User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Jwenzel92 OP
Justin

Oddometer: 7
F800 vs. 800XC

Hey there, i am new here and wanted to learn more about some bikes.

So I know that there must be threads out there regarding the 800GS VS. 800XC, but I was wondering if someone could guide me to the right direction. I am new here, so I am not sure where to really begin

Hope to learn a lot from you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jwenzel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
Laugh

IMO the biggest difference is the gas tank... BMW has it under the seat that keep the bike narrow up front and tighter for off roading. I felt like I was stretching over the tank on the XC. Size of the gas tank? No problem... after 3.5 hours or riding my ass needs a rest...
Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Search is your friend. This has been discussed several times. I own an 800 GS and have ridden a friends Tiger. I was amazed how much I did not like it. 1) It's really top heavy. 2) I did not like the power band at all. No real power till over 3000 RPM's. By contrast the bmw bulls strongly at most points on the tach. 3) 2) is made worse by the Tiger being geared too high. The BMW does cost quite a bit more. You get what you pay for. Dave
Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
Search is your friend. This has been discussed several times. I own an 800 GS and have ridden a friends Tiger. I was amazed how much I did not like it. 1) It's really top heavy. 2) I did not like the power band at all. No real power till over 3000 RPM's. By contrast the bmw bulls strongly at most points on the tach. 3) 2) is made worse by the Tiger being geared too high. The BMW does cost quite a bit more. You get what you pay for. Dave
Did this guy just steal my job on this forum? Didn't think I could be replaced with such ease...

Need to play good cop then:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=tiger
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885833

with a hint of Reaver's Dickishness:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=f800gs+vs+800xc+advrider

To narrow it down: Tiger better on road, GS better off road. Both bike need to do some fixing, but the GS a bit more. If you are in for the used marked you'll find plenty of cheap GSses that are already farkled.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
If you are in for the used marked you'll find plenty of cheap GSses that are already farkled.
What's your definition of cheap? It's tough to find one in good shape with low miles and nice farkles for much less then about $9k. Normally they're in the $10k+ range. Compared to about $15k new, it's cheaper, but it's not exactly "cheap".

I know, because I have been kicking around what I want to buy for my next bike. Debating between a Wee, a S10, an F800GS, or a 9X0 Adventure (or Super Enduro ). The Wee is dirt cheap, but shitty off road. The S10 is pricey, a tad heavy, and decent off road. The F800GS is good off road, and seem to be pretty reliable. The big KTM's are beasts off road. Not really interested in the 800XC, everything I have heard about it seems like the GS is the same bike, but better.

I'm looking for something I can commute to work on every day, and still do longer multi-surface trips like a less-dirt oriented Baja trip, the CDR, TAT, or Alaska. I'm leaning more toward the F800GS, mostly because I think it'll be a better commuter then a big KTM (especially a SE), but it's a lot better off-road then the Wee and even the S10. If I did get a KTM (especially if it's a SE) I'd probably look for a cheap KLR to commute on.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,374
It's cheap in comparaison to its direct rival the XC since you can get them for around 6k and have a reliable easy to maintain engine. Even if you need to go to the stealer it will cost you about 2x-3x times less than a triumph service vise. For me that is a cheap BMW that is close to be one of the easiest to do a service on.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
gspirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I was recently in the same boat and chose the 800GS over the XC and have been loving it. Im more street orientated than dirt and use it as my daily while its above 40*. Great bike no regrets so far.

As already mentioned the XC power band didnt feel as good as the GS. Power definitely came on later vs the GS. The controls were also an issue as it appears little to no thought went into them on the XC where the GS is a lot more user friendly. I also did not like the shifter and rear brake placement on the XC.

There are lots of good deals on the GS's to be found, especially if your willing to travel a bit.

2013 F800GS
gspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I looked at both the Tiger and the 800 when I was in the market... I went with 800... About a month later a friend bought the Tiger.

We have done the same type of riding on a few trips together.... Glad I did not buy the Tiger for the following reasons.

-Cheap feeling. All of the parts feel cheap. They say "it comes with handguards and the 800GS doesnt".. Those "handguards" might as well be cardboard, so worthless.

-Too much plastic, too hard to work on. Just Getting to the airbox is a pain in the ass. There is too much plastic, too many bolts, and it's simply just too hard or a pain in the ass to do anything maintenance wise, especially in the field.

-Electrical issues. Within a few months he was having an issue with the bike stalling out and not starting. Sometime about dust getting in the stepper motor. Not a good thing when you are on a forest road miles from anywhere.

-Lack of upgrades. Not a whole lot on the market as far as upgrades like there is for the 800.

The only good aspect of the bike, is that it seems better on the road. Not sure if it's the engine, or the way the bike is designed, but it seems to ride really well on the street...

I am glad I never bought it. I do not like the look of them at all now. Too much plastic, too big looking, too much like a roadbike.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I had the Tiger 800 for...only 6 months.
A holiday in the Alps was enough for me to sell it
Like already explained here before:
- heavier in general,specifically top heavy
- tall and high in front (gas tank)
- too much plastic from a +/- quality
- GS more stable offroad
- better standing position for the gs
- offroad far behind the GS
- triple engine too sweet offroad (there should be a law that an offroadmotorcycle should have maximum 2 cylinders)
The PRO's of the T800:
- more comfort on the road
- great triple engine for the road
keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Jwenzel92 OP
Justin

Oddometer: 7
Man, I am so glad that I asked this question. You guys are so helpful. Thanks for all of the info. I am looking to do majority of roads and some fire trails. My father has the F800GS and loves the bike more than me I think. It is his pride and joy. I am in the military so I definitely want a bike that is reliable and I can travel the world with and ride wherever. Thanks for the help everyone Keep the great info flowing
Jwenzel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 288
my .02$

Agree 100% with all above comments. Spent 8 days on the back of an tiger800 in Ireland. Came home with the intent to buy one, test rode an f800 for comparisons sake and immediately bought one without hesitation. IMHO the tiger has stiffer suspension, an enthusiastic top end and nimble street feel. The f800(as previously mentioned), lower center of gravity, more low end grunt w a slightly snappy throttle and a weaker topend. I've had my gs for 15K miles of treating it like a drz and I've been nothing but impressed. Other things to note, the gs is an easier bike to get parts and has been building this type of bike for a long time. The koolaide only gets tastier the longer you have one.
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
sensor330
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I had the same dilemma back in Sept. I went with the Tiger. Since then I've put close to 7000km on it and haven't had any issues. About 30% of that has been off road. The Tiger is top heavy making it a bit harder to handle off road but it isn't a dirt bike but neither is the 800GS. As far as price goes I'd say the Tiger is far from 'cheap', I look at the GS and the 800XC and they both seemed to have about the same amount of 'plastic'. In fact if you priced out a Tiger with all the same accessories that come standard on the GS you'd find the price if fairly close, at least it was here in Canada. The reason I went with the Tiger was it seemed more esthetically pleasing then the GS, the triple is fantastic, and the dealership was a dream to deal with.

Scott
sensor330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,231
On the surface it looks like the F800 wins by a wide margin, but if you ask the same question down in the "Beasts" forum you'd get the opposite results.

Add to that the fact that most Moto journalists would vote for the Tiger and it becomes clear that there's a lot of brand loyalty in brand specific forums. Here's an excellent comparison review where they put the 800XC up against the "adventure touring big bikes" and mention the F800 not doing so well the year before. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/256/11...omparison.aspx
There are countless direct comparisons between the 2 bikes online if you google "Tiger 800XC vs F800GS", most with the same results. It depends entirely on how you will be riding. If you'll be doing plenty of serious off road riding, you'll want the F800. If it's going to be lots of highway, you won't like the F800, but the Tiger really shines.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,982
I have BMWs and have had Triumphs. There is nothing like a Triumph triple. That said; I had a BMW K75. There is also nothing like a BMW triple. If I were buying a Tiger or a F800, I'd buy the Tiger; but I'm not.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
If it's going to be lots of highway, you won't like the F800. . .
I don't think this is true at all. I agree completely that asking whether he F800 is a good bike in the Parallel universe is going to elicit an obvious response, but in my experience the F800 is great on the highway. I like to see the scenery, so don't cane it everywhere; perhaps this is why I feel this way!

I've never ridden the Tiger, but I can see that it's probably the better road bike. When it comes to a travel bike, I'd go for the BMW every time. Triumph obviously thought it looked good, they traced it in the design stages!
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote