User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Quinny93 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New GS 800

First ride was great.....New to the Adventure riding though.

What is a good all around tire pressure for the dirt that will work for the street??

What is the quick fix for the front forks being to soft, I am a large frame around 250#
Quinny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,473
try search. But before that fill out that profile noob.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Best to keep it within the recommendations of what's under the seat. Big guy + low tire pressure = bent up rims.

My 800 is ridden mostly off road, not just dirt roads, single track, rocky power lines, muddy hills. Some on Perelli Scorpions. I've never aired down, the risks (pinch flats) outweigh what benefits you'll think you'll get.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70East View Post
Best to keep it within the recommendations of what's under the seat. Big guy + low tire pressure = bent up rims.

My 800 is ridden mostly off road, not just dirt roads, single track, rocky power lines, muddy hills. Some on Perelli Scorpions. I've never aired down, the risks (pinch flats) outweigh what benefits you'll think you'll get.
Hey East. Load up a set of ultra heavy duty tubes and drop the front down to 18 and the rear to 16 when you're off-road. You will experience a whole new dimension of traction. The fat pig will practically glue to the dirt, and she'll keep her shoes on just fine.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Hey East. Load up a set of ultra heavy duty tubes and drop the front down to 18 .
If you're running stock fork valving, you WILL bend your rim with that pressure.

If you disagree, you're not riding hard enough.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
If you're running stock fork valving, you WILL bend your rim with that pressure.

If you disagree, you're not riding hard enough.
You are right about the stock valving. I only did 120 miles on the bike since Sunday, ( I picked my 800 up on Saturday), and already see the weakness in the suspension. I'm considering swapping out for a set of 4860's off a 2009 KTM. It's an easy swap for me. Others have done it too. As for dings and bent rims; that's what keeps Woodys and Buchanan's on my short list. I'm on my 2nd set for my KTM 690. Better to bend or ding a rim than to crash from over pressure on the trails.

As for the OP, experiment with a few different pressures for each type of riding you'll do. I know a few guys who air up to the max both on and off-road. Full drifts on every corner. It's like riding on ice. Me, I enjoy traction everywhere I can get it.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,627
This thread has a links to a number of the old "How To" threads that you might find useful. There are a number of suspension threads from some of the original experimentation back in '09 and '10.

Put me down on the "full pressure" crowd. Since most of my riding on fast gravel roads, I'm more worried about pinch flats from the occasional rock or cattle gaurd than getting the last little bit of traction from my tire.

O yeah, almost forgot, if you fill out your info like Loutre said, its almost like introducing yourself to the folks on the forum.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Fearless Whetu
Aussie Kiwi

Oddometer: 241
28 - 32 psi is a good pressure that works well on road and is ok off road. Like others have said ideally you would have lower pressure off road (I might go 20- 24psi) but you will eventually bend a rim - still not the end of the world but annoying.

The pressure thing is a bit like the tyre thing… or oil…. peoples opinions will vary. Try various pressures out and see what suits your riding best.

In regards to springs there are a few good options available : The Touratech cartridges, Ohlins cartridges and by far the cheapest option is progressive springs with Hyper Pro being one proven example. Its a solid bike and I hope you enjoy
Old 12-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Hey East. Load up a set of ultra heavy duty tubes and drop the front down to 18 and the rear to 16 when you're off-road. You will experience a whole new dimension of traction. The fat pig will practically glue to the dirt, and she'll keep her shoes on just fine.
I've looked for a ultra heavy duty 17" tube and can't find one. No dealer around me has them. Back in my lighter days, both bike and body, I would air down, but now I've seen no need. The one time I wish I had, we were playing around in a grass field in the rain and it was slicker then snot. But I had no pump with me and I had 90 miles of interstate to get home.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
DustyDoug
DustyDoug

Oddometer: 36
Fork quick fix?

The fork is terribly under sprung, the fix is heavy springs.
Springs are easy to swap out so there is your quick fix.