Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #1771
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,046
^ Snip from their web page: " Touratech's countershaft sprocket guard for the Triumph Tiger 800 XC replaces the plastic cover to give a clear view of the final drive. On a long trip this means you can constantly check the sprocket for wear..." -

I've always wanted a clear view of the SC sprocket. Makes the bike more dirt worthy.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #1772
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
^ Snip from their web page: " Touratech's countershaft sprocket guard for the Triumph Tiger 800 XC replaces the plastic cover to give a clear view of the final drive. On a long trip this means you can constantly check the sprocket for wear..." -

I've always wanted a clear view of the SC sprocket. Makes the bike more dirt worthy.
I have pulled that plastic cover off before and it's completely full of shit. I think it would help in that regard.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #1773
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I have pulled that plastic cover off before and it's completely full of shit. I think it would help in that regard.
Agreed - that's the reason my smaller DS bikes have case savers but not CS sprocket cover; too much junk gets trapped in there.

Has anyone made a nice CS sprocket cover for the T800, that is the "cage" style, not like TT makes?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #1774
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,046
Quote:
Like Yossarian, I'm looking for case protection, not Touratrinket baubles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #1775
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
The bypass coolant host is right in front of the CS as well. If the chain ever lets loose it's gonna take out some shit.

I took the plastic cover thingy off and left it off. Both bikes. Just don't find a purpose other than trim. And yes, for offroad you can see if crap gets pulled up into that area.

Some kind of case saver would make a lot of sense. Triumph obviously doesn't build 'dirtbikes'.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #1776
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
the "case guard" is the touratech sprocket guard from what I can see. it's just a fancy stock replacement.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...umph-Tiger-800

Thanks FBJ!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #1777
pmb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I did the same thing this past weekend. I figured I would post a short video of some of the terrain I tested them on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naLfXZZtbDs
I think I was checking out your setup at the races in Middleboro last Saturday. Nice!

#343 40+ C

Pat
pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #1778
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmb View Post
I think I was checking out your setup at the races in Middleboro last Saturday. Nice!

#343 40+ C

Pat
HA Yep that was me.
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #1779
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I may add that the first few miles are sketchy on the TKCs. They felt like I was on ice. It may be the mold release on the tire, or the little mold finger things, or my perception. But they took a hundred miles for me to not miss my stock tires for the street. But off road they are a much safer bet than the battlewings.
Its the mold fingers. Take a few minutes with a fingernail clipper and clip all of them off. That will get it started off right.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #1780
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post

I have the Touratech CS sprocket cover. Will not let crap get trapped in the CS sprocket area like the OEM will. It also allows you to lube it where the OEM version will not. Last but not least, you can check the torque of the CS sprocket nut without taking the cover off.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #1781
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I have the Touratech CS sprocket cover. Will not let crap get trapped in the CS sprocket area like the OEM will. It also allows you to lube it where the OEM version will not. Last but not least, you can check the torque of the CS sprocket nut without taking the cover off.

SOLD
Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #1782
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
Bike has been dialed in and redialed.

This Bike Love Dirt But it's definitely not a Dirt Bike!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #1783
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
This Bike Love Dirt But it's definitely not a Dirt Bike!

Awesome!

Just curious if you needed to clean or have any issues with the stepper motor & air filter with all that sand/dirt going everywhere?

Thx.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #1784
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Point 1, OK but lubing at the front sprocket??? Never! And why would you need to check the torque of the nut? It's got a bent over washer on it. Which, I suppose, if you want another positive, you can inspect visually with the TT cover.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #1785
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Awesome!

Just curious if you needed to clean or have any issues with the stepper motor & air filter with all that sand/dirt going everywhere?

Thx.
Dave
Yes issues with the stepper! It was a pain in the ASS until I learned were to spray WD40 (with the long straw) I carry a small can now on the bike. Only an issue every 3or 4 days of dusty off road.
I just got my Uniflter - prefilter which should make a big difference. Just need to clean my K&N filter before popping it in.
My Bike ran very well in lots and lots of dirt for 11 days of Death Valley and Moab Dirt. doing an average of 1 hour maintenance per night. Chain cleaning/lubing every night, adjusting and tightening lots of shit.
Very happy with this bike off road reminding myself often this is not a dirt bike.