Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #196
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
I bet the f800GS is way better in a tropical storm than the T800XC.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #197
Freakhead
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
too funny, well played!
Freakhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #198
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Oh boy....here we go again
tofire409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #199
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
Oh boy....here we go again

Where are we going... I want to plug it into my GPS.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #200
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
The 990 guys are rolling on the floor right now. Oh, wait...they don't ever reead Parallel Universe.

A few random thoughts -

Dealer network - the only shops that sell BMW in my area also sell Triumph.
KTM riders don't worry about dealer network.
20 lbs is a lot when you're trying to pick up the bike - ten times.
Ground clearance - damn well is important unless you're just riding gravel roads, no ruts, no baby heads, no ledges, no boulders. Get a 1200GSA.
I have a love-hate relationship with my BMW. I love it when I'm riding it, hate it when the latest recall comes out. The shift lever fell off my Sprint ST once when I went to downshift.

Both bikes are in a certain class. Get the best deal. I paid $14,000 OTD for my 800GS. Looking back, it was the best choice at the time.

Carry on.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #201
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Where are we going... I want to plug it into my GPS.
If I had my druthers it would be the TAT to the CDR to the TCAT back home
tofire409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #202
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Interesting to me about all the arguing...I long to see ANY DS bike in my neck of the woods. Big twins, touring rigs, and sport bikes make up 95% of the bikes I pass on a daily basis. I whoop and wave if I see anything remotely close to a dual sport...no matter what brand, age, or size.

Saw a guy on a V-Strom recently negotiating rush-hour traffic standing up. I happened to be stuck in a cage. All I could do is yell "Yeahhh...Show 'em how it's done, Boy!" Everyone around me at the stoplight though I was nuts.

The're right.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #203
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
Interesting to me about all the arguing...I long to see ANY DS bike in my neck of the woods. Big twins, touring rigs, and sport bikes make up 95% of the bikes I pass on a daily basis. I whoop and wave if I see anything remotely close to a dual sport...no matter what brand, age, or size.

Saw a guy on a V-Strom recently negotiating rush-hour traffic standing up. I happened to be stuck in a cage. All I could do is yell "Yeahhh...Show 'em how it's done, Boy!" Everyone around me at the stoplight though I was nuts.

The're right.
I bet an 800gs would do that better than an 800xc
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #204
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly911 View Post
Sweet mother, has it occurred to anyone that the easiest way to stop this thread and it's childish banter on "my bike is better than yours" is to stop posting in it?
But consider this

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #205
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 716
I was quite pleased with my F8 on the TransLab. I'm sure the Triumph would have done just as well, but I like the low rpm pulling power of the BMW. The XC I test rode didn't quite have that, but I've never ridden it off-road so hard to say. Here's me at the "end"....Manic5.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS

JustBob screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 07:53 PM
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #206
ilyaon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
maintenance cost

Have anyone compared how much does it cost for maintenance 800Xc vs F800GS?
The only information I could find was this article

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf

where 800XC = $784 and F800GS = $416

Could anyone confirm it?
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #207
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
The BMW number looks correct if a valve clearance check is included. It makes sense that the Triumph is more. 4 more valves to check. For the BMW find TDC, check 1 cylinder, rotate 360 and do the other.

For a Triumph, the crank has to be be rotated 2 times to check all 3 cylinders. The Triumph has shim under bucket. Remove the cams then the bucket to get to them. It is just more labor intensive.

As far as moto mag evaluations, that one is the best. More data and some explanation as to why. Mostly because I agree with it.

A couple of errors. No knock sensor on the BMW. Valve checks at 20,000 km not miles. All the rest is true. It does have a low rpm abrupt throttle. $250 will buy you a Throttle tamer and a fuel module and no more problem.

Compare the frame geometry. One is found on every street bike and the other on most dirt bikes. It works for Triumph because the front rim is the same width as a 19". Wide rim and more front weight keeps it stable.
Works on the street and the dirt until you ride some deep sand or loose deep gravel.

That triple is great for pavement. Above 8,000rpm it makes more power. Just like a street bike. Triumph did a great job with the torque curve. The problem is a triple has a power stroke for every 240degress of 1 engine rotation while the BMW has 1 every revolution(360degrees).

In the loose stuff the further the power strokes are from one another the better chance the rear wheel hooks up. That is why most dual sports and dirt bikes have single cylinder engines. They do it better with 1 for 2. I know the mag say you can overcome this by gearing up. True enough, but I have been where my bike won't pull the hill in 2nd gear at the speed required.

The reason I like my BMW is I like the dirt side of it. I do not ride dirt at 8,000 rpm and it has more than enough power. For a 500lb bike it just handles dirt better and the ergonomics is set up for that. On pavement I give Triumph their due. The reality is, its dirt manners are fine for where most "Adventure" riders are likely to ride.

I also know that if I wanted to make the BMW even dirtier all it takes is quality suspension and remove some weight. Expensive but possible.

I do not see much improvement for a Triumph. It still has street geomatry and a motor that makes great power but would require an expert rider to get it to the ground.

Arguing with a Triumph owner is like arguing religion or politics, they believe what they believe, damn the facts.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #208
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh

yeap.... the Tigers tank makes the bike feel big... sitting on it feel like I am riding the tank. The under the seat tank is a great design (f800gs that is)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #209
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I also know that if I wanted to make the BMW even dirtier all it takes is quality suspension and remove some weight. Expensive but possible.
I've ridden the 800XC maybe 100 miles and own a 2009 F8GS with 21,000 miles on it at present, maybe 60% dirt/gravel. I agree with your assessment of both bikes.

As a relative dirt newb I have been pretty satisfied with the F8GS. I've ridden the Translab and many forest service roads in North Georgia and Colorado the most challenging of which was Hagerman Pass. At my level, I like the suspension and am not sure I would want or could use something better. But then, what do I know. So....what specifically would you do to improve the suspension of the F8GS? I'm coming up on the 24,000 mile service and expect to service the suspension as well. Thanks.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #210
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
I can just tell you what I did. I think the suspension is soft for normal humans. The compression damping is/was too harsh.

A lot of what I ride is hard pack with a dose of gravel. Most of the roads are over granite. Hitting a protruding rock or a hole where one used to live, just beat me to death. The spring compressed quickly but the cartridge tube just froze it up. In other locations where the roads/trails were soft dirt, free of rocks and consisted of a lot of whoops it was fine. There was time for the valving to react.

First I resprung the bike. Several times. Eventually I just bit the bullet and changed out the front cartridge tube. It is mostly a front end problem, but if you just change that, the bike gets a pogo effect and you begin to notice how much better the front is over the rear.

An added benefit for a respring if you are in the 180+ class is the positive effect on pavement. It will sharpen up the handling. Might even make the TKC wobbles go away.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 07:39 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote