Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #46
eupson
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Excellent RR. I'm enjoying every minute of it!

I forget sometimes just how much some people suck though. I decided that it was about time to figure out some locks for my soft side saddle bags after hearing about that douchebag, aka flatbiller, who stole your cooler. Gear is just too valuable when your in the middle of a long ride.

Looking forward to more
eupson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #47
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
dollar store bicycle cable and any lock will slow many down, the rest will find a way whatever.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #48
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Tetons

I see you made it to Grand Teton National park.

Outstanding

Go have a buffalo burger at Colter Bay Village?

Watch out for the Grizz
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #49
eupson
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Over my 4th of July weekend I took the Idaho city route from Boise to Stanley, ID. I noticed a lot of riders along that windy and scenic stretch of road. I was thinking it might be one you would like so I was surprised and glad you were able to check it out. Too bad for the break light bonanza.
eupson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #50
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Bluhduh Day 7, Southern Idaho. Gawd I love this place,...

Got up, the hosts at the camp site (open, grassy field in the sun) invited me over for coffee. Turns out the gentlemen is a former commercial pilot that retired to Hailey, Idaho.

On the road, I'm headed to Pocatello to visit a former co-worker from Intel. This is getting to be an annual visit on my rides -- do it a third time and it will be a habit. He's good enough about it I let him know I'm in the region and then with short notice I've got a shower and a place to crash for the night. Funny thing is and this might be normal for the region, but he has a water softener installed. And I think it is cranked to max performance. Once you soap up in the shower, it never comes off. Stand in the shower all you want, rub and scrub and the feeling of still being soapy never goes away. I can't really get used to that, but a small price to pay for crashing on a comfy couch.

Anyhow, from Sun Valley/Ketchum to Pocatello is not likely to ever be a riding destination. It is sort of dull and hot.

I pulled into Craters of the Moon Park and to me it looked just like Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. Lava fields and scrub. But here, there are no mai-tais and nothing is macadamia nutcrusted. There is a loop in the park, but it is too hot out to tag along behind a motorhome in the sun at 10MPH so I passed and pushed on.

Next stop, Arco, Idaho. I have a great uncle here and my mother is emailing me to stop and visit with them. Yeah, last time I saw him (the one time I met him), I believe I was 12 or thereabouts and now I'm 47. Knocking on the door and saying "Remember Me!?!" is likely to net me a shotgun pointed at me and a "You go on and git."

So I simply continue on.

Arco has an interesting tradition of painting class years up on the rocks. Now I've done it, I've posted a picture of this on the internet, now some greenie from SF will chain himself up on the hill proclaiming "Protect the rimrock from vandals!"

Now the next pic is a mental exercise for others that have never been to the lovely region of Southern Idaho. Step one is to put a heat lamp on your head, a fan blowing as hard as possible from the side and then stare at this pic for two hours.

Okay, that's great, you are just getting started, do it again to fully appreciate riding in the region.

The host back at the camp I started from told me to stop at Atomic City, "It's a hoot!.

So I get sort of excited when I see a sign to it and turn in. Imagining an eclectic community and a neon sign shaped like an atom.

Not a god-damned thing there, nothing. Jokes on me.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #51
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Thumb Day 8, into Wyoming. A new state for the avatar

Bounce (did I say "bounce"?) out of bed at 6AM, which is to say 3 to 5 hours earlier than normal for me and get ready to head, out. I snap a pic of Eric as he is heading off to work. Gracious host deserves some credit and air time in the report. I offer to let him ride the bike on the condition, you dump it, I get your truck.

He declines to ride the bike.

At the gas station moments later I discover to my horror I've lost my debit card. Visions of another failed trip and a straight blast home financed by VISA flashes through my head. I sprint back to the restuarant we ate at the night before and around back a delivery truck is there and an employee is out in the shade smoking. I tell him I hopefully
left my card there the night before and he takes me inside to look for it. We track down the manager and he says it should be in the safe. He fumbles with the safe for a while and finally gets it open. He pulls out the first cash tray and there are a handful of cards and ID's in it.

But not mine.

He pulls out the second tray and same story. I'm sweating bullets at this point.Third drawer is a charm, there it is. The ride continues.

Outside in the parking lot the manager comes out as I'm getting ready to head out and asks where I'm from. Then I say that is nothing on a bike, it's the bicyclists that impress me, sweating their way over passes out in the middle of nowhere. He says "Yeah, I spoke to a guy on a bike once and asked him where he was from?"

"Jersey Shores, been on the road thirty days."

Mind you, this is Pocatello, Idaho. Long damn ways on a bicycle from Jersey Shores.

On the road and on the on ramp I see something up ahead crawling, dragging itself across the on ramp. It's a marmot that had just been clipped by a car, crushing its hind legs. It's a fairly pitiful sight and if I'd been in a more remote area I'd have finished it off. But touching off a 10mm on the edge of town is probably not a kosher idea and I'm forced to simply move on with that image now in my mind.

In Soda Springs I stop for a cup of coffee and meet this couple on shiny BMW's headed home to Denver after a trip up to Glacier.

In Wayan, I stop for a pee and another cup of coffee and a local asks me wear I'm headed and he suggests an alternate route that is more rider-friendly to the Teton's going over 22 rather than 26 and it was a pretty good ride when traffic was thin.

Palisades Dam on the way.

Over the pass and headed north towards Grand Teton National Park and I pull in here.

It's another tourist destination, but I wander around anyhow. They have a bungie strung up to fire kids in the air, this kid was making the most of it. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun, but I suspect the weight limit is somewhat south of 230lbs.

Back in the parking lot, I check the weather. Aw shit, huge weather advisory concerning a thunderstorm and 50MPH winds. I'm not going to camp and deal with that crap. So I punch up a number of hotels and look for one near and affordable. Hmm, here is one for $1499 a night, I can see it from where I'm standing. Yes, it looks nice, but I'll have to slum it I guess. I book the Alpenhof and then hop on the bike to go look for it.I rode around some and then asked for directions. Turned out I had actually booked the hotel from about 100yds from it in the parking lot to begin with.

I got checked in and the bike covered just in time.

At dinner that night, I hand my precious debit card to the waitress and she says,"I'll be damned, Kitsap County Credit Union, I'm from Poulsbo!"

Poulsbo is about 30 miles from my home and that credit union is very, very local. So much so, in the future when traveling I'll deal with the devil and get an account at Bank of America just for the availability in case of losing a card again.

Yeah, it's a small world.

Right now I'm sitting in the lounge/lobby area of the Grand Teton Lodge. Darn nice place, impressive view from the windows.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #52
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Thumb Day 9, into the Teton's and a taste of Yellowstone

Up, hit the breakfast bar included in the price of the room fairly hard and on the road up to the park.

Looking back at Teton Village.

I get my first good glimpse, or rather an in your face view of the Tetons.

I also run into my first tourist/animal jam. Back in the brush I can see a moose bedded down. Too far away for 3x optical zoom so no pic.I head up to Colton Campground as it has showers and is relatively near to Yellowstone.

Marina view at Colton.

Further up and into Yellowstone at Lewis Lake.

Up at Grant Village I stop to get something to drink and a sticker for the bike, the only souvineers I'm collecting on the trip and I come outside to a Honda Africa Twin parked next to me. And it has a plate that I can't identify on it, if I'd have looked more closely I could of figured it out. So sat down to wait for the owner. Looking back at the building I could see the bar in the restuarant and then I hoped he wasn't in there. But I'd wait anyhow.

After a short while the owner wanders out. It is Stefan from Germany.

The man shipped his bike to Vancouver, BC, headed towards Alaska with a couple of guys on Royal Enfields that had come across Russia and another 2 stroke bike of a description I forget. Dealing with the cold and rain proved to much for him and he turned south. At this point he is six weeks into an 18 month trip to Tierra del Fueggo. Possible spelling issue there, but the tip of South America for the rest of us.

Boggles my mind.

Turns out he's been to India, several times, North Africa, etc,...

He'd parked next to me as my bike looked different than the cruisers seen everywhere, more like someone really out for a ride as well, even comparatively mild in comparison.

And without the benefit of advrider.com at any point. Unbelievable

He tells me up in the park the day before he got four flats, one self induced while pinching a tube and on the final one he was out in the open in that storm. "As I was sitting there fixing my fourth flat in that storm it was just, um, just,... um,... Perfect." He says shaking his head with some sarcasm.

Back in camp that night a tall, classic american biker wanders into my camp. It's Chopper Steve as he calls himself. He's a carpenter that works under the table until he has a couple of grand in his pocket and then hits the road on his, surprise, chopper. This is no bar-to-bar show-queen, this bike is ridden and ridden everywhere. Name a pass worth riding in the west, Chopper Steve has been there and plans to go back. He plants the seed to run Beartooth out of the north of Yellowstone.

