Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #2071
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I've been thinking of getting some fog lights but have been impressed with the stock setup myself.

Got a pic of your setup?

Don't have a nighttime pic, but this is the OEM foglights, if that is what you meant...

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #2072
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,391
I am sure it has been discussed before, but has anyone changed their rear wheel to an 18inch? I think this would open up Tiger owners to many more offroad tire options.

Hypothetically, what other mods would need to be done to accomodate this change? I have read that the change in height to the rear would be about a 1/2 an inch, so geometry would not be affected too much.

At 6'4" and with a 36" inseam, I can easilly handle a taller bike. If I were going to do this mod, I would like to add more travel to the forks. Has anyone done this?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #2073
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,312
The guy that has a build thread for a 2014 Tiger is doing it but I have not heard of anyone actually having done it.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2074
live2ridetahoe
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The guy that has a build thread for a 2014 Tiger is doing it but I have not heard of anyone actually having done it.
Link?

JG

Edit: Found it.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2075
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Here's an option for those looking for fog lights:

I just emailed Acerbis, and they are new for 2014 and due in the USA in November. Hopefully they can handle my abuse... and the occasional faceplant.

EDIT: Here's their response to use for Dual Sport use:

"Yes maybe a little dirt. I mean if you tip over in the dirt I think the metal bark buster will hold up but the LED will get damaged. It’s made of nylon type plastic which is flexible but it’s the firmer type of nylon plastic. It may crack rather than bend like most of our handguards shields. It’s the same material as our Dual Road handguard if you have seen that."

btao screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 09:31 AM
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #2076
live2ridetahoe
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I am sure it has been discussed before, but has anyone changed their rear wheel to an 18inch? I think this would open up Tiger owners to many more offroad tire options.

Hypothetically, what other mods would need to be done to accomodate this change? I have read that the change in height to the rear would be about a 1/2 an inch, so geometry would not be affected too much.

At 6'4" and with a 36" inseam, I can easilly handle a taller bike. If I were going to do this mod, I would like to add more travel to the forks. Has anyone done this?

JG
I just got back a quote from Woody's Wheelworks. About $600 shipped for a 18 inch rear, super laced with stainless spokes and nipples and a black 18x3.5 Excel rim…

Hmmm…

Does one have to lengthen the chain or jack up the rear to accommodate a larger rear wheel/tire combo?

If you raise the rear, should you add some travel to the front to accommodate? Anyone have a source for this?

JG
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #2077
btao
Pwned

Quote:
I just got back a quote from Woody's Wheelworks. About $600 shipped for a 18 inch rear, super laced with stainless spokes and nipples and a black 18x3.5 Excel rim…

Hmmm…

Does one have to lengthen the chain or jack up the rear to accommodate a larger rear wheel/tire combo?

If you raise the rear, should you add some travel to the front to accommodate? Anyone have a source for this?

JG
Logically, the only thing that would change is a loss of travel in the rear (but increased ground clearance and stand-over height), increased rake that could be fixed if you could extend the fork, but most often it's set up at the top of the tubes, so you'll have to check on that. If there's a mud guard on the rear that's close, you'll have to change that out or remove it to fit knobbies and not bind the rear in the mud. The length to the axle is the same, but the drive ratio changes when you increase the tire size, so you may want to change the sprocket if you want the same ratio. Not sure if you can easily extend the rear travel, so you may sacrifice that 1/2" in the quest for perfection.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #2078
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Actually it will decrease rake, but, yeah.

If you go with a bigger sprocket in the back to fix the drive ratio, you'll need a longer chain anyway. At that point you can get a chain long enough to let you move the wheel back ensuring that clearances aren't an issue. And if you're going for a primarily dirt oriented setup, I would overcorrect on the rear sprocket size to make 1st gear usable off-road. The silly narrow ratio gearbox is my only real complaint on the bike. Fix first for the dirt with a sprocket change and hose 6th for the highway.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #2079
live2ridetahoe
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Actually it will decrease rake, but, yeah.

If you go with a bigger sprocket in the back to fix the drive ratio, you'll need a longer chain anyway. At that point you can get a chain long enough to let you move the wheel back ensuring that clearances aren't an issue. And if you're going for a primarily dirt oriented setup, I would overcorrect on the rear sprocket size to make 1st gear usable off-road. The silly narrow ratio gearbox is my only real complaint on the bike. Fix first for the dirt with a sprocket change and hose 6th for the highway.
I already sized down one in the front. Made 1st much more useful offroad and on.

JG
Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #2080
btao
Pwned

Quote:

JG
If you did want to, they make adjustable links with nice spherical bearings that are a more versatile option. I like adjustable stuff...

It's basically, two threaded rod ends with a barrel adjuster in the middle. Mine can raise and lower a few inches. I got mine to lower it slightly so I can get my feet flat on the ground. Still haven't hit the skid plate yet, even jumping trees.

I suppose, you could actually lower it 1/2" to get the geometry right and not have to mess with the fork. Not sure if it translates to 1" of suspension loss or not, but I would assume so.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #2081
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:

JG
What tire exactly would you want to run then?

The 950-990's have an 18, the 950 is skinny, the 990 is wide. They have the same issue with tires as anyone else. Do you really think there's an 18 that would make it worth it?

I dunno, I'm just sayin.

And yeah, first is kinda high. But then the bike isn't a very good plonker anyway. Hmmm yeah, a 475lb trials bike. Fueling is good though, eh?

I imagine there's good dirt routes near Tahoe. Did you see the 950-990's that just did the Rubicon?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #2082
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
I have to agree that it does not seem worth the effort. Check out the pic thread. Guys are going over mountain passes in SW Colorado with stock tires. I'm running knobbies with stock gearing because I ride sand.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #2083
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 441
This is my next mod.

BryanCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #2084
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
15th front is better everywhere except the interstate. If I had a wish, then it'd be for a granny 1st with a true over drive 6th. I use stock gearing & I can go 35mph in 6th gear. That's just ridiculous.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #2085
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 367
Thumb Gearing

I am leaving VA Friday to ride the northern section of the CDR from the Canadian border south to Rawlins. I just installed a 15t front sprocket and expect it to be better for this ride.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote