Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #1681
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
If you read through the Tiger 800 main thread, you'll find that the mystery was solved a long time ago. Reread my previous post.

--mark
Yeah Mark but I still remain not completely convinced. Mainly because the noise comes from right under the tank where the fuel pump is and not down to the RHS behind the engine where the stepper motor is. Sorry mate.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #1682
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Yeah Mark but I still remain not completely convinced. Mainly because the noise comes from right under the tank where the fuel pump is and not down to the RHS behind the engine where the stepper motor is. Sorry mate.

Then allow me to convince you. Get down on the right side of the bike with a flashlight and look up a few inches inside the frame, to the rear of the cylinder head, and find the small accordion-boot-covered plunger attached to the stepper motor. Cycle the bike's ignition on and off, shine the light on that plunger, and watch it move in sync with the faxing sound. From that position it also becomes quite obvious that the sound is coming from that location.

Try it, you'll see.

I'll also add that for those who have the stalling issue, giving that plunger a little squirt of WD40 and cycling the ignition will solve the problem. It happened to me a couple of times on my Labrador/Newfoundland trip this past summer, and the WD40 cured it until more dust accumulated.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1683
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Then allow me to convince you. Get down on the right side of the bike with a flashlight and look up a few inches inside the frame, to the rear of the cylinder head, and find the small accordion-boot-covered plunger attached to the stepper motor. Cycle the bike's ignition on and off, shine the light on that plunger, and watch it move in sync with the faxing sound. From that position it also becomes quite obvious that the sound is coming from that location.

Try it, you'll see.
I disagree, as well. I can get my ear within 4" of mine and it makes no noise and moves for a just a fraction of a second. Also, my "fax" noise comes from up toward the front of my fuel tank.

Once it warms up a bit, I'll set my tank sideways on the frame and go through my previous start/stop sequences. I'll find it, one way or another.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #1684
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:

Try it, you'll see.

I'll also add that for those who have the stalling issue, giving that plunger a little squirt of WD40 and cycling the ignition will solve the problem. It happened to me a couple of times on my Labrador/Newfoundland trip this past summer, and the WD40 cured it until more dust accumulated.

--mark
+1 While diagnosing my own idle issues I saw this with my own eyes.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #1685
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I disagree, as well. I can get my ear within 4" of mine and it makes no noise and moves for a just a fraction of a second. Also, my "fax" noise comes from up toward the front of my fuel tank.

Once it warms up a bit, I'll set my tank sideways on the frame and go through my previous start/stop sequences. I'll find it, one way or another.
Perhaps, but you're talking about a completely different model bike. I can't speak to how it works on the Tiger 1050, but I'm not bullshitting about how it works on the Tiger 800. I've watched it in action several times. Obviously so has Mercury264.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #1686
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
I'll check it out Mark, but if it is a common noise to all of the newer Triumph line, including those without stepper motors, then it has to be something else.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #1687
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Mark, I will need to do the WD-40 treatment I guess. I am having serious stalling issue especially when the bike is hot from elongated time of 2nd gear riding. Has anyone put up pictures of this? Also, what else should I be doing to counter this stalling issue.

Quote:
Perhaps, but you're talking about a completely different model bike. I can't speak to how it works on the Tiger 1050, but I'm not bullshitting about how it works on the Tiger 800. I've watched it in action several times. Obviously so has Mercury264.

--mark
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #1688
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,538
I don't know shit, but my dealer said its resetting everything for proper start up. Good enough for me.

Tek, remove the tank & airbox. The stepper motor arm needs to be clean & lubed. Here's some pics

Stepper motor

Throttle roller

Wider shot
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #1689
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Also, what else should I be doing to counter this stalling issue.
Make sure you've got the latest ECU tune in it. The tune in mine has anti-stalling properties like a diesel. So much so that it'll tickover up a 1in5 hill in second gear!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1690
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I'll check it out Mark, but if it is a common noise to all of the newer Triumph line, including those without stepper motors, then it has to be something else.
I have not heard the same noise on my Speed Triple and Sprint.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #1691
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

OK, so when people say to remove the arm and lube it, what exactly are you talking about

From the pic it appears the little nut bottom right has been remove to pull that shaft out - is that correct ? If so, how did you get that bolt out with the throttle body in the way - as per the pic ?

When I was diagnosing my stalling issues, I wanted to undo that nut to get to the shaft and clean and lube but IIRC, I couldn't get it out due to the throttle body being in the way.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #1692
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,538
That pic is all that was done. I cleaned up with cloth & compressed air. Lubed the stepper arm & throttle roller.
You don't want to screw up this gap

Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #1693
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I have not heard the same noise on my Speed Triple and Sprint.
My wife's Street Triple makes the same noise. Must be the 675s not the 1050s and since our 800s are based on the 675???

When we shut both bikes off they race to see which one can fax home first.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #1694
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Thanks Rob - so you didn't actually remove that nut I mentioned then ? The one at the end of the shaft - it just looked like it had had a spanner on it at some point.

I did fix mine by pretty much doing the same thing, I was just curios if I was missing something.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #1695
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 727
Stepper motor

I thought you just pulled the rubber boot back and spray some dry lube in there?
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote