Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
VMS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
2011 vs. 2012 VSTROM

Hi,

I am new to the forum, and somewhat new to adventure riding and MC riding. I used to have dirtbikes into my late teens (Yamaha MX175 was my last one).

So now I have been trying to find the right ride for myself as an adult to do a variety of things including: highway/suburban commuting, weekend joy rides, some trail riding, and eventually some distance touring.

I am partial to upright riding, enduros and not having a machine that is overwhelmingly powerful.

The bikes I've considered are: KLR650, Versys, F800GS, and the VSTROM. I have not ridden any of them.

Based on common sense, my priorities, and what I know, I have narrowed it down to the VSTROM.

So here comes the noobie question of the day:

If you could get a brand new 2011 Vstrom ABS for $8K out the door including all taxes, fees, etc. would you wait for the 2012 at full retail?

(Yes, I know what all the differences are supposed to be for 2012, but I don't know how to gauge the importance of them relative to the additional cost that I am assuming to be around $2K out the door.)

Thanks,

VMS
VMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 464
Food for thought.............

1. are the 2012 models really $2000 more OTD............maybe only if you add the bags, bars, and other options??
2. as alot of folks say "who knows what gremlins reside inside a new model"???
3. how will the aftermarket list of farkles be effected..........will they have to re-tool to make new skidplates, bars, racks, etc........?? (consider electrical changes also.......example: will Eastern Beaver have to come up with a new wiring harness for the XXX gadget??) From the photos, it appears the 2012 model might be able to use most existing farkles...........
4. do you consider "re-sale" value when you purchase a bike...........I don't. I plan on keeping it till it dies or I get bored with it..........some owners trade mounts every other year. Insurance premiums.........cheaper for a 2011 model??

Just throwing thoughts out there..........
Moto-Kafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
I don't know how the price tag will change!

I was in a similar situation last year on the 2010 renewed Versys model (probably would go for a 2012 V-Strom if they had lauched at the same time)

I ended up with the newer model.

Mostly because resales value will be a major factor even if OTD prices are similar.

On your case... Come on... 2012 IS SO SO SO gorgeous...!!!

(I know I know... when you sit on it you can't tell the difference but, then again, when you get off, you will )
Dust_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
VMS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
1. are the 2012 models really $2000 more OTD............maybe only if you add the bags, bars, and other options??
2. as alot of folks say "who knows what gremlins reside inside a new model"???
3. how will the aftermarket list of farkles be effected..........will they have to re-tool to make new skidplates, bars, racks, etc........?? (consider electrical changes also.......example: will Eastern Beaver have to come up with a new wiring harness for the XXX gadget??) From the photos, it appears the 2012 model might be able to use most existing farkles...........
4. do you consider "re-sale" value when you purchase a bike...........I don't. I plan on keeping it till it dies or I get bored with it..........some owners trade mounts every other year. Insurance premiums.........cheaper for a 2011 model??

Just throwing thoughts out there..........
1. In there lies the rub. I am assuming that I am getting a good deal on a new ABS 2011 out the door for $8K (indluding taxes, and destination fees), which translates into a bike cost of about $7k. I have to assume that given the retail on the 2011 being around $8k (not out the door pricing), that the out the door price with the 2012 pricing will be north of $9K. No farkles on either.
2. I agree, and that is a factor that I haven't heard many people mention. I always like to not be the beta-tester for new models of cars and such. Given the changes are evolutionary, and not revolutionary, I am inclined to think this risk is lower than usual.
- enhanced ABS, Oil cooler, and enhanced seat are the biggies in my eyes. The engine re-tune with cams and gear change(?) is very intangible to me.
3. Since I don't have anything invested in farkles or electronics, the only annoyance w/ the 2012 is waiting for stuff to become available.
4. Yes, especially from a negotiations point of view. Ins cost needs more investigation.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
VMS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
I don't know how the price tag will change!

I was in a similar situation last year on the 2010 renewed Versys model (probably would go for a 2012 V-Strom if they had lauched at the same time)

I ended up with the newer model.

Mostly because resales value will be a major factor even if OTD prices are similar.

On your case... Come on... 2012 IS SO SO SO gorgeous...!!!

(I know I know... when you sit on it you can't tell the difference but, then again, when you get off, you will )
The appearance of the bike (within reason) is less of a concern for me.
I am more concerned about the added quality and functionality of the less visible changes.

So, hypothetically, and ignoring looks and resale, the question is: are the updates worth $2K from a functional point of view?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,101
Do it!

The 2012 is an unknown. It will probably be great but we can't be certain. The 2011 is a known bundle of pure perfection.I doubt the 2012 will be orders of magnitude better -to me the only difference would be the 'first one on the block' feeling that you would have the first year as us Classic Strom riders will be ogling your bike.

Probably can't go wrong either way but you can save some money & be riding sooner with the 2011.

Redne
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 276
Not to be argumentative particularly since the new bike hasn't been priced yet, but it looks like you are talking 8k out the door for the 2011 and around 9k out the door for the 2012 G-Strom. Maybe they will charge 8500 for the G-Strom, $500 in taxes and rape you for a couple hundred in fees so possibly a bit over 9k for the 2012.

Personally, for a grand I would go for the new G-Strom over the Wee. Sure there are risks with anything that has been updated and the Zuk warranty is for shit, but this is a refresh of a very reliable model and the engine updates come from a known source. Even without a refresh, a one year newer bike will have additional worth, but the G-Strom is going to have immediate additional value over the old model due to all of the changes. Of course monetary value isn't what it is all about and I think the new model is going to be a great update and worth a bit of a premium. If the price goes higher and it is truly more than a 2k price difference, then maybe you should start looking at your budget, how long you plan on owning the bike and then flip a coin.

Overall, my vote is to wait for the G-Strom.

Bart Simpson

bikefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
VMS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefree View Post
Not to be argumentative particularly since the new bike hasn't been priced yet, but it looks like you are talking 8k out the door for the 2011 and around 9k out the door for the 2012 G-Strom. Maybe they will charge 8500 for the G-Strom, $500 in taxes and rape you for a couple hundred in fees so possibly a bit over 9k for the 2012.

Personally, for a grand I would go for the new G-Strom over the Wee. Sure there are risks with anything that has been updated and the Zuk warranty is for shit, but this is a refresh of a very reliable model and the engine updates come from a known source. Even without a refresh, a one year newer bike will have additional worth, but the G-Strom is going to have immediate additional value over the old model due to all of the changes. Of course monetary value isn't what it is all about and I think the new model is going to be a great update and worth a bit of a premium. If the price goes higher and it is truly more than a 2k price difference, then maybe you should start looking at your budget, how long you plan on owning the bike and then flip a coin.

Overall, my vote is to wait for the G-Strom.
You get it. so, what of the updates for the 2012 (that aren't cosmetic) do you value most from a functional point of view? This is where knowing what the changes and having past experience with the bike and its weaknesses is what I guess it all comes down to. $2k may be an overestimate. I assume they are going to raise the retail price by $500, and I am not gonna get a deal on one for the first model year. I assume that the delta in the pricing I could get on the 2011 vs. 2012 will be between $1.5- 2K. You are right, the worth is only a quantitative way to easily ask the question on the perceived value of the updates for 2012 based on experienced vstrom owners history with the things they changed.

thanks to all.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
I'm not sure that $8k OTD is such a great deal on the 2011, given that the MSRP is $8099. Hard to say for sure without knowing what your taxes and fees are, but seems like only about $500 off MSRP? You could probably find that same deal on the 2012 when it comes (i.e. $500 off MSRP, whatever that turns out to be). Or alternatively, wait till the 2012's get here and get an even bigger discount off a 2011...

Trevor
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
VMS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I'm not sure that $8k OTD is such a great deal on the 2011, given that the MSRP is $8099. Hard to say for sure without knowing what your taxes and fees are, but seems like only about $500 off MSRP? You could probably find that same deal on the 2012 when it comes (i.e. $500 off MSRP, whatever that turns out to be). Or alternatively, wait till the 2012's get here and get an even bigger discount off a 2011...

Trevor
Taxes are about $600, Dealer + destination is about $500 (wich sounds like BS), so the price is below $7K, which is below invoice by a little.

I assume the 2012s will show up some time in August. You bring up a good point though: What is a good price on a new 2011 Vstrom w/ ABS? How low can they go once the 2012s show up?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMS View Post
You get it. so, what of the updates for the 2012 (that aren't cosmetic) do you value most from a functional point of view? This is where knowing what the changes and having past experience with the bike and its weaknesses is what I guess it all comes down to. $2k may be an overestimate. I assume they are going to raise the retail price by $500, and I am not gonna get a deal on one for the first model year. I assume that the delta in the pricing I could get on the 2011 vs. 2012 will be between $1.5- 2K. You are right, the worth is only a quantitative way to easily ask the question on the perceived value of the updates for 2012 based on experienced vstrom owners history with the things they changed.

thanks to all.
This is all conjecture, but if Suzuki did what they said promised then:

-Buffeting fix - worth 1-$250 to fix on the old model
-Looks - I like the old strom, but this one looks better
-Higher 6th gear. I don't have a problem with the engine size on the Wee, but I would love for the motor to work a bit less hard while on the highway. This would be a big plus for me.
-Improved fuel economy - I'm a commuter so this is important
-More comfortable seat - priceless
-Perhaps a bit more power from the Gladius engine
-The new model will be worth more as soon as you take it off the showroom floor

Drawbacks of the 2012 G-Strom
-Could have to wait or pay more for farkles if the old ones don't fit
-Slightly smaller tank - 2 liters really isn't a big deal
-The term Glee-Strom could become popular and you would have a motorcycle nicknamed after a high school Glee Club tv show. Perhaps owners would be called Gleeks.

Bart Simpson

bikefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMS View Post
Taxes are about $600, Dealer + destination is about $500 (wich sounds like BS), so the price is below $7K, which is below invoice by a little.

I assume the 2012s will show up some time in August. You bring up a good point though: What is a good price on a new 2011 Vstrom w/ ABS? How low can they go once the 2012s show up?
If I were you I'd keep shopping around - the price of the 2011's is only going to be getting cheaper as the launch of the new version gets closer. That all depends on availability of course - if there are no leftovers then you'll be out of luck. There usually would be some though, especially now with a lot of would-be Wee buyers holding off for the new one.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,505
I love my wee, and think the new one looks cool.....but after drooling over a Triumph Tiger 800 the other night, I know what I would be out test riding

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
I'd get a new one, 2012.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Do you want to wait until November at the earliest, or start riding now?

Likely to be better deals on moving the 2011s now that the 2012 is official.