User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Skidude OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Caribou Top Box

Does anybody have a 34L Caribou Case Top Box ?? I have the side boxes and they work great . I just received my new top box and mounted it to my Wee and I'm not real wild about the way the box is secured to the mounting plate.There are four pins that secure the box to the plate with a quarter rotation.It takes a lot of fussing for me to get the pins to secure. I have been in touch with Roger from Caribou, and he's all over it and very helpful,however it is frustrating.Does anyone else have this problem ???
Skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
SZRimaging
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude View Post
Does anybody have a 34L Caribou Case Top Box ?? I have the side boxes and they work great . I just received my new top box and mounted it to my Wee and I'm not real wild about the way the box is secured to the mounting plate.There are four pins that secure the box to the plate with a quarter rotation.It takes a lot of fussing for me to get the pins to secure. I have been in touch with Roger from Caribou, and he's all over it and very helpful,however it is frustrating.Does anyone else have this problem ???
Don't have it with mine. Been running it for about a year now on the back of my Versys, and did a couple of small trips with the thing loaded completely full. Not one problem at all. I love it.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
ewbutler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I've had mine for about 8 months and haven't had any problems. I do occasionally have to fiddle with the pins but IIRC it's a matter of remembering to turn them counter clockwise to lock them in.
ewbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude View Post

I have one on my 650 and just leave it on becasue I always have storage. I take it into the motel at night tho most of the time to unpack. It went on easy and is stable.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Im gonna give a bump to this. Are you guys still liking your top box? Anything you would do different? Do you have to reach inside the box to unlock them? Is the base plate that comes with the bike really sturdy? How is it for the passenger to lean on?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
I have one on my DL650 and have travelled about 13000 miles with it without a problem. You can put a stick LED light on the inside cover for looking for stuff at night. Great to carry into the motel at night. I put a small duffle on top of it for longer trips.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thumb Heavy

I've got one mounted on a F650GS and it works fine, just a pity it's so heavy. I decided on this unit as a secure place to store things easily damaged and or attractive to light fingered types. Would have given it a 100% rating if not for the weight. The mounting pins can be a bit fiddly but I don't remove it too often.

RDT953 screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 11:37 PM Reason: fix sentence
RDT953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
I've got one mounted on a F650GS and it works fine, just a pity it's so heavy. I decided on this unit as a secure place to store things easily damaged and or attractive to light fingered types. Would have given it a 100% rating if not for the weight. The mounting pins can be a bit fiddly but I don't remove it too often.
He said mine is less than 10 pounds with brackets, top plate, etc. that doesn't seem terrible. Are any others a lot lighter?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
fbj913
I ride

Got mine installed on my Tiger last night. So far so good.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Got mine installed on my Tiger last night. So far so good.

Hmm. I just installed a 25l box on my Tiger yesterday. The aluminum QR thingy's don't stick up as far as yours. They're should fit flush with the plate. I can take a pic. tomorrow if you like.

Unlike the OP, I actually felt like the pins fit a little too easy. The box feels snug. I don't think it's going anywhere, but it didn't take much to turn the pins.

Great product. I'm happy.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Very happy with mine. On for almost a year now and no issues. Very secure. Mounting method does not take up any space within the box unlike other methods.
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Hmm. I just installed a 25l box on my Tiger yesterday. The aluminum QR thingy's don't stick up as far as yours. They're should fit flush with the plate. I can take a pic. tomorrow if you like.

Unlike the OP, I actually felt like the pins fit a little too easy. The box feels snug. I don't think it's going anywhere, but it didn't take much to turn the pins.

Great product. I'm happy.
because of the mounting position on the bike and where the brackets fit on the plate you have to run a little spacer on the bottom of the brackets for this set up. you can see the bolt under the bracket on the last pic. its the bolt closest to the seat.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
because of the mounting position on the bike and where the brackets fit on the plate you have to run a little spacer on the bottom of the brackets for this set up. you can see the bolt under the bracket on the last pic. its the bolt closest to the seat.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

that's not the same top box. the mounting position is different with different boxes... notice how your mounting plates are more towards the outside.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
fbj913
I ride

does anyone know of a caribou side case thread? maybe this one could just be called the caribou luggage thread??