who and what we are dealing with goes along way 'round here.

For example, if I knew what year your 640 was, then I might know if you still have the stock tubes. If you have the stock tubes, and tried low air pressures, you could have very easily pinched a tube on rough, hard ground or rocks, as the stock tubes don't fall into the category of "Heavy-duty".

Pinched tubes are the "other" problem with low air pressures. Premium HD tubes like Bridgestone "Ultras" are just about manditory when running low pressures over rough, hard ground as they are very thick and very tough to pinch or puncture.

G'night,
Creep
Old 02-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,814
Hey Creep,
I was always told to run no less than 21psi. Anyway, I have a 99 ADV with what is probably stock tubes and I was wondering: What would be the harm (if any) in running rim locks just for piece of mind? Does it make tire changes any harder? I noticed that me valve stems are angeled pretty bad abd I have those nuts onthe valve stem thread plus a plastic cap.

The main reason I am asking is because I am getting my new tires (MT21 & 606) mounted on Tuesday and want to know which way I should go
1)No nuts on vavle stems
2)rim locks just becasue I am a total N00B
3)trade it in for a tricycle
Craig
craigincali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
Hey Creep,
I was always told to run no less than 21psi. Anyway, I have a 99 ADV with what is probably stock tubes and I was wondering: What would be the harm (if any) in running rim locks just for piece of mind? Does it make tire changes any harder? I noticed that me valve stems are angeled pretty bad abd I have those nuts onthe valve stem thread plus a plastic cap.

The main reason I am asking is because I am getting my new tires (MT21 & 606) mounted on Tuesday and want to know which way I should go
1)No nuts on vavle stems
2)rim locks just becasue I am a total N00B
Craig
Hi ya Craig,

If your not going to run low pressures, you don't need rim locks.
Yes, rim locks makes tire changes more time consuming, and require quite a bit more weight if you want to to balance wheels with them.
You should consider running HD tubes to reduce the possibility of a pinch or puncture flat. Bridgestone Ultra HDs are the thickest tubes you can buy.

G'night
Old 02-28-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
I regularly run it down to 15/12 psi in the slimmy mud coverd rocks we have but I also run rim locks. never had an issue with tire slippage even flogging it on fairly good traction sections of trail or forrest srvice roads.
Some don't like them(I don't know why) but I've always had them. not that much trouble if you consider walking out.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:45 AM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Hey Creep,

Craig
ooooo, tricycles are comfy but a huge fashion statement:

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
I regularly run it down to 15/12 psi in the slimmy mud coverd rocks we have but I also run rim locks. never had an issue with tire slippage even flogging it on fairly good traction sections of trail or forrest srvice roads.
Some don't like them(I don't know why) but I've always had them. not that much trouble if you consider walking out.
ditto. Get 'em.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
I noticed that me valve stems are angeled pretty bad abd I have those nuts onthe valve stem thread plus a plastic cap.
You have angelic valve stems? That sounds heavenly.... Seriously now, just back off those nuts up to the base of the valve cap. That will prevent a valve stem rip unless you suck the thing all the way down the hole in one shot, which is pretty rare with pressures in the teens.

If you are already angling your stem, you should have a rimlock. My DRZ-S did not originally have a rimlock (the DRZ-E and DRZ-K do), and I never spun a tube with 15 psi but I did with 13psi (MT-21). I have also run a Tera-Flex and a trials tire (X-11 ???) which run at much lower pressures, and I feel I definitely need the rimlock.

This is on the rear only, I have never spun a front tire. Some people run 2 opposed rimlocks which solves balance issues but adds even more PITA to tire changes.

-Vincent
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,259
Most folks think 15 psi is about the dividing line where you start to run significant risk without rimlocks. Certainly over 20, you're fine without.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote