Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #856
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I agree.
You should have spotted that the guard was a close fit and done something about it. I certainly did and bought the Touratrash raisers before doing any serious dirt/mud.
It's a tricky one though. Raise the guard and a big hit will damage it without a bit of modification. Leave the guard low and it catches rocks and fills up with mud.

There is only 8mm clearance with it in the standard position so even raising it 15mm could be flirting with danger? My experience has been to increase the oil height if you are going to hit things hard (like washed out gullies or jumps, not just fast stuff). If that isn't within the plans, I still recommend taking to the guard with a file or a dremel to give it a bit more clearance under the Triple Clamp bolts. Cheap insurance
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #857
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
I'm amazed you've gone for a steering damper really. I've just had my forks done too - more progressive, bit stiffer etc, but the last thing i would want now is a damper. I want the ability to have the front bob around, not reduce it.
The thing with a damper is that it dampens on a different plane to your forks (ie side to side, not up and down).

I am not looking to reduce weave on the highway or any of the things that are associated with poor suspension or geometry. For me, a stabiliser is about the unexpected hits that want to flick the bars sideways. Tree roots, rocks, sandy ruts etc. Each of them can flick you off and while a damper is not fool proof it does reduce the impact, which can save your butt on occasion. The other advantage of a damper on big bikes is that they tend to keep the rear end in tow a little bit under serious acceleration or rear braking. It is not pronounced but you can feel it keeping things tidy every now and then.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #858
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
k60

My experience with k60 has been great, but I will say it was ultra slick on the ice and snow.(ya I know most tires will be) It was almost impossible to get started after having to stop on a hill. i guess if you never have snow and ice that might not be a concern for you. There was also a guy at the bike dealership in Edmonton who was just down in the baja. Apparently one of his buds ate dirt when the rear time slid out on wet grass. I understand the solid center is going to make it last alot longer, but It does have a down side. I'm thinking of going down to the 140 for a litle more lug in the centre. Not sure how much less wear i'd get with one of those. I love the idea tkc in the front! great idea. I bet gives a hell of a lot more control offroad. Too bad, I'm just leaving the Baja in a couple days and won't be able to try that out here!

cheers,
Clay
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #859
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post

We were about half way through the 14 Crossings of the Condamine River when I found a deep hole and the Tiger took a little sip.

I reckon the dip is your new stepper motor washing technique.

Nice photo. I wouldn't be surprised if Triumph gets in touch to use that in publicity.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #860
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:
It's a tricky one though. Raise the guard and a big hit will damage it without a bit of modification. Leave the guard low and it catches rocks and fills up with mud.

There is only 8mm clearance with it in the standard position so even raising it 15mm could be flirting with danger? My experience has been to increase the oil height if you are going to hit things hard (like washed out gullies or jumps, not just fast stuff). If that isn't within the plans, I still recommend taking to the guard with a file or a dremel to give it a bit more clearance under the Triple Clamp bolts. Cheap insurance
If you push on the guard it does flex so I'm hoping it'll flex that 7mm. And, I/we generally don't ride at those speeds. Time will tell.
However, in the UK mud is the more serious threat so raising the guard is a no brainer.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #861
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Quote:

I have seen pictures of the Safari tank mould and it looks really good on the bike. Should be out in the next month or two with a bit of luck. Capacity is forescast to be 34 Litres.
Howdy Danny

That's good news, 34L sounds like a good number, I wonder if more could have worked. Where did you see the photo's.... Didn't see it on their site & canoeguy was only interested in his KLR tanks to take photo's of the XC...
choccoloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #862
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
A couple fo Video's. My mate Phil makes a series of Adventure Riding DVD's in Australia under the Motorbikin' banner. The plan this year is to do a multi-leg lap around Australia (on a pair of 800XC's) making a couple of DVD's along the way. He has put together a couple of You Tube clips from the last couple of legs and I thought I would attach them here if anyone is interested.

Great vids and thanks for sharing. Two questions. Are you running stock gearing on your tiger, and what tires have you had the best luck with?
internalcombust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #863
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
G'Day,

I have seen pictures of the Safari tank mould and it looks really good on the bike. Should be out in the next month or two with a bit of luck. Capacity is forescast to be 34 Litres.
I am really looking forward to the Safari tank. Any ideas on a price range?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #864
marlboroughlad
crash bang wallop

Oddometer: 1,160
Anyone using the gel seat? What do you think? Its AUD$369 down here in Aussie and I'm after some feedback on it before I shell out.

I've got an Airhawk cushion and a sheep skin already, but if this gel seat gets rave reviews, I might get it.

Thoughts?
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #865
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
I have a gel seat on order (Triumph, rider only). $128 (US). Will be here on Tuesday (I hope). I'll report what I think of it. I don't dislike the normal seat, but thought for this price I can try the gel.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #866
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I have the gel and love it. I commute 100 miles a day too. I've heard complaints form others. For me its the best OEM seat I've ever had. YMMV

Marsh Tiger screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 03:47 PM
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #867
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Bought the bike with the gel seat on it, so can't compare it to the stock seat, but I find it very comfortable even on all-day ventures.

The downside is that I had to shell out for the passenger gel seat -- the Mrs. wanted the same accommodations for her soft parts.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #868
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Gel seat is much more comfortable for the long haul (more than a few hours of seat time) Down side is: gel retains heat more than stock seat. Not a problem here - since it rarely gets over 75* until July. But parked in sun, in Warm climates, best to park in shade or toss a towel over seat to prevent rays from excess endothermic activity. It do get toasty!
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #869
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post
Anyone using the gel seat? What do you think? Its AUD$369 down here in Aussie and I'm after some feedback on it before I shell out.

I've got an Airhawk cushion and a sheep skin already, but if this gel seat gets rave reviews, I might get it.

Thoughts?
The guys at Ringwood PS let me put one on my XC and have a test ride. I spent only a short time on it, an hour or so, and could tell no difference. At that price I handed it back.

I clock huge hours in the saddle in smaller chunks, as I use my XC for every transportation need from commuting, to meetings across the CBD, to fun stuff and overnighters -- no ironbutt type stuff though. What I'm saying is my arse knows that seat better than anything else I put it on.

My opinion is you won't notice any difference in an hour or two... of course with an airhawk you won't even touch it. But over an all-day trip, I start to get that all day feeling in my back n bum -- perhaps then it would shine.

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #870
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Chris - Yep, shorter rides - not much advantage. It "shines" in longer rides. I do several 3-4 week trips each year (this year Inuvik & Baja - advantage of being retired) & the 'day after day' in the saddle is when it's a noticeable improvement.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote