Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #451
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Thanks for that, excellent info. I have always wondered how much I would get out of the Co2 cartridges, looks like I will be getting some more and stealing the pump from my push bike!

Cheers
I have a pump that does both (CO2 and hand-pump) for the best of both worlds.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #452
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireitup View Post
Prototype 1 Tool Tube I just built and thought Id share...
Nice job on the tool tube, looks very trick in it's Carbon Fibre livery
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #453
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
There is some great info in this thread, which pleases me that I have made the right choice in the Tiger 800 xc.
I am picking up my new tiger next week. Can't wait!
The Tiger would be awfully hard to beat in Tassie conditions I reckon. It loves winding bitumen and contiunes to shine on the dirt so hopefully you will have a ball on it.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #454
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Hey Danny
put this mod on mine last week 15mm is all I had in the shed -thanks mate good work
G'Day Barry,

Funnily enough I think 15mm might be the go after all. I made mine 20mm and after a few crude measurements I deducted that the guard could come in contact with the lower triple clamp at that height, so I rolled it forward a touch to create some clearance. Unfortunately though, it still collected the Allen bolts in the bottom clamp (after bottoming the forks on a rocky trail) and busted the the front guard. The result, half an hour of stuffing around in the bush to clamp it back together and a $359 replacement part on my return.

As an extra precaution, I am going to add some more oil to the forks to restrict the bottoming action a little. The standard air gap is 120mm from what I can gather so I might try 110mm and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #455
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for that, excellent info. I have always wondered how much I would get out of the Co2 cartridges, looks like I will be getting some more and stealing the pump from my push bike!

Cheers
If you are not in a hurry, a trick is to pump the tyre up with a hand pump first and then use a cartridge or two at the end to help pop the bead out. Seems to work Ok.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #456
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Progress update - 10,000km

After racking up a few kilometres (mostly on dirt), I thought it would be good to update some of the things I have learnt while living with the Tiger.

Suspension - The standard suspension is really good in my opinion but as my confidence grew in the bike and I started hitting things harder it needed stiffening. It is worth noting that I am not a light weight and carrying camping gear certainly excerbates the problem. In the end, I looked at the options and installed a Wilbers Shock and stiffer fork springs.

I was hesitant to replace the shock at first, figuring a stiffer spring and maybe a revalve with good quality oil is all that would be required. The local Wilbers distributor had a special on at the time though and the price difference wasn't as big as I first thought so I replaced the entire unit. The new shock come custom made from Germany within 4 weeks and features High and Low Speed compression and rebound adjustment. To be honest though, I have only slowed the rebound 2 clicks and haven't felt the need to change anything else as it works so well. The big benefit of the Wilbers is when things get really rough, it tracks well through rocks and even moderate sized whoops, resists bottoming even with camping gear on board and doesn't seem to fade when pushed. My thinking is that this is a result of the stiffer spring, better quality internals and the relocation of the resevoir to the rear of the frame so it can cool quicker than in standard position that sits near the warm confines of the engine? Whatever the reasoning it works really well.

The forks are still a work in progress though.

I fitted stiffer Wilbers springs and they maintained the nice action of the standard springs but the stoppers are still coming in to play too often and I think I need to go stiffer again, or maybe just increase the oil height which is what I plan to do next. The issue I have with going stiffer is that a really stiff spring such as a .62 that some run here in Oz overwhelms the top out spring and therefore the forks tend to clunk when unweighted (such as over a jump).

Wheels - so far these have been seriously good quality units. Despite some really rocky riding, they still run straight and fingers crossed they continue to do so.

SW Motech Bashplate and Engine Guards - These continue to impress. While I haven't tested the crash bars, I have ridden with people who have and the outcome has been positive with minimal damage to the bike. The skid plate has offered solid protection so far and I am confident that it is a more robust solution than the Triumph plate.

This was the result of a freak rock that dislodged from the ground and jammed up under Phil's bike before being flung out under the back wheel. To be honest it probably would have put a dint in most things it came in contact with but it did highlight the limited thickness of the Triumph plate. I managed to straighten part of it with my boot before a Coxy took over and made a few final adjustments

Quick Steel, is wonderful stuff. The good news is that the repair held for the rest of the trip without a drama and it looks as though the damaged part can be replaced and is not an integral part of the cases.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #457
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Wolfman Expedition panniers and Racks - These have been really impressive. The bags seal up tight with no dust or water getting in and the racks are nice and solid. Positioning on the bike seems good too as handling doesn't deteriorate too much with a load on board.

Lighting - The tiger has brilliant ligthing and with the optional fog lights it gets even better. It's only a small thing but I tend to get sidetracked a bit and end up riding after dark so a good set of lights is real benefit.

Burren Rider screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 06:15 PM
Old 01-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #458
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
PS: How many have broken the bead on the rear tire out on the trail? What is used? How did it go?
I've only helped once: side stand of another bike worked well.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #459
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Stalling - The local dealer lubricated the stepper motor rod prior to this trip and the bike ran flawlessly. The two other Tigers on the ride had received the same treatment and did likewise. With a bit of luck it would appear as though they have resolved the issue that a number of Australian bikes were experiencing.

Off-Road ability - The bike continues to go everywhere I point it and watching the bike in the hands of some really good riders last week, the results speak for themselves. In saying that, we all agreed that deep sand (particularly the coastal variety) is not the Tigers strong suit but then I don't think many big bikes would shine in that environment.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #460
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Front Page

Those pics^^^ look like front page material.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #461
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Looking at that it makes me blush and want to close my laptop when the kids walk by
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #462
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,284
That's a heavy machine to be jockeying like that. I can barely get my 200 to do that stuff. Impressive!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #463
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Looking at that it makes me blush and want to close my laptop when the kids walk by
Me too

Long thought it's more the rider than the bike...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #464
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,256
Is anyone making a Steering Damper for the Tiger yet? This might assist in the sand.....

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #465
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireitup View Post
mounting to underside of rear subframe into existing factory threaded holes
Very nice - pratical and inexpensive. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Hey Danny
put this mod on mine last week 15mm is all I had in the shed -thanks mate good work
I like that and will copy it. Thanks.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote