Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #121
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
again FWIW

Quote:
The stalling issue has been resolved by the Triumph factory with a tune update that was released today to the Global Dealer Network. This new computer tune will be downloaded in all 2011 & 2012 Tiger 800 models build prior to a specific vin#.
Direct from Triumph....carry on
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #122
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
It's not that we disagree with this sentiment, it's just the disrespectful delivery that causes issues.

I don't dislike the Tiger, it's just that I prefer the GS for logical reasons that relate to me alone and no one else ... my problem ... OK.

One point ... I have a few farkles on my GS (Unifilter, LV muffler, Accelerator module) that have produced the best throttle response I have ever experienced in a four stroke motor ... in anything Its just fabulous from idle to red line ... if only my Citroen DS3 Sport was like that. (It's a bit funny just off idle ... an "accelerator module" would probably clean it right up!). In comparison the Tiger XC is great up top, but below 3,000 revs my GS is just heaps better. It doesn't stall either! and yes the crappy gearing is still better than the TIger.

I note that I doubt there is an accelerator module for my Citroen or the Tiger XC.
I've been very civil actually and endured many insults trying to have an adult discussion. I even offered to go riding with the lost rider which turned into more insults and regrettably i returned an insult which i never do and that was my fault. But that was one post to several insults from lost rider. I've given props to the F800GS over and over even when folks have tried to reduce the tiger i replyed with reason giving the F800GS props. I'm not doing that out of fake politeness i actually think its a great bike and recommend it often. I'm finding it puzzling where the anger is coming from. I certainly have not incited it it. I've said how good the F800GS is at very single post. I'm just sticking up for the tiger for the causal lurker. I'm a BMW owner myself and have no animosity for the brand.

While the bikes are similar there are differences that should be discussed with civility for the uninformed to make good judgments. Me saying that i think one bike is better for adventure touring should not create an eruption of velum and hate. This is an opinion thread after all. Lets stick to the spirit of the thread and stop trolling.Can adults not have different ideas without threats and insults? If your pleased with your choice no need for anger and hate right?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #123
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
blah blah blah....

I like this, you like that. Who cares? Test ride, buy what you like and SUFT!

Oh and just because two women like the tiger better riding on road through Canadia... ummm... that's not going to change the way I feel about my bike. I'll put my bike up against any tiger you want to bring. Old, new, farkled or not. I haven't ridden a tiger and don't plan to until my friend who has tiger list buys one. Then I'll test drive the shit outta that thing in the real world.

Oh and as far as front end bias... try doing a simple mod and tuning the forks. If you are comparing a stock bike to a stock bike with no suspension tuning??? HAHA you might as well just read an article on them because you are riding crap suspension. Doesn't matter what bike you test. Factory settings are crap.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #124
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post

Last year I made my first foray into a street legal bike and really did not make a wise purchase for where I live. It is just not street worthy enough to cover the miles I need to get to dirt. Having spent all my life in the dirt I went with what was comfortable at that time. It got me through my licensing and has made me much more comfortable on the street, but I am salivating to hit the Sierras and other rides even further out. Hoping by x-mas to be throwing my leg over one of these two contested beasts. Please keep the useful banter up.

K.B.
I'll ignore the insults and get to the meat. Before you buy you really need to ignore all this crap and go ride the bikes. Both are awesome bikes but you really need to ride both!!. While some here would have you believe the Tiger is a road bike other reviewers which rode the bike in all conditions thought the Tiger a better dirt bike. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/254/10...on-Review.aspx
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #125
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
. Factory settings are crap.
Most everything else you said was dead on but actually the factory settings on the Tiger are dead on as wel.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #126
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Most everything else you said was dead on but actually the factory settings on the Tiger are dead on as wel.
That statement right there tells us that you know little about what you are talking about. Dead on for whom? For you or for every rider who might buy a tiger?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #127
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
That statement right there tells us that you know little about what you are talking about. Dead on for whom? For you or for every rider who might buy a tiger?
And you just posted that you haven't ridden the Tiger so how would you know what the factory settings are like? You're obviously basing that opinion on how your BMW came from its factory.
I do agree that most forks need to be fiddled with, but Triumph have hit on a really good set up on the Tiger800XC.
The reason I bought the Triumph was that the BMW I owned several years ago was horribly unreliable and I vowed "never again". In comparison the Tiger955 I've owned for 9 years and 65000 miles has never, ever gone wrong. And, I looked at things like the shock top mount on the BM800GS and thought "if that's what their design is like all over"..........no thanks.
My 2p.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #128
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
I often wonder why people who obviously don't like BMW even look in the BM threads.....

I love my f800 and I would rather walk on broken glass then even acknowledge that Triumph makes an adventure bike.

Just my 2pc

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #129
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by lout View Post
I debated this very thing.. and chose a F800GS...BMW has sorted out most of the problems now.

Maybe in a year I'd risk the Tiger.

But the BMW coolaid is so yummy!!

(just giving you a hard time!)

you all are cracking me up. i will have to say that i love both bikes. the honest to god reason i bought the tiger is because in the long run it was thousands cheaper (for me). in fact i went in to buy the F800 and walked out with the TigerXC... i thought we were all here to be fellow ADV riders? every bike suits every rider in a different way.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #130
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
The funny thing about this guy is the fact that he thinks ADV is anonymous with the way he talks to people...

I looked at his posts after he decided to take his shenanigans into my Vendor thread... Turns out he bought the bike from Rocket Motorcycle. Turns out I know Lance (who's a manager there) pretty well from some track days, so I made a quick call.... They think he's a "tool" too, and not surprising this fellow is a douche in real life like he is online.

Luckily he's on my ignore so I'm not offended by his childish posts, but keep seeing peoples responses....

You never really know who you might run into while riding in SoCal...

Until he gets banned again, I suggest we all just add him to your ignore list.

Done....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #131
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
GOD!!! Can we just get back to comparisons? Enough with the banter already!
One point from me: The F8 has had over three years to come up with and resolve said problems. Give the Triumph time to develop its own and then compare.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #132
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
And you just posted that you haven't ridden the Tiger so how would you know what the factory settings are like? You're obviously basing that opinion on how your BMW came from its factory.
I do agree that most forks need to be fiddled with, but Triumph have hit on a really good set up on the Tiger800XC.
The reason I bought the Triumph was that the BMW I owned several years ago was horribly unreliable and I vowed "never again". In comparison the Tiger955 I've owned for 9 years and 65000 miles has never, ever gone wrong. And, I looked at things like the shock top mount on the BM800GS and thought "if that's what their design is like all over"..........no thanks.
My 2p.
Sigh. What rider weight & riding style is it set up for from the factory? It might "feel" better to you out of the box, but for others it might feel terrible. That's all I'm saying. Unless you have ever ridden a motorcycle with tge suspension set up by a professional you have no clue how good it can be.

I ride a GSXR-750 trackbike at trackdays and have learned much about suspension. I have completely redone my F800GS forks to make them tuneable. The difference in riding feel, bike capability, and tire wear is night and day. It will pay for itself in tire wear.

So don't BS yourself & everyone here and say the tiger suspension is "dead on" as there is no such thing when it comes to motorcycles.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #133
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Sigh. What rider weight & riding style is it set up for from the factory? It might "feel" better to you out of the box, but for others it might feel terrible. That's all I'm saying. Unless you have ever ridden a motorcycle with tge suspension set up by a professional you have no clue how good it can be.

I ride a GSXR-750 trackbike at trackdays and have learned much about suspension. I have completely redone my F800GS forks to make them tuneable. The difference in riding feel, bike capability, and tire wear is night and day. It will pay for itself in tire wear.

So don't BS yourself & everyone here and say the tiger suspension is "dead on" as there is no such thing when it comes to motorcycles.

I agree that set up suspension is un-touchable! A bike with suspension set up to your height, weight, and so on is awesome! With that said we are not comparing suspension shops. We are comparing 2 STOCK bikes. I have not ridden the F8 but will say that the Stock TigerXC suspesion has impressed me.
This brings me to another point. Any bike can be set up for any rider. If you test ride a bike and dont like the suspension, handlbar height, etc always remember that it can be set up to perfection for you (with some extra coin of course)!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #134
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
As I said you can't go wrong with the F800GS is a awesome bike but for some including myself the Tiger is the better choice, Especially if road and trail comfort is a big factor with you. Not to mention the extremely smooth inline triple. Some think the Tiger preforms better offoad while others say the F800GS but i think it depends of what the offroad conditions are. The lower center of gravity gives the f800GS the advantage in the sand while the more controllable power gives the Tiger the advantage on the dirt roads. The lighter weight gives the F800GS advantages in the rock gardens but the Tiger has a better front end suspension. Its really up to the individual to make his or her choice.
So if I (a) re-did my suspension for under $500, (b) fixed the fuelling so it is smooth as butter by going to a 15/42 and adding a $75 fuelling module (there are many on the market), and (c) had a custom seat done by Mr. Ed's moto for a couple hundy....

What would we be comparing exactly? My bike set up as I would any bike vs. a stock Triumph XC which I would have to do other things to it to make it "mine".

This discussion is silly. How can I compare a stock bike to a stock bike. Its like you walked into a bar, sat down next to some guy and said, "So if you could have married my wife would you still be sitting there with your wife?" How well do you think that would go over?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #135
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Is she hot?
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote