Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #226
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Two of the selling points for me when I bought my f800gs was the BMW was 54 pounds lighter than the triumph (per displayed weight at the dealer) and the service cost difference. I think the triumph is better looking and I'm certain that triple is sexy. Just couldn't get passed the weight difference.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #227
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
I only take my F8GS every 12,000 miles to have the valves checked. My most recent trip was for the 24,000 mile and it was $480 at BMW Atlanta. Parts were $103 for two gaskets, two plugs and 3 shims. Labor was $358. Then shop supplies and taxes. I had already done the oil/filter, brake bleeds. There were three intake valves that needed a smaller shim down one size. These are the first it's needed.

And FWIW, while riding back from Daytona with a friend on his 800XC, we did some roll-on "tests". One in 4th gear, and then one starting in 6th, from about 40mph. My GS eased away each time. Kinda surprised us both as we both are impressed with the smoothness of the triple.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #228
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper1970_au View Post
As at 28th of March 2013: Spoke to my local Triumph dealer in Melbourne Australia and was told the following:
1st service $360
All minor services $360
Every 20k $1,140

Local BMW dealer:
1st service $280
All minor services $280
Every 20k $400 approx

Given the F800GS has superior running costs (can't speak for other spare parts) and better fuel economy, I am leaning towards this bike over the XC. For me, this is a huge factor as I have a daily commute of 100km not to mention the varied roads we have here in Au.

NB: This is my first post, glad to be here.
welcome to the asylum but I can't imagine that a simple 20k service would be over 1000 bucks for the tiger. I mean I don't like it either but these numbers just seem like cheating and making it almost too easy for the parallel universe to bash the beasts.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #229
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,405
When Motocycle Consumer News did a comparison they estimated a total service of $784 "Merican"' I believe it, though a lot of owners did not.

It is a triple with shim under bucket cams. Lots of things buried under that fuel tank.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:46 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #230
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
When Motocycle Consumer News did a comparison they estimated a total service of $784 "Merican"' I believe it, though a lot of owners did not.

It is a triple with shim under bucket cams. Lots of things buried under that fuel tank.
Just went to my local dealer who is next to Triumph, KTM and Guzzi (do I need to say that I spend my spare time there? ). There happened to be a XC with the owner next to it. So I asked him about his services:
350 up to 650! He told me that his neighbour got up to 850 for the 40k km service. MY SWEET LORD. Never paid more than 200 for service (knock on wood). Can't believe I hesitated between the XC and the GS, that would have sealed the deal at the very beginning. Long live the GS!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #231
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&K View Post
Two of the selling points for me when I bought my f800gs was the BMW was 54 pounds lighter than the triumph (per displayed weight at the dealer) and the service cost difference. I think the triumph is better looking and I'm certain that triple is sexy. Just couldn't get passed the weight difference.
Its not a real new thing but bike makers fib about the weight of their bikes,they've been doing it since bikes were made.
I once had a 1991 DR350,claimed weight 245,actual weight 310.

Its really best to see what the magazines get for weight on their certified scales.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #232
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I have a friend, who's friend, who's friend, has problems with his tiger. (sorry i couldn't resist)

I was just in colorado, wyoming, montana, the dokotas.... on my tiger and another one. no problems.
Yeah,this thread seems to mainly be GS owners jumping all over the 800XC and congratulating themselves about their GS's.

After my one new BMW purchase Im all done with that brand no matter what they make,I dont even look at em.

And really,both the 800XC and the 800GS are both too big to be anymore then fireroad bikes,Im mainly a dirt rider and weight isnt what makes dirt riding fun.
Why wrestle a heavy expensive bike around on even semi serious dirt riding? Not saying it cant be done....but why?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #233
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Yeah,this thread seems to mainly be GS owners jumping all over the 800XC and congratulating themselves about their GS's.

After my one new BMW purchase Im all done with that brand no matter what they make,I dont even look at em.

And really,both the 800XC and the 800GS are both too big to be anymore then fireroad bikes,Im mainly a dirt rider and weight isnt what makes dirt riding fun.
Why wrestle a heavy expensive bike around on even semi serious dirt riding? Not saying it cant be done....but why?
What did you expect...... a tiger comparisson thread in the 8gs forum. I am sure you will find the same bias over in the tiger forum.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #234
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:

I too favor the dirt riding, but I chose an 800 because a loaded down smaller bike, while markedly more fun in the dirt, boarder lined dangerous to me after a week on the road.

I prefer to have the 800 for expedition type fun, and a smaller DS for local riding and thrashing.

Trying to get one to do everything is like searching for unicorn tears.. Have to compromise somewhere.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #235
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
What did you expect...... a tiger comparisson thread in the 8gs forum. I am sure you will find the same bias over in the tiger forum.
Ooops,excuse me,I had only done a search on XC800,didnt know it was a German Kool-Aid infused thread.

Carry on with the worship of all things Germanic,they really are by far the superior machine.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #236
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
I too favor the dirt riding, but I chose an 800 because a loaded down smaller bike, while markedly more fun in the dirt, boarder lined dangerous to me after a week on the road.

I prefer to have the 800 for expedition type fun, and a smaller DS for local riding and thrashing.

Trying to get one to do everything is like searching for unicorn tears.. Have to compromise somewhere.
Hence all the different sized bikes in my sig.
And really the 200KTM went out every weekend all winter,then the 530 goes out for faster dirt.
I do think most ADV'ers dont take their big ADV bikes far off road,if at all.
Hard on the re-sale value.
And body parts if a 650+ lb loaded bike should land on extremities.

If I get a XC800 it would stay on 2 track and fireroads,seems like a nice roadbike that can cruise some dirt.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #237
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ooops,excuse me,I had only done a search on XC800,didnt know it was a German Kool-Aid infused thread.
I don't think it is.

Carry on with the worship of all things Germanic,they really are by far the superior machine.
I don't think they are.

I was eluding to your post.....

Just trying to explain the bias here.

Erling
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #238
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:

because trailering a bike to the places i ride my tiger would be dumb. i want to leave my house on my tiger and come back in a couple days. and while i'm out exploring around i will ride whatever the ever the hell i want. if its a dirt road it gets ridden, if its single track it gets ridden... oh and because i can! (and partially because some people say you shouldn't/ can't)
when i go ride my dirt bike i sleep in my bed the night before and the night after (most of the time).
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #239
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Hence all the different sized bikes in my sig.
And really the 200KTM went out every weekend all winter,then the 530 goes out for faster dirt.
I do think most ADV'ers dont take their big ADV bikes far off road,if at all.
Hard on the re-sale value.
And body parts if a 650+ lb loaded bike should land on extremities.

If I get a XC800 it would stay on 2 track and fireroads,seems like a nice roadbike that can cruise some dirt.

Not far off road! But we can spend 8 days camping and riding remote areas where you can't get 4x4s and the trail bikes haven't got the fuel range. Horses for courses. You like the stuff you do ..... We like the stuff we do. I have the Tiger 800xc because its the best bike for me, a commuter during the week and explorer on the weekend.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #240
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post

Not far off road! But we can spend 8 days camping and riding remote areas where you can't get 4x4s and the trail bikes haven't got the fuel range. Horses for courses. You like the stuff you do ..... We like the stuff we do. I have the Tiger 800xc because its the best bike for me, a commuter during the week and explorer on the weekend.
That is a cool picture right there. Captures all the exitement..... Great stuff.....

Erling