Laugh I am in as well

Keep up the good work.
mtndog46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #18
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Excellent stuff!

Now that I've finished wearing out the Battlewings my XC came with, I'm about to put more aggressive tires on, and also need to add the skid plate and crash bars.

I too rotated the handlebar forward in the clamps, which helped immensely, and recently added a set of the SW Motech 20mm risers. Handlebar position is now quite comfortable, and I don't have to hunch over too far when standing.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #19
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
Ergonomics

As delivered, the bars area really low and this made standing on the pegs fairly awkward. The solution seemed to be rolling them forward (and up) in the clamps which improves things immensly. I am now beginning to think a different bend of bar is called for though as they feel a little too far away when sitting. I have a set of Henry/Reed Pro Tapers left over in the shed so I will try those (they seem to have a bit more sweep) and see how they go. One thing that needs doing when moving the bars up (or switching them) is grinding off the little locating tabs in the switch blocks. Two minutes with a Dremel and the job is done.
Great write up! I thought the same thing then I installed some Rox Risers. They fix the problem 100%
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,936
Just got an email from my dealer....my new Tigger is in

Got to figure out the insurance and stuff but looks like I'll be picking it up Saturday.

I can hardly wait
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,156
Hows the Tiger's suspension in the rough stuff?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #22
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
I'm surprised you did not install a 15th front sprocket. It makes a big difference at slow speed, & I only lost 4mph on the interstate. I love your pics, especially the one in the muddy rut.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
Question

Great thread!

Danny, since you've obviously been beating on your XC a fair amount already, would be interested in your take on any clunking/clacking your XC makes in the rough stuff. I've been chasing what sounds like a sharp metal-on-metal clack on mine when hammering holes, whoops, and rocks. I thought it was the centerstand, but after some testing last night, I'm thinking it's good old chain slap now. The slider on the XC is a fairly complex piece compared to standard dirt bike stuff. Seems like they've went overboard to potentially quiet chain noise only to not accomplish it.

Just did about a 1000 miles of gravel, sand, and dirt and your observations are spot on with what I've been seeing. The fork is a really nice set up. The shock isn't bad, but with panniers, I'm wishing I could dial in more compression.

Was washing the bike last night and was scratching my head trying to figure out how all that mud got on the bottom of the triple... I think I'll go the extension route and try that.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Every man can do as he wants with his own toys; so I'm not criticizing....but, I'm trying to figure out why someone would want to spend 12 or 13 grand on a brand new high performance riding machine and then take it out to thrash it?

I mean, for 2500 bucks you could get something like this that's actually better for that job, and then you (or at least I wouldn't) mind if it got stuck, dropped, scratched, thrashed, or broken.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Every man can do as he wants with his own toys; so I'm not criticizing....but, I'm trying to figure out why someone would want to spend 12 or 13 grand on a brand new high performance riding machine and then take it out to thrash it?
Anyone can ride a light dirt bike in the dirt.

I don't see using the Tiger XC off-road as "thrashing", it's ostensibly designed for that purpose.

I'd be more apt to criticize someone for buying an 800XC and riding it exclusively on the street.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #26
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

I said I wasn't criticizing.. Read above? I said I was trying to understand why? Your saying it's because it's more challenging riding a heavy bike in the dirt?

OK.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #27
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:

I mean, for 2500 bucks you could get something like this that's actually better for that job, and then you (or at least I wouldn't) mind if it got stuck, dropped, scratched, thrashed, or broken.

Because as a human you can make your own decisions. Riding is riding. Have you ever ridden a big ADV Bike? and like you said, not arguing...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,765
Quote:
I said I wasn't criticizing.. Read above? I said I was trying to understand why? Your saying it's because it's more challenging riding a heavy bike in the dirt?

OK.

No, I'm saying it's because that is the intended purpose of the 800 XC.

I'm still on the fence about buying one, myself.
My 1050 Tiger absolutely rules on the street, my KLR is a good compromise for the street and trail, and my TE 610 is an awesome trail bike.

It would be nice to have a bike that can handle moderate trails and still be comfortable at 80mph on the journey home, I guess. It's a long, slow ride home from Moab / Colorado / Baja on a KLR.

And it does take more technical ability to ride a big, heavy, powerful machine on challenging terrain.
I couldn't ride it on a 950 Adv., so I sold it.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Because as a human you can make your own decisions. Riding is riding. Have you ever ridden a big ADV Bike? and like you said, not arguing...
I've ridden an 04 1150 GSA, a KTM 5??exc, an XR650L, XR600R, 1200GS, and of course a DL650, which some would not necessarily consider a big adventure bike.

Compared to my 07 YZ450f, that 02 426 I put in the picture is a big heavy bike. That's not my point. My point is that personally, if I just dropped over 12 thousand dollars on a T800; I wouldn't ride it like my 426. Sure, I'd take it off road; but if I dropped it or scratched it, or in some other way screwed it up....I'd be bummed out. So if I had a Tiger 800; which I'm seriously thinking about....I would be careful with it off-road. Maybe that's just me.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #30
tedesco886
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:

OK.
I agree that a lighter skinnier single is MUCH better suited for off-road duty at a MUCH lower cost. For a better answer to your question Guyver , (rather than a "have you blah blah" answer.) This is a bike that can be ridden hundreds of miles a day very comfortably on the road, and then is also capable off-road when it appeals to the rider. This part of the thread is particulary focused on making that off-road experience with the tiger more capable and more fun.
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote