Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #2056
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Photos of HID installation

IMG_0457

These are 6000K bulbs so it is about the color temperature of daylight.

IMG_0458

It is important that where ever you mount the ballast that they clear the forks when you turn. For this mounting location any ballast that is larger would not work.

— Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #2057
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBXC View Post

These are 6000K bulbs so it is about the color temperature of daylight.

It is important that where ever you mount the ballast that they clear the forks when you turn. For this mounting location any ballast that is larger would not work.
Interesting.

I would be doing this if the Tiger had the interior bulb shield and a fairing to hide the electronics. With these reflective housings you're going to blind people with tons of light scatter

I wouldnt mind (When I have nothing better to do) to implement a Projector setup in the stock housing.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #2058
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Interesting.

I would be doing this if the Tiger had the interior bulb shield and a fairing to hide the electronics. With these reflective housings you're going to blind people with tons of light scatter

I wouldnt mind (When I have nothing better to do) to implement a Projector setup in the stock housing.
Actually, that isn't the case. According to the inspection station where I had my lights checked (they didn't need adjusting) they passed just fine.

— Hunter S. Thompson
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #2059
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,212
I've never had trouble with my stock lights (+the OEM foglights). My friends usually ask me to ride in front at night cause I have some of the best lights in our group... That or they want me to take the deer out first!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #2060
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Are these good for the Uni Filter - I assume yes but, well, you know how that goes...
Yes. The NoToil products will work in any foam filter application.

It is so nice being able to avoid petroleum products in the realm of filter maintenance.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #2061
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Are these good for the Uni Filter - I assume yes but, well, you know how that goes...
Yes. Any foam filter, per the rep.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #2062
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Actually, that isn't the case. According to the inspection station where I had my lights checked (they didn't need adjusting) they passed just fine.

You might want to check out the whole issue of HID's in "Reflective housings" which creates significant light scatter. Unfortunately the inspection station isnt going to check for that as its not a position/height issue. Drivers coming the opposite way definitely notice. HID's should be used in projector housings safely directing the light output.

Here's what others see, it's even illegal in some countries. Just a heads up

Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #2063
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I've never had trouble with my stock lights (+the OEM foglights). My friends usually ask me to ride in front at night cause I have some of the best lights in our group... That or they want me to take the deer out first!

I've been thinking of getting some fog lights but have been impressed with the stock setup myself.

Got a pic of your setup?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #2064
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

You might want to check out the whole issue of HID's in "Reflective housings" which creates significant light scatter. Unfortunately the inspection station isnt going to check for that as its not a position/height issue. Drivers coming the opposite way definitely notice. HID's should be used in projector housings safely directing the light output.

Here's what others see, it's even illegal in some countries. Just a heads up

I had the same concerns you did about HID's. That is why I had my bike lights inspected and tested them extensively. I certainly would not want to blind someone into a head on collision with me.

The inspection station tests for the both the intensity and direction the light is projected on a receptor panel on both low beam and high beam. Should it be out of spec it has to be adjusted before passing inspection. I can't speak for anyone else but on my Tiger it was well within spec and passed normally. As I said before I have yet to have an oncoming car flash their lights at me to indicate that my lights, on low beam, were "dazzling'' them. Perhaps on different housings you get different effects or maybe the car in the video had it's lights on high beam.

I spent last night traveling on some gravel and dirt logging roads in the hills of north Mississippi. It was heavily wooded and deer and roosting turkeys and buzzards are abundant and frequently cross my path. The additional light was a blessing. The halogens would reflect in the eyes of animals, but with HID's you can actually see what the animal is.

— Hunter S. Thompson
Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #2065
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Yes. The NoToil products will work in any foam filter application.

It is so nice being able to avoid petroleum products in the realm of filter maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yes. Any foam filter, per the rep.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #2066
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
I had the same concerns you did about HID's. That is why I had my bike lights inspected and tested them extensively. I certainly would not want to blind someone into a head on collision with me.

The inspection station tests for the both the intensity and direction the light is projected on a receptor panel on both low beam and high beam. Should it be out of spec it has to be adjusted before passing inspection. I can't speak for anyone else but on my Tiger it was well within spec and passed normally. As I said before I have yet to have an oncoming car flash their lights at me to indicate that my lights, on low beam, were "dazzling'' them. Perhaps on different housings you get different effects or maybe the car in the video had it's lights on high beam.
THANK YOU for going to this effort. I have seen HID "conversions" done on other bikes, and the results have uniformly been a scattering of light that blinds oncoming drivers.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #2067
sinuhexavier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
When removing the charcoal canister how do you tell which tube to plug?

Twitter: sinuhexavier Instagram: sinuhe xavier

2010 Triumph Scrambler - 2012 Triumph 800xc
sinuhexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #2068
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Interesting.

+1 on blinding people.

If you we're going to do HIDs, adding projectors would be the proper way to go. Putting HIDs in a reflector just throws too much light.

I have retrofitted a couple of autos in the past, so I do have some experience. My next project is to add some projectors to the Tiger. Stay tuned...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #2069
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuhexavier View Post
When removing the charcoal canister how do you tell which tube to plug?
You don't have to plug anything.

Just remove.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #2070
sinuhexavier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
You don't have to plug anything.

Just remove.