Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #901
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You should be able to connect the two wires together. I did this on other bikes but not my tiger. I was told it would be okay to do the kickstand safety switch if you had to get out of the woods but do not do the clutch safety switch. The clutch safety switch controls all kind of ECU stuff.
I broke my sidestand switch on a ride a while ago and I removed it and (IIRC) connected the 2 wires together, taped it up and zip tied it out the way. Not had an issue with fault code etc. since.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #902
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
That's good to know, I'll get rid of mine soon as the warranty runs out.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #903
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccoloco View Post
Howdy Danny

That's good news, 34L sounds like a good number, I wonder if more could have worked. Where did you see the photo's.... Didn't see it on their site & canoeguy was only interested in his KLR tanks to take photo's of the XC...
Sorry, I have somehow missed some posts here.

I saw the photo's via Triumph Australia. I think they supplied the template bike and have been working with Safari Tanks to get a tank in the works. They were hoping it would be right to go by the end of the month but it looks like it might be a bit later?

34Ltrs sounds good to me and to be honest, Safari tends to underquote their sizes (my 17Ltr trail tank for the DRZ actually holds 21) so it could well hold 36 by the time it comes out. 32 - 34 would be plenty for me though.

Cheers,

Danny
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #904
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Great vids and thanks for sharing. Two questions. Are you running stock gearing on your tiger, and what tires have you had the best luck with?
I am running a 15T countershaft sprocket and I find it beneficial in the dirt. You definately use the clutch a lot less in the really tight stuff.

I have been running a Dunlop MX71 Front (90/100-21) and a Mitas E-09 Dakar rear (140/80-17) but I am looking to try a D606 front this week as the MX71's are just chewing out too fast. They work brilliantly on the dirt and are quite respectable on the road for a full knobby but I find the knobs are scalloping out really quickly. I figure the 606 is still fairly dirt orientated (I have run them on DR650's in the past) but with a bit of luck it will hold it's profile a bit better. Time will tell I guess?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #905
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
Photobucket
Nice photo, looks like you were getting along pretty well in the video too. Dunes look like they were perfect for roosting around on.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #906
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
FYI, check your spokes. I spooned on a new front & found some loose spokes again. The first time I checked was early on when I had some bounce around 35-40mph. I torqed all of my spokes & installed dyna beads. This time I just checked because I had the rim off. I'm always jumping curbs & hitting roots/rocks harder than I should.
G'Day Rob,

Mine tends to bounce a bit in the front and I had put it down to running a full knobby on the road (it gets worse as the side knobs wear unevenly). I hadn't heard of Dyna Beads so I looked them up, do they still work Ok in a tube type tyre (I assume your bike still runs tubes or have you converted them somehow)?

Cheers,

Danny
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #907
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Burren,

I have Safari tanks on two of my bikes, and love them. They offer great crash/drop protection too!! Plan to get one for my 800XC, when available.

My question is.....

Do you think (from your look at the pictures) the new Safari tank will interfere with the SWMototech crash bars??? My guess is, is that it will, and the tank will probably create radiator protection. Since I'm about to pull the trigger on crash bars, maybe I'll wait to see the Safari in the flesh (or just go with the Triumph crash bars for now).

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Looking at the mould pictures, I was fairly confident the Safari tank would be fine with the SW Motech engine bars. The Safari tank looks to use the space occupied by the top plastic shrouds (keeping the lower ones that run either side of the radiator) and as a result I don't think it will be significantly wider in that area than the standard profile. I guess it could change prior to production though?

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #908
Bert the tigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
Looking at the mould pictures, I was fairly confident the Safari tank would be fine with the SW Motech engine bars. The Safari tank looks to use the space occupied by the top plastic shrouds (keeping the lower ones that run either side of the radiator) and as a result I don't think it will be significantly wider in that area than the standard profile. I guess it could change prior to production though?

Hope this helps.

Pictures ?
Bert the tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #909
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Quote:
G'Day Rob,

Mine tends to bounce a bit in the front and I had put it down to running a full knobby on the road (it gets worse as the side knobs wear unevenly). I hadn't heard of Dyna Beads so I looked them up, do they still work Ok in a tube type tyre (I assume your bike still runs tubes or have you converted them somehow)?

Cheers,

Danny
Absolutely. I've been extremely happy with dyna beads in my tubes. I'm only using them in the front of the Tiger. Just make sure you remove any weights on the rim.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #910
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
I hadn't heard of Dyna Beads so I looked them up, do they still work Ok in a tube type tyre (I assume your bike still runs tubes or have you converted them somehow)?
I used them in my DR650 for about ten thousand miles. One day while airing down for the dirt, the rear valve stem stuck open and let out all of the air. I was able to borrow a sealed cap and finish out the ride. After getting home, I discovered upon closer inspection that one of the Dyna Beads got stuck in the valve stem, keeping it open. My advice is that for tubed tires that get aired up/down on a regular basis, be careful. Other than that they worked very well. Not running them in my XC due to this experience and the fact I air down on most rides. YMMV.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #911
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

All you need to do is make sure the valve is between 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock when you air up or down. I've never had an issue with dyna beads.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #912
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks Burren,

I've got an email into Safari as well. I'll post up a response upon receipt from Safari.

The Breeze
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #913
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
I am running a 15T countershaft sprocket and I find it beneficial in the dirt. You definately use the clutch a lot less in the really tight stuff.
Can the 15T be installed without removing a link from the stock chain?

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #914
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
Can the 15T be installed without removing a link from the stock chain?
To answer that take a look at how far back your chain adjusters are. Mine are quite a way back already so I'd probably have to remove a link. YMMV.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #915
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
To answer that take a look at how far back your chain adjusters are. Mine are quite a way back already so I'd probably have to remove a link. YMMV.
Mine is quite far back also. I have compared to other new bikes and this seems to be the norm.
I'd like to have the option to change back to 16T for long HWY runs.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote