Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #2161
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
There was an issue with mounting the left side. The holes were just too far off on the bottom and were too close to the radiator guard. Jason at ADVMotorrad is on it, I'll report back. The right side bolted right up perfect. I think the top mounting tab is off, but is hard to tell.
Not sure if it applies to your issue, but I had to keep everything plenty loose on both sides before it would all mount up properly. IIRC, I had one side mounted up, slightly more than hand tight, before I started on the other side, but it just wasn't going to work that way. Once I backed out the bolts so that there was plenty of free play, I was able to get both sides on and joined together, then tightened everything down.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #2162
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Not sure if it applies to your issue, but I had to keep everything plenty loose on both sides before it would all mount up properly. IIRC, I had one side mounted up, slightly more than hand tight, before I started on the other side, but it just wasn't going to work that way. Once I backed out the bolts so that there was plenty of free play, I was able to get both sides on and joined together, then tightened everything down.
That should be SOP when mounting any brackets.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #2163
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 836
Quote:

Correct, mine was the same. Put both sides on as loose as possible, and you may still have to pull on it while you line up the bolts.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #2164
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,766
Stepper motor maintenance

Found this area pretty dusty, not much elsewhere. Cleaned then dry lubed. May pay to move the rubber boot to clean where the action is...

Cleaned, closer look
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #2165
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 442
Hand guards

Thoughts on hand guards? Specifically plastic vs. plastic/metal.

I've been running the stock units and they have hit the ground a few times. Just incurring some scratches. No damage to the levers or anything else.

I run the plastic/metal units on my dirt bikes When the bike is dropped, there is a lot less weight hitting the guards but they can still be a pain as they can bend and move around.

I'm looking for function first but I don't care for the look of most of the plastic/metal set ups.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #2166
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Thoughts on hand guards? Specifically plastic vs. plastic/metal.

I've been running the stock units and they have hit the ground a few times. Just incurring some scratches. No damage to the levers or anything else.

I run the plastic/metal units on my dirt bikes When the bike is dropped, there is a lot less weight hitting the guards but they can still be a pain as they can bend and move around.

I'm looking for function first but I don't care for the look of most of the plastic/metal set ups.

I've been impressed with the stock plastics. I found the wind protection was better than my Barkbusters
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #2167
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Yea, I certainly did, I had everything as loose as it would get, followed the sequence of instructions, and still nothing. Had to beat the tab on the bottom down because the top was too strong.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #2168
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I've been impressed with the stock plastics. I found the wind protection was better than my Barkbusters
I found that once I rotated the bars down for good alignment when standing, the stock ones were useless for wind. They are pointy and the levers fit right up in there. The levers were at risk during a crash as those plastic ones are flimsy and bend and spin if it's not taking the hit right from the front. No adjustability as they mount to the lever assby.

After throwing the Barkbuster Storm guards on there, the Aluminum bar is in the right crash position and the deflector comes up into the right wind protection position. Looks like they are ideal versus stock.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #2169
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
I found that once I rotated the bars down for good alignment when standing, the stock ones were useless for wind. They are pointy and the levers fit right up in there. The levers were at risk during a crash as those plastic ones are flimsy and bend and spin if it's not taking the hit right from the front. No adjustability as they mount to the lever assby.

After throwing the Barkbuster Storm guards on there, the Aluminum bar is in the right crash position and the deflector comes up into the right wind protection position. Looks like they are ideal versus stock.
Doesn't take much to shatter the stock ones either. The Barkbusters leave the chance that they could rotate if they take a hit. They're better than stock but still not the best option.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #2170
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I've been impressed with the stock plastics.
You're very easily impressed. Those standard guards are the worst I've ever come across.
They move too easily and leave the levers exposed ready to snap off. And yes, I've seen it happen on someone elses bike. I changed mine almost as soon as I got the bike home after buying it.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #2171
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
My friend has a 800xc its convinced me to never buy one.

Constant recalls for ecu updates, stepper motor fuel pump oil lines etc.

We did a fair bit of gravel roads in last days and it died....again. died last time we went for a trip also.

All the engine mounting bolts came loose, 1 was hanging in by a few threads, as the engine was moving the rad cracked as there is a solid link between the rad and engine so the weld cracked. :what::what:

Check your bolts and look to remove or replace the link with a rubber based unit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #2172
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Anyone can ride a light dirt bike in the dirt.

I don't see using the Tiger XC off-road as "thrashing", it's ostensibly designed for that purpose.

I'd be more apt to criticize someone for buying an 800XC and riding it exclusively on the street.

Thanks
CA Stu
As an Adventure bike owner I feel Adventure bikes in general are bikes designed mainly for the pavement that can handle mild off road use like dirt or gravel roads. Driving down a deeply rutted path would seem to be stretching their off road capability and bumping against their design limitations like higher weight, agility (compared to a dirt bike) and high power band. Not saying you can't do it as the poster obviously can but it seems like a bit of a stretch to their suitability. To me it seems a bit like using a new BMW or Porsche SUV for the mud bogs.

outsidein screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 02:40 AM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #2173
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
My friend has a 800xc its convinced me to never buy one.
This forum has convinced me to never buy anything with a roundel on it.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #2174
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

^^ This.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #2175
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yeah. Constant recalls for software updates and final drive bearings and telelever ball joints, canbus problems etc etc.