Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #331
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
I know a few months back "C5!" purchased a Compufire 55402 and installed one after his third stator.
I PM'd him and he is still running it with no noise issues and the stator seems to be holding up under normal use for a couple of months with the Compufire.
I am going to take the stock stator off and RR and just go ahead and try the aftermarket stator and Compufire Series RR on my 5,000 mile trip I got planned in late May.I will carry the old rewound stator and stock RR for a back up just in case.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #332
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
I know a few months back "C5!" purchased a Compufire 55402 and installed one after his third stator.
I PM'd him and he is still running it with no noise issues and the stator seems to be holding up under normal use for a couple of months with the Compufire.
I am going to take the stock stator off and RR and just go ahead and try the aftermarket stator and Compufire Series RR on my 5,000 mile trip I got planned in late May.I will carry the old rewound stator and stock RR for a back up just in case.
sup looking forward to the report
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #333
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,134
Found this on eBay ....
Regulator pulled from BMW S1000RR....
It has a familiar P/N: FH012 (see other pics........)

www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-S1000RR-S1000-RR-Voltage-Regulator-OV3-/130572821256

Maybe our fears of using a series style regulator on CANBUS are unfounded?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #334
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Good to hear that!

One other thing to mention is that the Compufire comes with a set of Delphi Weather-pack (Delphi?) connectors. Those are only rated for 20 amps, so if you plan on getting rid of the stock connector I would upgrade them.

A very nice alternative that is also sealed is the Metri-Pack 630, rated for 48 amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Found this on eBay ....
Regulator pulled from BMW S1000RR....
It has a familiar P/N: FH012 (see other pics........)

www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-S1000RR-S1000-RR-Voltage-Regulator-OV3-/130572821256

Maybe our fears of using a series style regulator on CANBUS are unfounded?
This one is NOT series, it's just the MOSFET based Shindengen shunt R/R, same as Ebrabaek is using is other thread.

LukasM screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 02:04 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #335
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
... This one is NOT series, it's just the MOSFET based Shindengen shunt R/R, same as Ebrabaek is using is other thread.
Dang it.... my beer confused me.... thanks for setting me straight....
Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #336
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 264
About 4k miles ago or Feb. 12 to be precise, I replaced my BMW stator with an Electrosport Stator. Life was good. I have a voltage monitor from Twisted Throttle; RED - less than 11.5 volts, AMBER - 11.9 to 11.5 volts, and GREEN - 12 volts +.

When I first installed the Electrosport I would get Green at idle. Last couple of mornings on start up I would have a Red light until the rpm's were above about 2500. Today riding home from work at 75mph ~ 5K I had a flashing Red which I take to mean zero stator output.

Tomorrow I will test the stator as listed in other threads. I am hugely bummed.

I have not yet had the OEM stator re-wound. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in Las Vegas, NV.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #337
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuda View Post
About 4k miles ago or Feb. 12 to be precise, I replaced my BMW stator with an Electrosport Stator. Life was good. I have a voltage monitor from Twisted Throttle; RED - less than 11.5 volts, AMBER - 11.9 to 11.5 volts, and GREEN - 12 volts +.

When I first installed the Electrosport I would get Green at idle. Last couple of mornings on start up I would have a Red light until the rpm's were above about 2500. Today riding home from work at 75mph ~ 5K I had a flashing Red which I take to mean zero stator output.

Tomorrow I will test the stator as listed in other threads. I am hugely bummed.

I have not yet had the OEM stator re-wound. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in Las Vegas, NV.
I would call Electrosport ... see what they have to say!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #338
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

You need to send the stock stator out to Ricky Stator.
http://www.rickystator.com/

Make sure they put high quality epoxy dip to prevent vibrations shorting.
I have seen the aftermarket stators coming off with super thin clear coatings that I don't think will hold up long term from vibrations.

Any experts like to comment on why they are running without the thicker dips? Stator cooling is better with a thin coating but at what cost?

I will also be testing a Compufire 55402 series RR for 5,000 mile trip and will report in here with the results in early June.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 05:23 AM
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #339
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Note that Joel has measured stator temperatures approaching 200C.
Some stator insulation is not rated for those temps....
I think much of the off-the-shelf stuff is only rated for 180C?

I've not heard back from electrosport lately, but they are working on a design for our application...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #340
mapuda
Crash Tested

Thanks for the feedback. I will contact RickyStator to get my stator rewound. I found this company that sells 3 phase series rectifiers. http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html

Anyone try them? I definitely want to replace the rectifier as I am convinced it causes the stator to run too hot.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #341
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
This is another source for rewound stators:
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuda View Post
I found this company that sells 3 phase series rectifiers. http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html

Anyone try them? I definitely want to replace the rectifier as I am convinced it causes the stator to run too hot.
Read on another forum that this is not actually a series regulator but a shunt one, buyer beware...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #342
C5! OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Good to hear that!

One other thing to mention is that the Compufire comes with a set of Delphi Weather-pack (Delphi?) connectors. Those are only rated for 20 amps, so if you plan on getting rid of the stock connector I would upgrade them.
Gee... I thought that thread was dead !
As Indy mentioned , I have installed the compufire rectifier with the rewound stator, post 252 page 17, and everything runs fine so far, although I was travelling and didn't put that much miles on it. I am now back in SA so we'll see what happens.
The only issues I have had are: they indeed ship a set of connectors, but in my case, bad luck, they were both of the same sex, don't remember male-male or female-female but I had to make the connection with the OEM connector, but no big deal. the other issue was with the voltage LED indicator which suddenly died on me. Caused a bit of stress when it happened because I was thinking that it was the stator again, but no it was only the LED, just received the new one under guarantee from the UK, nice guys !!
so, so far, compufire no issue...
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #343
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks C5! just keep us in the loop as to how well it is lasting as you get more miles on the road.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #344
mapuda
Crash Tested

I called Ricky Stator and they don't want to rewind my "Street" stator. I ordered a new one from Rick's Motorsport Electrics. I will send them my OEM to rewind.

I ordered a Shindengen "Complete" kit from this site as they add the Furukawa connectors. It says FH012AA but I have read that the 12's are out of stock and am hoping this will be shipped as a FH020AA.

Lot's of wrenching this weekend as I also have new chain and sprockets coming from Sprocket Center and a new cam chain, tensioners and gasket set coming from Max BMW.

Hopefully this will put me right for the next 40K miles.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #345
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Quote form Lukas M many pages ago:

I have talked to Rick's (Motorsport electrics), and so has somebody else on F800riders. They are willing to do it and would simply copy the stock configuration. I think it's $145 which includes return shipping:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...sed-Durability