ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #1321
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The warehouse is/was in Atlanta. It may have been moved to Louisville. Either way its been mentioned many times that the stock kept in the US is minimal and many semi-non-normal parts take forever to get. Triumph is selling more and more bikes here, it's time for them to step up on the parts supply front.
Totally agree. While I'm delighted that Triumph are selling more and more bikes and bringing out some kick-ass bikes, I do worry that they are over-extending themselves.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #1322
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i've been using that TR8 21" front on my DR and love that tire.
cheaper than TCK, does better in the dirt (more open space between blocks) and does just as well on the pavement. It's a sleeper tire that get's overlooked. Extremely well built in Japan.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

Agreed -- I was very happy with the TR8's performance. It handled great on the Trans-Lab, and worked extremely well on the pavement for the rest of the trip. I'm still amazed by how well it wore; it's still on the bike and has been dealing with commuter duty since I got back.

I'll definitely be buying this tire in the future instead of a TKC-80. Shame IRC doesn't make a matching rear in 150/70-17!

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #1323
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,469
Just got off the phone with Triumph NA. There is no distribution center in Canada, each dealer is responsible for their own inventory and choose what to stock.

There is a distribution center in Kentucky for US dealers but no comment on what's stocked there.

So in Canada you're pretty much guaranteed at least a 10 day wait for parts unless you're just getting your oil changed. I think you'd actually be looking at more like 2 weeks for parts because EVERY dealer I have bought bikes from only orders parts once a week. So if you show up the day after they placed their order you just wait till next week before the order even gets placed.

I completely understand why the dealers have to do this as they are trying to save shipping costs and can't be placing small orders every day.

Something needs to change and it isn't an easy problem to fix but Triumph need to try, maybe let Canadian dealers source parts from Kentucky.

My local dealer did their best and started the pre-order process so I can't fault them. We'll see how long it takes for my fan to show up.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #1324
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just got off the phone with Triumph NA. There is no distribution center in Canada, each dealer is responsible for their own inventory and choose what to stock.

There is a distribution center in Kentucky for US dealers but no comment on what's stocked there.

So in Canada you're pretty much guaranteed at least a 10 day wait for parts unless you're just getting your oil changed. I think you'd actually be looking at more like 2 weeks for parts because EVERY dealer I have bought bikes from only orders parts once a week. So if you show up the day after they placed their order you just wait till next week before the order even gets placed.

I completely understand why the dealers have to do this as they are trying to save shipping costs and can't be placing small orders every day.

Something needs to change and it isn't an easy problem to fix but Triumph need to try, maybe let Canadian dealers source parts from Kentucky.

My local dealer did their best and started the pre-order process so I can't fault them. We'll see how long it takes for my fan to show up.
Have you thought of ordering the parts yourself direct from the UK? I hear that Jack Lilley http://www.jacklilley.com/ & http://www.jacklilley.com/content/pa...ccessories.htm has a good reputation for shipping parts to stranded people around the world.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #1325
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Have you thought of ordering the parts yourself direct from the UK? I hear that Jack Lilley http://www.jacklilley.com/ & http://www.jacklilley.com/content/pa...ccessories.htm has a good reputation for shipping parts to stranded people around the world.
I may just do that. That's what I ended up doing for parts for my Honda CBF 1000. A stator was $550C from my local dealer, I had one shipped from David Silver Spares in the UK for $330C shipping, conversion everything. That's fine for parts that I want to keep on hand, my concern is being on the road in Canada with basically no parts available for 10 days which seems to be the case. We have two Triumphs now, my wife's Street Triple and my Tiger which we ride a lot and this experience with my fan just doesn't instill confidence. Doesn't mean we won't ride them any less but I guess I'll just be a little more rigorous in my pre trip maintenance.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #1326
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I may just do that. That's what I ended up doing for parts for my Honda CBF 1000. A stator was $550C from my local dealer, I had one shipped from David Silver Spares in the UK for $330C shipping, conversion everything. That's fine for parts that I want to keep on hand, my concern is being on the road in Canada with basically no parts available for 10 days which seems to be the case. We have two Triumphs now, my wife's Street Triple and my Tiger which we ride a lot and this experience with my fan just doesn't instill confidence. Doesn't mean we won't ride them any less but I guess I'll just be a little more rigorous in my pre trip maintenance.
I am curious about what happened to the fan to make it warp and hit the radiator. Very strange all that. Was it before or after it had a nap in the sand? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=564
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.

blacktiger screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 03:14 PM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #1327
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I am curious about what happened to the fan to make it warp and hit the radiator. Very strange all that. Was it before or after it had a nap in the sand? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=564
Before. As I said earlier the fan was the last thing on my mind to ever worry about. It's tucked up high behind the rad and looks like to me very well protected. Even if the rad did move back the fan assembly would just move back with it. I'm wondering how long my fan had been "stuck". I've been mainly just commuting to work which is just highway riding where my fan would never kick on. I commented awhile ago how I never got any heat off the Tiger. Well, once I got my fan spinning I could sure feel the heat coming off the motor and I've NEVER felt heat like that since owning the bike. And after checking the fuse and looking at the fan itself, the blades would not move. I thought the fan motor was seized. It was only after fiddling with the blades some more that they finally spun free.

My bike has never over heated and unless it HAD over heated I have no idea how the fan blade housing warped. Sure I can see how that housing would warp if the bike over heated, but they had to be warped to make the bike over heat in the first place.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #1328
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Before. As I said earlier the fan was the last thing on my mind to ever worry about. It's tucked up high behind the rad and looks like to me very well protected. Even if the rad did move back the fan assembly would just move back with it. I'm wondering how long my fan had been "stuck". I've been mainly just commuting to work which is just highway riding where my fan would never kick on. I commented awhile ago how I never got any heat off the Tiger. Well, once I got my fan spinning I could sure feel the heat coming off the motor and I've NEVER felt heat like that since owning the bike. And after checking the fuse and looking at the fan itself, the blades would not move. I thought the fan motor was seized. It was only after fiddling with the blades some more that they finally spun free.

My bike has never over heated and unless it HAD over heated I have no idea how the fan blade housing warped. Sure I can see how that housing would warp if the bike over heated, but they had to be warped to make the bike over heat in the first place.
Something I found this morning on mine might be a contributor .................. Although I haven't had your problem....................... There's a strut from the cylinder block to the bottom of the radiator. I found the top bolt on that strut missing, gone. The radiator, without that bolt, can move slightly. Might want to check you've still got yours intact. New bolt with a spring washer behind it fitted now.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #1329
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Something I found this morning on mine might be a contributor .................. Although I haven't had your problem....................... There's a strut from the cylinder block to the bottom of the radiator. I found the top bolt on that strut missing, gone. The radiator, without that bolt, can move slightly. Might want to check you've still got yours intact. New bolt with a spring washer behind it fitted now.
Tiger is so smooth I don't feel all the work it's doing... I guess it's easy to miss some of these fasteners tucked away here and there, and they're really taking a lot of vibration down there!

One of these days I'll just go on a Loctite binge I think.
__________________
Lusting for: Hoping that 2015 Tiger XC will be rev 2
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2011 Tiger 800 XC -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1330
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,469
Air filter

Just got back from a 4 day dual sport ride. It was dusty and I knew I'd need to change my air filter, but WOW! What a procedure. My wife and I were supposed to have a quick turn around, just swap my BattleWings back on for a 3 week street tour but had to change our plans. Good thing cause I sure wouldn't want to be changing an air filter in a motel parking lot. Here's my filter after 7000kms of 99% street riding and 4 days of a dual sport ride through the mountains.



I can't believe what's involved to get to the air filter. I ordered a UNI pre-filter from Australia, it can't get here soon enough. I honestly think the Tiger will pretty much be relegated to street duty from here on out. Disappointed and a little sad. The Tiger could be my only bike but there's no way in hell I want to be trying to keep clean filters in it on dual sport rides. Plus the parts availability or more accurately the lack of parts. I bought this new filter because I knew I needed it, and wanted to have a spare on hand but the dealer only had ONE filter for the Tiger.

I will never bitch about cleaning and oiling our DR filters again and the DR just got bumped back up to primary back roads explorer. Triumph got so many things right with the Tiger but for an "Adventure" bike this filter thing sure lets it down.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #1331
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I can't believe what's involved to get to the air filter. I ordered a UNI pre-filter from Australia, it can't get here soon enough. I honestly think the Tiger will pretty much be relegated to street duty from here on out. Disappointed and a little sad. The Tiger could be my only bike but there's no way in hell I want to be trying to keep clean filters in it on dual sport rides.
And once you get the pre-filter you can promote it back to full dirt duty. Unifilter claim that the pre-filter takes 95% of the dirt out of the air flow. So that means that the filter buried in the box should last 20 times what it would without the pre-filter.

But you're right. The access to the filter is a big mistake and I have posted that on their Facebook page. It would help if everyone did the same, then they might do something about it in future.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #1332
IL8APEX
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Detroit-ish
Oddometer: 88
I took my XC on a couple of two tracks last weekend, and was alarmed at how quickly the bike blew through the stroke on the front end. Problem is, I REALLY like the road manners of this motorcycle even though it does dive a little excessively on braking. I believe I will need stiffer fork springs and perhaps a slightly higher oil level to get a good compromise setup before re-evaluating more serious action.

For those of you who have done fork mods: Do you believe your additional off-road capability has come at the cost of on-road handling? I'm not willing to give up one for the other on this bike.

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #1333
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Noosa, Australia
Oddometer: 511
www.motorcyclenews.com (MCN) posted a link to a brilliant video today. Produced by the clothing company Icon, it features 2 800XC's in extreme riding locations. This would be one of the best 30 min motorcycle action vids yet produced.

Cannot copy and paste from my iPad so maybe someone can post the direct link.
__________________
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #1334
Jeroen!
Adventurer
 
Jeroen!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYA...&feature=share
__________________
Why so serious ?

Tiger 800xc '11
Jeroen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #1335
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX View Post
I took my XC on a couple of two tracks last weekend, and was alarmed at how quickly the bike blew through the stroke on the front end. Problem is, I REALLY like the road manners of this motorcycle even though it does dive a little excessively on braking. I believe I will need stiffer fork springs and perhaps a slightly higher oil level to get a good compromise setup before re-evaluating more serious action.

For those of you who have done fork mods: Do you believe your additional off-road capability has come at the cost of on-road handling? I'm not willing to give up one for the other on this bike.

-Tom
Personally, I believe the set up on this type of bike is always going to be a compromise. Yes, if you're a fast rider off road you're going to find its limitations and the same applies if you take the bike on a track day. After all, it's not a race bike, it's an adventure bike. That is, a bike you can explore out of the way places and rely on the bike to get you home again. If you want to launch yourself off jumps, get a different bike. I think the suspension is fine as it is.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014