Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann View Post
Thanks BajaRat! I just ordered a pair in size 43. Great deal, if it all works out ok. Cost me $391 with today's exchange rate, saving me $234 over Stateside. Keeping my fingers crossed that DHL doesn't spring any surprise charges on me, though consensus seems to think they won't.
How did this work out? Were they delivered ok without the extra charges? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on them.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
DLH
Lurch the Lurker

Oddometer: 58
Great Deal!!!

Timely Info!
I was looking for a new pair of riding boots and really liked the Sidi Adventure GoreTex--until I saw the price being asked here in the states.
Ended up ordering a pair from FC-Moto.de and had them shipped via DHL. Only paid for product and shipping--no duties or taxes. Quick shipment and e-mails letting me know status.
$387.00 OTD
Love this site...thanks for the info!!!
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
dmann - what was your final price?

How did it work out dmann. did you get any follow up bills for taxes or misc expenses on the boots
Old 11-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
Orangeshirtdude
Fight the Power Commander

Oddometer: 65
I had to write UPS a check for $44 at the time of delivery. Getting the boots to my door from the UK cost around $500 total. Still cheaper than $650 here domestically.
Orangeshirtdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Look north, Dualsport Plus has them $489.99 CDN OTD http://www.dualsportplus.com/boots.html.

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #21
douglasgraham
This is my car

Oddometer: 298
Why Waist Money on Gore tex?

Ive got the version without the gore and my feet have never been wet. They are 100% water proof. The boots have been tested with a lot of rain rides, creek crossings and snow. Explain to me how gore tex works with leather anyway I see how it works with a textile but leather?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #22
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Ive got the version without the gore and my feet have never been wet. They are 100% water proof. The boots have been tested with a lot of rain rides, creek crossings and snow. Explain to me how gore tex works with leather anyway I see how it works with a textile but leather?
your experience, unfortunately, is not consitent with others who have posted in other threads. They reported wet feet from extended wet weather riding. What dont you understand about goretex and leather? Leather is a breathable material just like textile, it has pores that allow moisture transfer in both directions..just like textile.. the goretex blocks that transmition in one direction,, just like it does in textile. Do you think that leather is nonporous?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
douglasgraham
This is my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Do you think that leather is nonporous?
I think you meant to say fortunately for you your feet dont get wet. Its the guy with wet feet that is the unfortunate one! Yes I do think leather for the most part is nonporous. Thats why my boots are waterproof! I use "Snoseal" and melt it in with a hair dryer. I put in over 20000 miles last year and a lot of extended rain and Ive never had wet feet. I guess if your just pulling them out of the box and wearing without any prep then maybe they would leak but again Ive never had wet feet and yes leather breaths but not at the same rate as textile.......not even close.

douglasgraham screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 01:42 PM
douglasgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #24
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
The wasted money isn't on the Gore-tex. It is the fees,taxes and tariffs,import duty etc that cause them to cost so much more.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
douglasgraham
This is my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
The wasted money isn't on the Gore-tex. It is the fees,taxes and tariffs,import duty etc that cause them to cost so much more.
Yes yes I know. But even if you wanted to have them shipped over seas and pay all the fees when you can buy them here my point was.
Adventure Gore-Tex Retail Price $650.00
Adventure without the Gore-Tex Retail Price $400.00

Looks like about 250 to me.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #26
rritterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I ordered from fc-moto on 10/7. Insisted on DHL shipping after reading this thread and paid $362. Boots arrived today, no customs duties or taxes to pay. My credit card did charge me a currency conversion fee, but it was only about $8, much less than the $300 I'd have to pay to buy the boots state side.
rritterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #27
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Yes yes I know. But even if you wanted to have them shipped over seas and pay all the fees when you can buy them here my point was.
Adventure Gore-Tex Retail Price $650.00
Adventure without the Gore-Tex Retail Price $400.00

Looks like about 250 to me.
You're right, it isn't worth $250 more for the Gore-tex version when you can buy it from overseas for less than the US Rain version.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #28
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
The Final Word

Bravo 'rriterson'.

I plan to do the exact same thing as you did. Get the Goretex from Germany at a price cheaper than the Non-goretex locally by specifying ship DHL. The only thing I need to do before ordering is figuring out my size. No dealers locally stock the Goretex or non goretex boot. Once I have a chance to try one of them on to determine my size, I'll be contacting Germany the next day. Even at $340 for the Goretex, it's still to much money to not be 100% certain that I am ordering the correct size.

In my mind, this should take care of any future discussion that has taken place on this page regardless of your opinion of gortex, leather, customs and taxes. The Final Word...I hope
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
I've got the US version and they have not let water in, albeit in limited wet weather testing. I am totally happy with them.

That being said, I would absolutely get the GoreTex version if it was the same price or less than say $50 more. GoreTex is a known quantity and you can have leather instead of Lorica. It may not actually perform better, but I would be more comfortable getting products I know. When I bought mine, ordering from Europe was still barely tested. But if I was going to do it again today, I would be comfortable buy the GT version from Europe - especially since now the price is basically a wash.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
rritterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardroadking View Post
Bravo 'rriterson'.

I plan to do the exact same thing as you did. Get the Goretex from Germany at a price cheaper than the Non-goretex locally by specifying ship DHL. The only thing I need to do before ordering is figuring out my size. No dealers locally stock the Goretex or non goretex boot. Once I have a chance to try one of them on to determine my size, I'll be contacting Germany the next day. Even at $340 for the Goretex, it's still to much money to not be 100% certain that I am ordering the correct size.
I ordered a 46, which is marked as a USA 11.5. I found it good for my narrow feet, but still a bit long for my normal size 12 USA. The toe box is a little roomy, but my heels don't slip, so it's fine. The buckles have a lot of adjustment, and I was able to get them to fit just right. If you know your normal european size, I would guess you could get that and find a buckle setting that would make you happy, just in case you can't find one to try on around here.
rritterson is offline   Reply With Quote