Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #1921
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
what was temperature bar showing at that time?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #1922
GuiltyParty
drifter

Oddometer: 313
The usual, about mid-way. As far as I can tell the sensor has been working. No other warning lights except the low oil pressure warning light that comes on when it stalls. The high coolant temperature indicator didn't come on when it made the gurgling sound either.

If it was the clutch slipping and stalling I should still be able to start it.

GuiltyParty screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 02:19 AM Reason: added additional info
GuiltyParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #1923
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Hm...this is weird for sure.
Could it be infamous problem with not lubricated stepper motor linkage?
I am not sure it is related to temperature judging by facts.
I assume you have up to date firmware, so it must be stepper or electrics...
Old 06-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #1924
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

But then stepper motor was looked after too from what I read before.

Here is idea. What about checking for errors log via OBD2? I am sure it should have kept something from those cases...
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #1925
GuiltyParty
drifter

The last two 'stalls' have been within 200miles of the stepper motor being serviced, plus it's starting and idling completely fine when cold so I've ruled that out.

Last service it didn't have any error codes, but next time it happens I'll get the laptop out and see if it recognises anything. It's bit of a doozy.

On the uphill starts I would be riding the clutch that little bit more than if it was on flat ground
Old 06-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #1926
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, but then clutch got no sensors except one under clutch lever, so I wonder how that would cut off motor...
And relation to temperature are really puzzling.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #1927
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
I wonder if the ECU is getting confused by having the clutch in and out so often. I don't know if you've noticed but the RPMs go up slightly when you let the clutch out in gear on a closed throttle. To test what I'm talking about, put the bike on the centre stand and start the engine. Check that it's revving correctly at tickover. Pull in the clutch and engage first. It should still be a normal tickover with the clutch pulled in. Now watch the revs as you let out the clutch. On mine the revs increase by a couple of hundred. I think it was their first attempt to cure the stalling issue a couple of years ago. Your problem may be a by-product of that software.
Pure conjecture of course. So long as it starts again after a couple of minutes you should be OK.
Have you tried turning the ignition off and on a couple of times as if you're resetting the tilt switch? Might be worth a try next time.

Apart from that, is the bike OK? Anything broken or fallen off?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #1928
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
The last two 'stalls' have been within 200miles of the stepper motor being serviced, plus it's starting and idling completely fine when cold so I've ruled that out.

Last service it didn't have any error codes, but next time it happens I'll get the laptop out and see if it recognises anything. It's bit of a doozy.

On the uphill starts I would be riding the clutch that little bit more than if it was on flat ground
When it does not want to start, does it help to give it some throttle? My stepper motor was replaced under warranty. It was very intermittent & I'd have to give it some throttle to start it whenever it messed up.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #1929
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post

What about a faulty kickstand switch? Getting wet and mudded up will let the system think it's down and kill the motor. Slowly releases abd trouble cleras. Had this before and took some time to identify.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #1930
GuiltyParty
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I wonder if the ECU is getting confused by having the clutch in and out so often. I don't know if you've noticed but the RPMs go up slightly when you let the clutch out in gear on a closed throttle. To test what I'm talking about, put the bike on the centre stand and start the engine. Check that it's revving correctly at tickover. Pull in the clutch and engage first. It should still be a normal tickover with the clutch pulled in. Now watch the revs as you let out the clutch. On mine the revs increase by a couple of hundred. I think it was their first attempt to cure the stalling issue a couple of years ago. Your problem may be a by-product of that software.
Pure conjecture of course. So long as it starts again after a couple of minutes you should be OK.
Have you tried turning the ignition off and on a couple of times as if you're resetting the tilt switch? Might be worth a try next time.

Apart from that, is the bike OK? Anything broken or fallen off?
I haven't noticed, but then I can't remember a time I would have tried taking off without any throttle either. When it happens I just have to let it sit and not keep trying to start it otherwise it will kill the battery.

Apart from this thing everything else is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
When it does not want to start, does it help to give it some throttle? My stepper motor was replaced under warranty. It was very intermittent & I'd have to give it some throttle to start it whenever it messed up.
It won't start at all and needs to cool down a bit. Its the stalling beforehand that is troubling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
What about a faulty kickstand switch? Getting wet and mudded up will let the system think it's down and kill the motor. Slowly releases abd trouble cleras. Had this before and took some time to identify.
Good idea, I'll take it apart and see if it's all gunked up and report back
Old 06-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #1931
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I took my new 800XC for it's first off road ride today. I have to admit that I do not have all that much experience on 2 wheels off road and I must say that my little ride has left me a bit sad. Firstly, my first impression of the Tiger (when I picked it up from the dealership) is that first gear is WAYY too fast. This was immediately confirmed. I have this really nice sand pit right behind my house and I decided to take the tiger there for a spin. This is very coarse lose sand. The kind of stuff that you sink in about 3 inches while walking. You could not ride a mountain bike in this stuff nor could you drive a non 4x4 SUV.

I knew that driving a heavy 2 wheeled adventure bike in this lose sand would be difficult but OMG....

On hard packed sand or even loose gravel the bike was fine. I did not take it out of first gear but it gave me the impression of confidence. In the sand tough things were different. I would get into a wobble constantly and I would have to throw my leg down to catch the bike.

So,,, I was wondering, I know sand is difficult to ride in. BUT is the lack of control due to the stock rubber. Would I expect to have more control if I was to have a proper set of tires?

Oh. and NO,, I did not actually drop the bike. I am glad that I am strong enough to have caught it if not, I would have dropped it at least 10 times.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #1932
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
I took my new 800XC for it's first off road ride today. I have to admit that I do not have all that much experience on 2 wheels off road and I must say that my little ride has left me a bit sad. Firstly, my first impression of the Tiger (when I picked it up from the dealership) is that first gear is WAYY too fast. This was immediately confirmed. I have this really nice sand pit right behind my house and I decided to take the tiger there for a spin. This is very coarse lose sand. The kind of stuff that you sink in about 3 inches while walking. You could not ride a mountain bike in this stuff nor could you drive a non 4x4 SUV.

I knew that driving a heavy 2 wheeled adventure bike in this lose sand would be difficult but OMG....

On hard packed sand or even loose gravel the bike was fine. I did not take it out of first gear but it gave me the impression of confidence. In the sand tough things were different. I would get into a wobble constantly and I would have to throw my leg down to catch the bike.

So,,, I was wondering, I know sand is difficult to ride in. BUT is the lack of control due to the stock rubber. Would I expect to have more control if I was to have a proper set of tires?

Oh. and NO,, I did not actually drop the bike. I am glad that I am strong enough to have caught it if not, I would have dropped it at least 10 times.
Deep sand is a PIA on a small dirt bike let alone something like the Tigger. I think you are expecting too much of the bike.

Sand like that takes a particular technique that basically consists of getting weight off the front wheel to stop it digging in - you do this by sitting back on the seat and giving it some gas. Seems counter-intuitive but that's what you have to do and to be honest, the Tigger is never going to be that good in deep sand - YMMV of course.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #1933
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Deep sand is a PIA on a small dirt bike let alone something like the Tigger. I think you are expecting too much of the bike.

Sand like that takes a particular technique that basically consists of getting weight off the front wheel to stop it digging in - you do this by sitting back on the seat and giving it some gas. Seems counter-intuitive but that's what you have to do and to be honest, the Tigger is never going to be that good in deep sand - YMMV of course.

This was with TKCs mounted as well. Doesn't really speak to the Tigers ability in sand and more my lack of ability but its still a 500lb bike which is never gonna be fun in sand unless you're a former enduro or Dakar winner. Tires do make a huge difference so if your going to ride off road, get some better off road rubber first.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #1934
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post

You're expecting WAYYY too much from the Tiger. It's an adventure bike capable of doing some dirty stuff rather than a dirt bike. IMO it does the dirty stuff very well for a bike of its size and IMO some of your difficulties are down to your lack of experience. Although having said that, sand is not a good place to be with a heavy bike.
So, get the bike out of the sand and onto the hard packed track where, as you said, the bike is fine.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #1935
GuiltyParty
drifter

You're right the first gear is too high for any sort of sand activity and the same goes for mud, but that should only be a problem if you're taking off or doing hill climbs in the stuff. Drop the front sprocket to 15 tooth (standard is 16) and you'll notice an immediate difference. The stock tyres aren't good enough either, you need a minimum of TKC's or K60's to get anywhere in the sand/mud. As Blacktiger says it's just too big a bike to be doing any serious sort of sand, but it goes very, very very well for it's size. Not sand dune type stuff where the weight becomes a disadvantage but flat sand where you can keep a constant throttle in a higher gear like 2nd or 3rd and use the momentum and weight of the bike it will surprise you. Best thing about sand is it doesn't hurt if you fall off - unless of course you're riding like a Dakar rider

I was able to do some testing of it in Morocco in fesh fesh, which is really fine soft sand bloody horrible shit to ride in and the tiger went fine. Stepper motor didn't like it though...but that's another story.