Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1036
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
hi all
been looking at the xc for some time but in some threads this heat issue keeps coming up ie..from another inmate... the stepper motor is a huge problem triumph dont give a toss-bloody heat comes of the engine, ok when standing up but in summer at lights you fry.

is there a fix for this?
Rubbish, my xc is performing flawlessly. Some people have had issues. I love mine. Heat is no bother, it is being blown out of proportion by a few. IMHO.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #1037
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
hi all
been looking at the xc for some time but in some threads this heat issue keeps coming up ie..from another inmate... the stepper motor is a huge problem triumph dont give a toss-bloody heat comes of the engine, ok when standing up but in summer at lights you fry.

is there a fix for this?
Don't take to much notice of all that Rubbish. Have ever riden any other naked bike in the heat! It's all relative. I have had no problem with this. I love my Tiger and think that I will be keeping her for a very long time

I just come back from a 1300 Km ride on 80% Gravel and very slippery dirt tracks, this bike is more that up to the task, she took every thing I gave her. Can't wait for the net ride

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #1038
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
is there a fix for this?
Maybe wear better pants. I also don't have a big problem with heat from the bike.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #1039
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Rubbish, my xc is performing flawlessly. Some people have had issues. I love mine. Heat is no bother, it is being blown out of proportion by a few. IMHO.
+1

It's a bike....they get hot. As for the stepper motor, sure some have had issues but I would wager it's a tiny minority. If it weren't, Triumph would have fixed it by now - they are very good at doing so but if a tiny few report an issue, how can they determine what the issue is and how to fix it ?

Buy it, ride it, you'll love it....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #1040
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
hi all

is there a fix for this?
Heat - heat no issue here but how hot is too hot for you? Best to ride one for yourself and make your own decision. If you want to stay really cool in summer, best to drive your car with the a/c on.

Stepper a HUGE issue????? Have it gooped every now and then, like at a major service and there appears to be no issue. FFS, soon folk are going to be complaining the bike has a major issue because the engine cuts out if you don't fill the gas tank when it is empty or that it gets dirty when you ride them in the mud n dust

The high mileage 800s in our Tiger Squadron are approaching 20,000km with the only hick-up being the need to goop the stepper once in three of the bikes. I say for a brand new model in a new class for the brand top effort Triumph

Scaredofthedirt screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 06:01 AM
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #1041
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
FFS, soon folk are going to be complaining the bike has a major issue because the engine cuts out if you don't fill the gas tank when it is empty or that it gets dirty when you ride them in the mud n dust
I have that problem all the time, the Tiger just will not stay clean!! Good one

If you are like me and seems that you are, after a big ride the Tiger gets stripped down wheels out, tank off etc and cleaned and maintenanced and all that needs lubed get lubed. By doing this things will last longer and there will be no break downs. Just common sense really if we are doing this sort of riding isn't it!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #1042
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
He who shouts the loudest wins hey fellas
Maybe the brochure should of read "not to be riden in warm or dusty climates" -so this counts you guys out .
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #1043
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
FFS, soon folk are going to be complaining the bike has a major issue because the engine cuts out if you don't fill the gas tank when it is empty or that it gets dirty when you ride them in the mud n dust
Those "faults" are included in this very "tongue in cheek" thread. http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg36053
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #1044
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post

If you are like me and seems that you are, after a big ride the Tiger gets stripped down wheels out, tank off etc and cleaned and maintenanced and all that needs lubed get lubed. it!
What is this cleaning thing you talk about........
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #1045
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Quote:
What is this cleaning thing you talk about........
Just one of those bad habits I suppose! Enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them :)

Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #1046
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Those "faults" are included in this very "tongue in cheek" thread. http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg36053

That's some funny stuff.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #1047
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Hey Fellas
Haning trouble finding a smaller countershaft sprocket {think the original is 16 i want to gear it down so thinking a 15 } triumph say there isnt one made for that bike. Been looking on ebay there is ones overseas but no postage to here in Brisbane Australia, this cant be right I know some of you guys have this mod any help pls
Haven't finished reading the entire thread so my apologies if this has been covered.

The stock DL650 V-Strom CS sprocket is a direct fit on the T800 and it has the molded in rubber damper for reduced chain noise.

halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #1048
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
To where do you fill the tank? To the bars? Just covering the bars? Or right up to the near top?
G'Day,

I really couldn't tell you to be honest. I don't take a lot of notice but I always leave a bit of safety margin at the top? I'll take a look next time and let you know.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #1049
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
G/Day Burren Rider/ Danny

first of all thanks for starting this great thread, which has kept on track for 80% of the time
I currently got a F800GS which has 20K on it, from riding here ,Iran and central asia... Like this bike but when reaching 5000 rpm it turns to shit,,,vibrations through the bars and frame,,,spoken to other 800gs riders and they say the same.... but apart from that its fantastic and hasnt let me down EVER

THEN i saw the 800xc 5 days ago and fell in love with it,,now i want one

the only thing is this STEPPER MOTOR problem I read about here and in other forums
Has this problem been sorted out by triumph....????
With this problem i wouldnt be going up into remote places like iran,Turkmenistan Tajikistan etc etc
ALSO
The Aux tank that is being developed is so ugly and big,,,be better and cheaper to get 2 X 7 liter fuel bladders

ALSO
does the 800XC have a diagnostic tool for a laptop computer like the F800gs has which is called the GS 911 and is a fault finding tool

the thing that is also leaning me to the XC is that my wife can get a seat to fit her short legs 5' 4",,me 5'7" and that way we can have the same bikes therefore one set of spares

thanks in advanvce

Shane
G'Day Shane,

The stepper motor issue seems to be as simple as some preventative maintenance at major service intervals. Mine certainly hasn't played up since it was diagnosed (I have now done an additional 7,000km's of predominantly dirt).

The aesthetics of the Safari tank are a personal thing I guess. Coming from a dirt bike background, I like big plastic tanks. There is just something about them that feels reassuring as you wander off into the wilderness. Bladders do the same job to an extent but they aren't as convenient and to my mind, don't carry the fuel aswell from a handling perspective? Of course, here in Oz (and no doubt where you are) there is an argument for the big main tank and the bladders on certain trips.

I ordered the Dealer Tool for my Tiger and it seems to do everything you would want it to do. It can read fault codes, give you live data on the engine management software and even balance the throttle bodies. From memory it was around 70 pounds from the UK?

Cheers,

Danny

Burren Rider screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 08:47 PM
Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #1050
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen! View Post
G'Day,

Great photo's. I am hoping to get over there one day, it looks like an awesome place to explore?