User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Victoria To The Okanagan

Last on the ferry by the skin of my teeth! theres always room for a bike.

I will always remember the big long trains in Prince George. I kind of miss watching them.
A quick stop near Herrling Island on the muddy banks of the Fraser River. A day and a half earlier there was a massive mudslide near here. They say it was 40 meters wide by 15 meters high, and closed the highway in both directions, and the railway tracks too. Only one car was involved, and they were lucky enough to escape. I passed by the site on Highway 1 where it happened, there were 10 foot tall boulders on the meridian and new creeks everywhere. I didnt really want to stop for a photo of this!
Heading into Manning Park. Sorry, The mountain roads were way too fun to stop for photos! maybe next time.
A little dryer on the other side of the pass

Cherry crates everywhere! The south okanagan is a huge source of fruit. It is amazing that so much can grow in such a dry environment.
Spotted Lake. This is a small salt lake near Osooyoos BC.

My camping spot for the night above Osooyoos. It worked out great, because there was a fireworks show that evening for Canada Day!

If only it wasn't fenced off!

These guys are everywhere in the okanagan. Watch out on the dirt roads.

South of Hedley. there is some dualsport trails that bypass most of highway 3 out here, if i have a partner with me, ill try it someday.
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Great stuff bro'

Man, BC really has the best riding and scenery in Canada

Nice to finally have the means to get off the island, eh?
Looks like you've got your luggage nice n' compact.

So did those fireworks wake you up, that must have been a surprise!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 01:11 PM
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,442
Great stuff!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Nice! Love the photo's.
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Now earlier in the day, i repaired a pinch flat that happened up that dirt road. i patched it, and was fine till about 10km past that bridge.....then it failed! now im patching it a second time, while fighting holiday traffic on 4 feet of shoulder!
Stoppage tally, 2 cars, 1 cop, 1 first responder, and 1 motorcyclist. one person almost got rear ended slowing down to see if i was alright. the tires were asmokin! "So did yer back wheel fall off??? jeez! I suppose there are worse places to have a flat though.

By this point i realize how much patches suck in the heat! Now i should mention that i always always ALWAYS carry a spare tube, and have NEVER had a flat! this time i didnt have one because i gave my last one away to a buddy in a separate tire emergency, and neglected to replace it before the long weekend.
In Princeton, i noticed the repair was still leaking air, so i went to Lordco, bought some slime, and filled my tire with it. It seemed to be holding now, so i went for it, wanting to be home before monday. I pulled over one last time to check the pressure, and it seemed fine. I signalled right, waited 5 minutes for a decent gap in the camper traffic, accelerated, and whflumph, dead flat again!!!!!
I drew a "Need Tube" sign in grease with my fingers on a piece of cardboard and sat 10 clicks up the hill from princeton hoping for the best. About an hour later, some fellow dual sporters, a couple from Vancouver, stopped to see if they could help. buddy had a spare tube, although, 1 inch too small, which i gladly payed him for. we stuffed it in, pumped her up, and it wouldn't hold air!!!!!! I wont say who pinched the tube, but next time im doing it myself!! Another patch on the new tube, and i cautiously pumped it up. it seemed good, but i was staying put for a bit just to make sure. i still wouldn't have made it out without those two,so thank you, Roman, was it? and also, many thanks to Mike from Langley on the Suzuki who also went back into town to try and scrounge up a tube, and was nice enough to buy a patch kit just in case! good Karma on all of you! I will always look out for my fellow biker on the road.
I crawled my way up to Manning Park, paranoid about my patched tube, and stuck to the shoulder for the first hour. i was not taking chances on this road. I slowly rebuilt confidence in the repair and checked it every 50 k or so. My goal at this point was to get to Hope. there was still snow on the top of the pass, and i really didn't want to be up there!

The Hope Slide rest stop. this pic does not do justice to the massive scale of rock that came down here! it came down one side, turned 120 degrees, and came up the side of the mountain closest to me! what a site that must have been.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

So i made it all the way to Chilliwack where i stealth camped in a freshly cut field. this was the sight at 530 AM. ive never been this hasty picking a spot before! i was so beat last night, i was out like a light, and never slept better!
There was even air in the tire!
IMG_6856

Thank God I made it! Now i just gotta make it to the ferry. there are no tubes to be had this early.
IMG_6859

Last On Again! I almost didnt make it, as i did the classic miss Ladner Trunk, and end up on 99 North to Downtown mistake! theres no getting off that road till richmond! so i got to go through a cool tunnel twice, and got on the boat. 20kph max.. pfff!!!!! when they say hurry at the booth they mean it!
IMG_6862

All in all, it was a very fun experience, and i learned alot about longer trips on a little 400. I did about 1200Km in 3 days. it did well, aside from the gearing being a bit short for the road.
Im loving this kind of mobility. Ive had it for just over 3 months now, and this is my first vehicle. I hope to get out a few more times this summer, ill be bring my camera for sure! theres alot to see out there.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Cool camping setup you've got, nice to find a tent without LOUD colours. Good call on the bike cover too. Is it camo?

So how fast does the bike go now that you've calibrated the spedometer?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Cool camping setup you've got, nice to find a tent without LOUD colours. Good call on the bike cover too. Is it camo?

So how fast does the bike go now that you've calibrated the spedometer?
Mom is gonna s#lT! ive had it hit 159kph, which is probably closer to 145, because on DRZ's theyre wacked no matter what you do. strangely, the trip meter actually registers lower than you have gone.

The cover is actually for a quad, but i picked it up from wal-mart for $30. The tent is a seedhouse SL2, 3.7lbs and is paper thin! probably not great for longevity, but i originally got it for cycle touring, and it has been real good to me. Colour was what made the sale for sure! it is identical in colour to the sagebrush. its a bit light for the rain forest.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oh, just wanted to spread the word about this, since it's more or less in your neighbourhood: Check it out if you ever want to ride the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705084

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

New RR soon! Van Isle!

New ride report coming soon, The backwoods of the cowichan valley, and a Meet and Greet with Charlie Boorman and Russ from Long way Round. Also, part of a large group ride from Duncan to Tofino lead by Charlie!