We stay up too late BS'ing while everyone else is asleep in the park.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #53
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Moose pictures

Dude, no need for a long telephoto lens - just walk right up to that moose like all the other jokers

Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #54
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Thumb Day ten, 30MPH for a day

Crawl out of my tent at 8AM, an hour later than I really should and see a green Versys all loaded up and ready to roll out in the camp next to me. He sports an ADV sticker and shouts to me he left a note for me on my bike. It's his card, it is CharlestonADV out from the East. I didn't get a pic as I was still stumbling about in a sleepy haze sans coffee.

Plan for the day is to ride around the park and I take off. Along the way I recall Stefan is camped at Lewis Lake and if he is still there I'll drop in. Africa twins aren't too common so it should stand out. I find him to say "Hi" and he is there with a couple from Switzerland. They DID recognize his plate and were taking his camp as he was heading out. He asked where I was going and said, "Great, I'll go with you."

Sounds good to me and we spent the rest of the day, all damn day riding around the park. Usually at 30MPH in a train of cage-bound tourists ogling at trees and bison. Bison are so common, they become as entertaining as cows for the most part.

At Md Volcano we hike around, still in gear, me gasping for air as I'm so out of shape, see pic below. I think I'm actually sucking my gut in too. No use, may as well let it hang out.

Mud Volcano pics.

Stopped to take a picture of this tree as we were walking out, actually to catch my breath.

"Come on, let's go!"

"Wait, I gotta get this just right,..."

Random pics from the day, some falls here at "The Brink"

Stefan at the falls looking somewhat more rugged than myself

I'm less imposing looking, despite the sour face.

I gotta get a matching, contrasting colored riding suit, it is quite dashing. Footwear makes the outfit, for goodness sake, I'm wearing brown shoes with a black outfit, what a cur.

Getting gas later a pretty Japanese girl asks us for directions. After she leaves, in her rented Toyota, Stefan remarks, Toyotas come with those, pretty Japanese girl in the trunk right?

At this point, Stefan asks, "What is it with American women."
I reply, "Why are they so fat?"
"Yeah!"

I had to explain that is sort of getting to be more and more the norm for all of us anymore (reference above pic) and here at a national park, we are sort of seeing middle america, mr average and family. The parks and such are not so much a destination as it would be for the "pretty people".

I did tell him of what I saw at the mountain bike races. Anyhow, the pretty people are at the resorts, not the parks. The parks, they are dirty.

Further around the park on the top loop in the canyon area.

Big rock wall looking ready at any time to come down on your head.

Nice waterfall along the way, from here I spotted something across the canyon in the brush, Stefan went for his binoculars (why I don't carry a set is beyond me) and finally as it scurries out of the brush, it is a marmot, in much better shape than the one I seen previously. Interestingly, they wave their tail about like a squirrel as they run about. Couldn't tell that from the frist marmot I'd seen.

At Mammoth Hotsprings we park at the bottom and hike to the top, each turn revealing another fight of stairs going even higher, but we press on. I'm dying, but the exercise is good for me and I deserve the misery for letting myself get so out of shape.

About halfway up, looking at the top

Top looking down, way, way down to our bikes from the damn parking lot on top.

You know what is at the top of Mammoth Springs?

Freaking parking lot!

We could have rode to the top rather than walking up in gear, cooking and gasping for breath.

After that little episode it is time to head back and maybe stop at Old Faithful. We get there, but neither of us is really feeling like wandering around and make a break for my camp where Stefan is welcome to stay.What a slog, I've never taken so long, to go such a short distance. Out of Yellowstone on a long straightaway, I'm finally fed up with dawdling cars that brake even going uphill and do the 100MPH three car pass, Stefan quickly follows after a bit and makes the comment in camp that night about deer on the road. I told him I figured there were just as many deer near my home as here so I wasn't going to continue to ride the tourist pace anymore. Tired, cold and ready for Happy-Hour.

Now, I don't have bison or elk in my neighobrhood, but we didn't discuss that
possiblility.

One small issue with traveling solo on a bike is all the food that is not crap is packaged for several people or for the leftovers to be stored in a refrigerator. Not really an option for the solo rider. WIth two of us in camp, our options are much better with habenero sausages, a full loaf of crusty bread, a package of fresh vegies, primarily stir-fry cut onions and peppers we eat raw. Beer and G&T round it out. Judging from the look on Stefan's face when he tried his G&T, I still mix them plenty strong.

Slept like a rock after the day and the meal.

It should be noted and it was pointed out to me by another unidentified ADV rider that Teton is actually much more dramatic from a bike then Yellowstone and the traffic is lighter as well. Yellowstone was more for the hiker/fisherman and not a riding destination so much. And after the fact I would tend to agree.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #55
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Teton to Yellowstone

As you've discovered, slogging back and forth between Teton and Yellowstone can be brutal. I did that too. Time to head North through Yellowstone and keep moving, perhaps. Spend your next night somewhere else. Find your way to Devil's Tower if you can? It's impressive.

Very cool that you've managed to see Yellowstone. Excellent post - brings back memories for me. One visual I will never forget from that trip - I pulled over to the side of the road to watch a bull bison pursuing a cow through the grass. He just kept trailing her and sniffing at her hind end. Finally she just stopped and lifted her tail with the witless bull raising his nose to the scent. She sent out a stream like a fire hose and just doused him from about 3 feet away - straight into his face. She then tucked her tail down and strolled away. Apparently he liked it, cuz he followed
Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #56
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

The closeup picture of Mammoth Springs is awesome.

I note that you brought some walking shoes.
Smart move.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #57
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Home

It is the 26th and I am home. On Friday, while sitting at the awesome Jackson Lodge writing up ride reports while Stefan blogged and woke up his wife back home in Germany at 1:30 in the morning via Skype their time I got "the call".

Things have seriously gone downhill at home. I spend another day with Stefan riding about, doing two passes to the south of the Tetons as a riding adventure. That night we drink entirely too much and as such freeze in our sleeping bags.

In the morning, Stefan is lightening his load as he realizes he is carrying too much debris and gives me his Glock brand spade to match the Glock 20 I am discreetly carrying.

"Here, this has shoveled shit holes all over the world, it is yours."

Loaded, on the bike and ready to leave, I tell him to shake out his boots. I leave him with a can of butane, a small LED light and a can of bear spray. He has been traveling defenseless the whole trip but for the spade he gave me and force of personality so the spray is a proper gift after listening to a bear alarm in a neighboring camp of the sound of poundng pots and pans.

I made the Tetons to Boise the first day and Boise to near the summit of I-90 at Snoqualmie the next. They closed the pass on me for blasting at 8PM. I got to sit there for nearly two hours as it got dark and started to rain. Once they opened the road, it was impossible to see the road at all from my bike and after three hours of adventure that included offroad riding through the woods I ended up back at the summit at a hotel at 1AM.

The next day, today actually, I got up and made the final dash home nearly getting run over only six miles from home. Road work again, with a sign saying single lane road ahead. To the attentative this would imply that possibly traffic may be stopped ahead. Well as I pulled up to the stopped vehicle in front, waiting to get the signal to proceed I peak in my mirrors. Sure as shit, a cellphone talking, texting shit-4-brains is coming up fast so I sprint around the car in front of me off to the side to get out of the way. After the screeching of tires when the asshole finally decides to take notice of traffic conditions he is about about a foot from the car originally in front of me, with me safely in the opposing lane out of the way.

I can't seem to reach the Glock in my backpack for a well deserved roadside execution, so I'll have to wait for Darwin to sort this ass out. Hopefully, no other, less attentive innocent bystanders will suffer from his future driving.

In short, a solo ride is really the only way to go. I met fun and interesting people the whole way, unlike while traveling with friends. I did things I wouldn't ordinarily do and am the richer for it. At least once a year, for whatever reason, a solo trip is mandatory. You never know what will happen. This one had its ups and downs, but the memories will never fade.

The next solo trip will be made much sooner than later.

Over and out kids,...

10 State Trip 2010
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #58
Kenny M.
Tepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Hey Steve. Great ride. I still use the cap light you left with me in Nevada. Glad you had a great adventure.
74 Norton Commando
10 KLX250s
Kenny M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #59
243Win OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M. View Post
Hey Steve. Great ride. I still use the cap light you left with me in Nevada. Glad you had a great adventure.
Hiya, NIce to hear from ya!

I get those little lights now by the dozen when I see them on sale so now it has become habit to give them away to folks I meet and spend some time with while on the road camping

"Hey, that is a cool little light."

Pull it off my hat and toss it to them.

Next ride is back to North California and the Redwoods, run 299, etc. Leaving here on 8/6 and plan to be there on 8/8.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #60
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Steve , thanks for the Ride Report ! Did the helmet time relieve some stress ? Even a half day ride can usually mellow my brain out . Have ridden through many areas you did on this trip . Was hoping you could have made it to Beartooth Pass , some great riding through there . On crosswinds on my WeeStrom I sure notice cross winds , can be pretty fun keeping it in my lane . But it sure does well on gravel and doubletrack . Looks like we are in for almost a whole week of "summer" finally . I enjoyed your writing style , keep up the good work .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote