User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Time line

Looking to leave Del Rancho Chihuahua (home of the cushioned toilet seat) in Port Orchard on Monday the 11th.

Head up to Port Townsend and cross on the ferry to Whidbey Island and then over the Cascades on 20, the North Cascades Highway. Camp the first night will be near Winthrop hopefully. From there on the ride is all new territory for me and since I'm want to dawdle at times, it is hard to say where I'll end up the next day. I plan on sticking to all the northern most paved routes across Washington into Idaho and Montana. I'm guessing I'll be somewhere near Glacier around Wednesday/Thursday.

After that, it is anyone's guess where I'll head. Taking my Rand McNally atlas and talking to locals and allowing for weather to steer me along. Be somewhat like a gentleman we met on a dresser Harley last year up at the top of the North Cascades pass.

"Hi I'm from Eastern Canada, know any good roads going in that direction?"

"I hear HWY 12 across Idaho is nice."

"Sounds great, I'm off!"

And away he went.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Hey, I know a great place just outside of Winthrop
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulked Up View Post
You can always get another job.
Not according to 15 million plus unemployed Americans!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #19
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_ADV_RIDER View Post
Not according to 15 million plus unemployed Americans!
Kids, let me remind one and all this fact is precisely why we are taking off on this trip. To forget that bit of trivia.

Tomorrow is the big day, but we'll see if I actually make it out. My wife, the financial rock I rely on right now is not feeling well so I may have to delay a day. Otherwise a late start is in order and a short ride where I won't make it over the Cascades to Eastern Washington.

I still have a couple of things to sort out with the bike, like a shifter adjustment for the hiking boots I'll be wearing instead of proper riding boots and some minor packing to sort out. I have a fantastic pair of Sidi's I ride in, but they kill me to walk around in and on my last trip I passed on some walk-about due to footware. This bugs me somewhat as I've had a major foot injury in the past due to improper footware, but since I'm riding the SV650n and not a dualsport and will stick to pavement the whole way, hopefully a set of sturdy Merrills will be adequate.

As to the packing, I'm sort of obsessive-compulsive. I'll pack all up once and then unpack it all to make sure I've not overlooked anything and I'm good to go. This habit has paid off more than once in the past on assorted trips of various destinations and mode of travel.

Also, since I'll be traveling with my sole computer, I need to do some back ups of data I need to keep safe and make sure the machine is good to go. Takes a little time there.

Today was wrapping up some chores about the place, oil change for the wife's car and get a close cropped hair cut to alleviate "hair-care" on the ride. I learned the last time out to shave the beard and head and camping is much easier in the long run. Had to mount a top-box today as well and then search about for where I hid the Spot transponder and GPS on top of everything else. It was handy that the bear spray was all in the same hiding spot as I'll be camping and cooking in grizzly country on this trip. Heck, I get bears in my yard, this trip shouldn't be much different overall.

I'll post a photo of the bike tomorrow ready to roll.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Obsessive? Nah - well, maybe.

Send me a link to your spot transponder.
I don't have it handy.
Wish I was going on this ride with ya.

I'm packed and ready to fly out in the morning.
I'd rather be riding.

Good luck and let go of those demons on the road.
Sleep peacefully under the stars.
You might want to shoot for Tumwater campground outside of Leavenworth for a first night.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #21
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

and...

dude, bring some walking shoes.

You can always take the boots off when you get some place interesting
Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #22
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 359
Luggage Set-Up

What are you doing for luggage? My friend and I both have SV's and we ponder what is the best setup for luggage. Have you sourced any racks, panniers, etc.? BTW I am about to retire a little early, as my wife is nervous about finances but the more ride reports I read, the less concerned I am about homelessness I have a good bike, a good tent and a good sleeping bag. What more does a man need?
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #23
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
What are you doing for luggage? My friend and I both have SV's and we ponder what is the best setup for luggage. Have you sourced any racks, panniers, etc.? BTW I am about to retire a little early, as my wife is nervous about finances but the more ride reports I read, the less concerned I am about homelessness I have a good bike, a good tent and a good sleeping bag. What more does a man need?
A damn good sleeping pad!

I have a set of Givi E21 panniers mounted to SW-Motech racks. I chose SW-Motech over the Givi racks as the SW's are a cleaner set-up once the panniers are removed and the topbox mount is held closer to the rear-seat. If you ride two-up, the Givi rack might be better for passenger comfort, of course that is a relative thing given the passenger seat on the SV. I mounted a medium sized Pelican-clone case as a top box with loops on top for a cargo net and strapped to the seat is the large, Wolfman Expedition duffle. Average sized tank bag and a Camelback, backpack. Yeah folks say don't ride with a backpack, it is too fatiguing etc. Doesn't really bother me once you get used to the weight of 3L of water. I ran out of water in the middle of nowhere Nevada last year and now that pack bothers me not at all.

The load distribution is left pannier is food/kitchen. Right pannier is tool-kit, rain-gear. Top box has small laptop and misc. UNder the cargo net on the topbox is a collapsible cooler for the end of the day. Duffle is camp -- the tent, pad, Monarch chair, tarp and is expandible for anything I might pick up from the grocery store or the like. Tank bag is camera, gps, phone, cords, couple of tools and misc. Backpack is primarily clothing and of course my water.

I might get a wild hair today and swap out the duffle for my Coyote bag instead and mount it backwards. We'll see.

This is a very similar load to what I carry on my DR650 as well, but then instead of Givi panniers, I run the Wolfman Expedition panniers.

This is what it looks like less the backpack:

I could reduce the top load somewhat by going to a larger size pannier, but then I'd be forced to go side-load and of course I'd increase the width of the bike. Right now, the load is just narrower than the handle bars. This set up forces me to keep my camp kit essentially the same from SV650n to DR650 as well. Of course the DR gets some extra parts/tools as it goes offroad and has demonstrated a tendency in the past to tip over on a whim.

I picked this bike up last Fall from a buddy. I traded some firearms for it, in other words, "Take my appreciating assets for your depreciating vehicle in trade." Over the winter I added taller/wider dirt-bike bars which necessitated longer cables and brakeline, all a huge pain in the butt to get sorted as it was all custom,but for the clutch which is from the same year DL650. That was handy as the custom clutch line was incorrect of course. Added heated grips, power outlet and a buss-bar under the seat for all electrical connections. I got tired of trying to wire everythng to the battery. Buss-bar is much cleaner. Had to re-route some of the wire-harness as well to deal with the taller bars. So I've had some time to get familar with the layout of the bike "under the hood" so to speak.

The seat is a torture device and a sheepskin seems to help. Money is not there right now for a custom seat, unless I cancelled the trip for a seat. I've put about 500 miles on the bike (1800 total).

Well, I'd better get to the last little bit of packing and some minor chores before I head out. Should be able to hit the road early this afternoon.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #24
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Subscrbed

Looks like a great setup. My friend has the Sargeant saddle which he has been complaining about and I have the Suzuki aftermarket gel saddle which pretty much sucks after about 150 miles. I have a Corbin saddle on my Kawasaki ZZR and it is pretty comfortable, so I might go with a Corbin on my SV. In any event, I am subscribed and look forward to following your ride. Send me a PM if you find yourself near Ketchum, Idaho. My son lives there in a cabin outside of town and they can probably put you up for a night to save on a hotel or campground. Stretch $ .
Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #25
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

looking forward to that first report from the rode...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Track Transponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetRider57 View Post
looking forward to that first report from the rode...

Did he ever send you a link to his track transponder? Been watching the site and getting worried he did'nt make it out of his zip code before something went to hell
Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #27
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Transponder Tells the Tale - for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
Did he ever send you a link to his track transponder? Been watching the site and getting worried he did'nt make it out of his zip code before something went to hell
no worries - he did send me the link via PM.

he's on the road, but taking a different route than initially planned according to the transponder.
prolly a smart choice given that the North Cascades Highway is still pretty dicey, I think.
we've had a really late snow season here in WA this year.

tonight would be his third night on the road.
looks like first day over Chinook pass, over-nighting off 410 East of Mt Rainier.
somehow made it to Central Oregon for the second night.
Spot says he's next to the Snake River tonight - on the OR side - just ENE of Baker City .
don't want to steal his thunder, but looks like he's doing well.
I'm anxious to read the details.

I'm also really jealous
Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
It's to bad I didn't really read this earlier, I probably would have loaded up my bike and hit the road with you. I need to get away from my surroundings for a while and a Bike trip is right on top of the list.

If I didn't have doctor appointments next week I would leave today.

Have fun on your ride and be safe.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #29
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,773
I'm in!
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #30
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Suzuki free650screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" border=0>
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote