Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I use the Cabelas waterproof duffel. Works well and is durable.
+1000. They DO NOT leak.
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I use the Cabelas waterproof duffel. Works well and is durable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
+1000. They DO NOT leak.
Think 16 days rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I used a large duffle and small backpack and my stuff stayed dry the whole time. I travel for work with a small duffle and sometimes my gear rides in the back of a pick up in all kinds of weather and it too has never leaked.

Having said that, I'm seriously thinking a Wolfman small size is in my near future. The Cabelas bags are just a tad big for what I want to pack on a bike.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
Though not sold as a "dry bag", I've been using North Face Basecamp duffels for nearly 12 years (2 years on a bike) and have never had a leak. I just spent two straight days riding in the rain w/ a size medium TNF Basecamp duffel on the back and everything inside stayed dry. Inside the duffel I carry my tent w/ poles and stakes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow, clothes, iPad and Chaco's on the inside w/ my tripod strapped to the outside. It's packed pretty tight but this works well for me.

Here's a pic of it on the back of my bike.
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
fishhuntride OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Which size Bags-Connection bag is that, 34L or 60L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ronm View Post
Blue Seattle Sports Roll Top Waterproof Duffel Bag - Large on the VStrom. Stapped with ROK straps thru the carry handles.

Black Bag Connections Roll Top Waterproof Bag on the Versys. Comes with it's own tie downs and has multiple attachment points.

fishhuntride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Earache
Hola!

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk View Post
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p..._Clothes_Sacks

10X20 medium
12X26 large
14X32 Xlarge

Absolutely waterproof.

made in USA

Thousands in use by motorcyclists all over the world.

Hope this helps!

Tom Volk

full disclosure:
I own RPW
Home of Marsee Products and Helen Twowheels products
My Helen 2 Wheels Large duffle leaks...and it's only 7 years old, has 100,000+ miles on it, used as a gear bag for international flights several times, hauled way much shit in it than it should.

Just bought another one from RPW (no affiliation whatsoever) as they're local to me, have them in stock and are nice guys.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #21
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhuntride View Post
Which size Bags-Connection bag is that, 34L or 60L?

Medium either 34l (Twisted Throttle) or 35l (SW Motech catalog).

I also have a North Face Basecamp in Large, it is not sold as 100% waterproof as the other posted said, but it is near waterproof and has more tiedowns than you could ever need and will outlast everything else (its my second NF basecamp, my original 1980 vintage is used for more mundane uses anymore)..........the problem is that it is too big for non-camping trips, thus the Bags-Connection bag.

a2ronm screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 04:27 AM
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #22
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk View Post
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p..._Clothes_Sacks

10X20 medium
12X26 large
14X32 Xlarge

Absolutely waterproof.

made in USA

Thousands in use by motorcyclists all over the world.

Hope this helps!

Tom Volk

full disclosure:
I own RPW
Home of Marsee Products and Helen Twowheels products
I have several HelenTwoWheels bags and they're great. Very well made and easy to access on the bike. Highly recommended.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
+100 on the Wolfman Bag. Excellent customer service and support. I use the medium bag on the back of my GS and am pleased every time that I load it up and strap it on the bike. Very flexible as to how it can be packed and the amount of kit and gear that can be stowed is amazing.
+2 from me - I used the Wolfman on my trip around Oz - 14,000+ klms with half on dirt - not a drop of water or dust got in. Wouldn't even consider using anything else.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #24
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Wolfman Bag

Wolfman Dry Duffel on the DR...little dusty place called William Creek east of Coober Pedy - great pub - actually that is about the only thing there!
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #25
jerbelgium
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottz View Post
Wolfman Dry Duffel on the DR...little dusty place called William Creek east of Coober Pedy - great pub - actually that is about the only thing there!

Hi Pottz,

great bag, what size of wolfman bag do you have?
jerbelgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
shippy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Made by Avon boats, If it gets to bad I can get in it.

Sent from the Pit of Hell
shippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #27
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
Think 16 days rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I used a large duffle and small backpack and my stuff stayed dry the whole time. I travel for work with a small duffle and sometimes my gear rides in the back of a pick up in all kinds of weather and it too has never leaked.

Having said that, I'm seriously thinking a Wolfman small size is in my near future. The Cabelas bags are just a tad big for what I want to pack on a bike.
Well I pulled the trigger on the Wolfman bag and used it on a 9 day Colorado trip this summer. Only got rained on a couple times and it did not leak and it was bomb proof in addition. Pics:

On bike in Beyers Canyon

What it looked like packed

What was in it

L to R: size 13 camp shoes, Monarch chair, stake bag, Columbia Reactor sleeping bag, BA insulated air core XL mat, Cabelas XPG 2 man tent (in granite gear comp sac) and Cabela's foot print for tent (subsequently just stuffed with the tent)

There was room to spare but I "try" to travel light. Probably lighter than some but not as light as others

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I have the large Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffle as well as a Sealine 24" dry bag & I'm sure a couple of other ones.... The Wolfman bag is nice in that the full length of the bag is accessible when opened. Not so with the other ones. It also has rings for attachment straps which the others do not. Straps are included but not really useable on a sportbike. Mostly meant to be used with a rack.

I borrowed a Twisted Throttle Dry Spec 38L bag from a friend to use on a recent camping trip. It worked very well as the included straps could be used on my bike. Another benefit of this bag is that it has a rigid liner that enables the bag to be packed/unpacked or items removed/added to the bag when it is attached to the bike. Can't do that with the others.

My fave is the Wolfman Timberline which is not a drybag but when sprayed with DuPont 303 has worked well so far. A benefit for me is that it attaches to the bike easily & I can access the bag without having to unstrap or remove it. The best feature of that one is straps to attach tent, Kermit, whatnot to the outside of the bag without having all of that stuff fall off when removing the bag from the bike. It also has lots of extra loops for a bungee net to hold things that need to be readily accessible.

On a somewhat related note, I see where many pack the tent, sleeping bag & clothes in the same dry bag. If your tent happens to be wet the next morning when you pack, do you really want a wet tent inside a dry bag with your sleeping bag & clothes???

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #29
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I bought one of these a few years ago. I got an 80l one. About 60. Totally waterproof. Takes a shite load of gear. Also compacts right down if its not full. Comes with four compression straps and a heavy duty shoulder strap. (One in the picture does not have the four straps only two). There are two on the sides and two over the top) material is thick and has taken everything I have thrown at it so far..recommended

http://www.cyclocamping.com/Dry_Bags..._H1_H2-48.aspx

AB
AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #30
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhuntride View Post

I searched and read several threads but still have some questions. First is with sizing. How is that bags with almost the exact same measurements can be rated anywhere from 40-60L for example?
The Cabela's boundary waters duffel is rectangular. A 12x12x24 rectangular bag will hold something like 35% more than a 12" round by 24" long duffel.

It also stays put when you put it on the bike and doesn't try to roll off.

Easy to get inside, the compression straps on the bag are extra long so you can use them to strap another bag or chair to the bag itself.

I own two, a 12x12x24 and a 14x14x28. Never used the latter, bought it in order to have some stuff of mine transported to burning man for me on a semi we had going there but I ended up just carrying everything with me on the bike in the smaller duffel.

If you want it lemme know.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote