ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #241
JRose
Studly Adventurer
 
JRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Birmingham, 'Murica
Oddometer: 627
I might be a horrible BMW owner, because I really liked the Tiger I rode...

I want one.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #242
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ooops,excuse me,I had only done a search on XC800,didnt know it was a German Kool-Aid infused thread.

Carry on with the worship of all things Germanic,they really are by far the superior machine.
I think that is an overstatement. This thread is certainly not as bad as the one in Beast where some Triumph owners weren't satisfied with the bikes just having different approaches. Their bike just had to be better in every way.

Better at what? Loading it up with a lot of aftermarket farkles, running down the highway with an occasional dirt road? In all honesty that is where most adventure bikes end up and you don't need a dedicated bike to do it.

I wasn't impressed with German engineering or quality control. The warranty fixed the quality issues and I addressed suspension and abrupt throttle issues.

According to 800XC owners theirs were perfect on delivery, so I have to give Triumph credit for doing it right. I think BMW is doing better, I know a lot of the complaints have been addressed, but most of them were really BS anyway.

For ME, my modified F800gs is just fine. It is not a slug, certainly as fast as the 800xc up to any speed I will be riding it. I like the power delivery. Lots of torque (more than 800Xc) that gets the power to the ground without a lot of wheel spin nor a need to continually shift gears. Boring to some I guess, but a benefit off pavement. Not a fast turning bike, but I am continually impressed with how stable my bike is off tarmac. Get out of shape and a little throttle brings you back.

They are what they are, find one that fits you.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 06:29 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #243
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 760
Speed. Coming back from Daytona, a friend on his 800XC and me on my F800GS, both loaded and on a straight back road did a few roll-on tests. One starting in 4th gear and one starting in 6th. My GS, in both cases eased away from his Triumph until we stopped the contest around 110 or so.
Having done a comparo for BMW MOA magazine between these two bikes (and an R100GS to add to the fun) I was a bit surprised by this. The 800XC has one fine smooth motor with plenty of what you need for any realistic situation. My GS does too, just not as butter smooth, but with the character of a boxer twin ( which I like). Anyway, Triumph obviously took aim at the F8GS and did quite well. I just wish either would come with decent suspension. Now at 24,000 miles, my F8GS is running strong so rather than do what I normally do with a bike that's 4 years old, I didn't sell it but upgraded with Ohlins on both ends. I think I would have done the same with the 800XC had I bought it first. My friend really likes his and uses it for everything....sport touring, dirt riding, whatever.
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #244
kinimod
Adventurer
 
kinimod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Zagreb, Croatia for now
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Speed. Coming back from Daytona, a friend on his 800XC and me on my F800GS, both loaded and on a straight back road did a few roll-on tests. One starting in 4th gear and one starting in 6th. My GS, in both cases eased away from his Triumph until we stopped the contest around 110 or so.
Having done a comparo for BMW MOA magazine between these two bikes (and an R100GS to add to the fun) I was a bit surprised by this. The 800XC has one fine smooth motor with plenty of what you need for any realistic situation. My GS does too, just not as butter smooth, but with the character of a boxer twin ( which I like). Anyway, Triumph obviously took aim at the F8GS and did quite well. I just wish either would come with decent suspension. Now at 24,000 miles, my F8GS is running strong so rather than do what I normally do with a bike that's 4 years old, I didn't sell it but upgraded with Ohlins on both ends. I think I would have done the same with the 800XC had I bought it first. My friend really likes his and uses it for everything....sport touring, dirt riding, whatever.
What exactly from Ohlins did you put, only springs, springs in front, complete shock in the back or something else?
How does it feel now after the upgrade?
kinimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #245
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
What exactly from Ohlins did you put, only springs, springs in front, complete shock in the back or something else?
How does it feel now after the upgrade?
I got from FastBikeIndustries in Hendersonville, NC, a BM043 Ohlins shock with the appropriate spring for my weight. It's on the bike. The forks are at the shop waiting parts for the "Ohlins 30mm fork kit" plus SKF seals. He uses my tubes and replaces the internals. He will put the appropriate springs in the forks. The bike is now suspended, Ohlins shock installed, awaiting forks. So I can't say how the bike rides. At 24,000 miles it was time for a service so I just went all out. Total cost is $2,250 for both ends.
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #246
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer
 
steveWFL's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I got from FastBikeIndustries in Hendersonville, NC, a BM043 Ohlins shock with the appropriate spring for my weight. It's on the bike. The forks are at the shop waiting parts for the "Ohlins 30mm fork kit" plus SKF seals. He uses my tubes and replaces the internals. He will put the appropriate springs in the forks. The bike is now suspended, Ohlins shock installed, awaiting forks. So I can't say how the bike rides. At 24,000 miles it was time for a service so I just went all out. Total cost is $2,250 for both ends.
Best mod money ever spent^^^^^^^^^
__________________
KTM EXC - in 530 flavor
'10 Concours14 with >85,000 miles and ticking'
'99 ZX9R Ninja - rolling retro style
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #247
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 760
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Best mod money ever spent^^^^^^^^^
Yep. This is the same guy who did the work on my MultiStrada. Turned it into a bike worthy of the engine.
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #248
kinimod
Adventurer
 
kinimod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Zagreb, Croatia for now
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I got from FastBikeIndustries in Hendersonville, NC, a BM043 Ohlins shock with the appropriate spring for my weight. It's on the bike. The forks are at the shop waiting parts for the "Ohlins 30mm fork kit" plus SKF seals. He uses my tubes and replaces the internals. He will put the appropriate springs in the forks. The bike is now suspended, Ohlins shock installed, awaiting forks. So I can't say how the bike rides. At 24,000 miles it was time for a service so I just went all out. Total cost is $2,250 for both ends.
Hmm sounds great and the money spent isnt so ridiculous. Iam interested how would it feel and also the reliability, so please write when you get the bike.
kinimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #249
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
Hmm sounds great and the money spent isnt so ridiculous. Iam interested how would it feel and also the reliability, so please write when you get the bike.
No reason to believe that the reliability will be any less than it was. At least now I will have units that are designed to be overhauled periodically. The ride should be fun. On-road was the weakest link with this bike with a non-responsive rear and spongy front. Off-road it was OK. We shall see. I should have the forks on next week.
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #250
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
I might be a horrible BMW owner, because I really liked the Tiger I rode...

I want one.
I'm debating between 800xc and f800 so this thread was really helpful. Going back to the OP question, "with the triumph 800xc out would you still buy an f800gs?" Other than the quote above I've heard a resounding "hell yeah I would" from all of you BMW owners who posted. Glad to hear it. I'm gonna ride both, go with my gut and make the right decision for me. If it doesn't work out no big deal cuz I'll sell it and try another one. I definitely lean toward the BMW. It gets 115 where I live and I don't want my leg to melt from engine heat.
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #251
kinimod
Adventurer
 
kinimod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Zagreb, Croatia for now
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
No reason to believe that the reliability will be any less than it was. At least now I will have units that are designed to be overhauled periodically. The ride should be fun. On-road was the weakest link with this bike with a non-responsive rear and spongy front. Off-road it was OK. We shall see. I should have the forks on next week.
well i heard of some reliability issues with people changing to Ohlins from stock on 1200gs, so that is why ive commented it. But i would be glad to hear your impressions when you get your bike back.
kinimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #252
kinimod
Adventurer
 
kinimod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Zagreb, Croatia for now
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I got from FastBikeIndustries in Hendersonville, NC, a BM043 Ohlins shock with the appropriate spring for my weight. It's on the bike. The forks are at the shop waiting parts for the "Ohlins 30mm fork kit" plus SKF seals. He uses my tubes and replaces the internals. He will put the appropriate springs in the forks. The bike is now suspended, Ohlins shock installed, awaiting forks. So I can't say how the bike rides. At 24,000 miles it was time for a service so I just went all out. Total cost is $2,250 for both ends.
I forgot to ask you is that 30mm kit somekind of special kit for f800 or it is something modified by fastbikeindustries. Because on Ohlins page I see those kits only for hypersport motorcycles, but not for any of the dualsports?
kinimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #253
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
I forgot to ask you is that 30mm kit somekind of special kit for f800 or it is something modified by fastbikeindustries. Because on Ohlins page I see those kits only for hypersport motorcycles, but not for any of the dualsports?
I don't know. What he does is get an Ohlins fork kit of "over 100 pieces" and assemble it to stuff into my OEM tubes. I never asked....should have I guess. He did essentially the same thing with the stock forks on my Multistrada and made it way better. (Although there wasn't an Ohlins kit for the Marzocchi fork so he used internals from another outfit.)
Anyway, I hadn't heard of reliability issues for the R12GS. Maybe it'll be OK as the forks on the 12GS is a shock but standard forks on the F8GS.
Were the reliability issues you heard for the 12GS, ESA or standard?
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #254
kinimod
Adventurer
 
kinimod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Zagreb, Croatia for now
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I don't know. What he does is get an Ohlins fork kit of "over 100 pieces" and assemble it to stuff into my OEM tubes. I never asked....should have I guess. He did essentially the same thing with the stock forks on my Multistrada and made it way better. (Although there wasn't an Ohlins kit for the Marzocchi fork so he used internals from another outfit.)
Anyway, I hadn't heard of reliability issues for the R12GS. Maybe it'll be OK as the forks on the 12GS is a shock but standard forks on the F8GS.
Were the reliability issues you heard for the 12GS, ESA or standard?
Well actualy I do not have real info on that, I have just read posts on HUBB from some people who were claiming that they had friends who had problem with their Ohlins setup. But it could very well be exaggeration. That is way I have asked you if you have heard of anything similar and also to write your future experiences.

Sorry if I have worried you for nothing.
kinimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #255
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
Well actualy I do not have real info on that, I have just read posts on HUBB from some people who were claiming that they had friends who had problem with their Ohlins setup. But it could very well be exaggeration. That is way I have asked you if you have heard of anything similar and also to write your future experiences.

Sorry if I have worried you for nothing.
What in particular are you speaking of? Ohlins has the integrated rear shock on the 1200GSA thats all computerized...
I've had the Ohlins rear shock on my Tiger XC now for a little while with no issues.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014