Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #466
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
hardbern:
Thanks for alerting us!

I don't quite understand the source of the pressurized oil which they are feeding into the stator cavity...
Have you had a look a what they are doing?

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #467
hardbern
n00b

Oddometer: 4
drilling for oil

Yeah, that is what I am curious about too. That picture shows a relief cavity with a pin hole right in the "miissing spline" part of the crank spline interface (I don't know if the Beemer crank-rotor spline has a similar locating scheme). My theory is that it somehow would see bleed-off oil from the crank bearing right inboard of it - ??. I guess I will have to take it apart to find out.

I was going to wait to take it apart before even posting, thus avoiding giving folks a false hope, but now I have to follow through I guess...

then I will let everyone know what I find
hardbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #468
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbern View Post
Yeah, that is what I am curious about too. That picture shows a relief cavity with a pin hole right in the "miissing spline" part of the crank spline interface (I don't know if the Beemer crank-rotor spline has a similar locating scheme). My theory is that it somehow would see bleed-off oil from the crank bearing right inboard of it - ??. I guess I will have to take it apart to find out.

I was going to wait to take it apart before even posting, thus avoiding giving folks a false hope, but now I have to follow through I guess...

Thanks for doing that!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if the new OEM flywheel from BMW has such a provision???
Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #469
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbern View Post

I was at the local BMW dealer last week and one of the mechanics there said he'd seen oil cooled designs in the past from a different brand of bike that were feed from they crankshaft oil supply..........
Old 07-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #470
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,578
Well, if we had an engineer that would sign off on the idea of diverting some oil from the crank to the stator, I'm sure many of us would be willing to try it. However, I don't think this is in the cards from BMW.

One of the nice things about being a small company is that Erik Buell may be willing to state that it would work and what size hole would be acceptable.

Personally, it will be interesting to see what happens to the bikes with the new open flywheel design and the modified R/R. Maybe this will be the tipping point needed.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #471
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Well, if we had an engineer that would sign off on the idea of diverting some oil from the crank to the stator, I'm sure many of us would be willing to try it. However, I don't think this is in the cards from BMW.

One of the nice things about being a small company is that Erik Buell may be willing to state that it would work and what size hole would be acceptable.

Personally, it will be interesting to see what happens to the bikes with the new open flywheel design and the modified R/R. Maybe this will be the tipping point needed.

David
My suspicion is that all three solutions will likely fix the stator heating issue...

The oil cooling has the possibility of compromising engine lubrication (will it ... I have no idea... but there's a chance).

The series style R/R has the possibility of pissing off the CANBus (will it ... I have no idea... but there's a chance).

The new open flywheel ... assuming it has the same moment of inertia is the least intrusive .... and naturally ... the most expensive ...
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #472
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
My suspicion is that all three solutions will likely fix the stator heating issue...

The oil cooling has the possibility of compromising engine lubrication (will it ... I have no idea... but there's a chance).

The series style R/R has the possibility of pissing off the CANBus (will it ... I have no idea... but there's a chance).

The new open flywheel ... assuming it has the same moment of inertia is the least intrusive .... and naturally ... the most expensive ...
Drilling the crank won't be cheap if you have to pull it out of the engine and send it to a machine shop.

Ebareak has a R/R working now, maybe not the right kind, but its working.

David
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #473
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Drilling the crank won't be cheap if you have to pull it out of the engine and send it to a machine shop.

David
David:
Did you see the pictures of the oil cooling modification ... It was a hole drilled in the flywheel...
No pulling of engine ...
The way Buell-guy is doing it is that he sends you a modified flywheel and you (core charge) send him your stock flywheel back upon installation of the modified unit.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #474
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

I did miss that.

On the F8GS what kind of bearing and/or seals are in the first bearing next to the flywheel?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #475
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I did miss that.

On the F8GS what kind of bearing and/or seals are in the first bearing next to the flywheel?
It's not clear to me ... what's behind the flywheel...
Another ADVRider inmate - hardbern - was going to pull his flywheel to see if he could figure out how this modification might work ... he has not posted back with the results yet....
The drilled hole in the flywheel appears rather small ... perhaps 1/16" diameter...
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #476
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:

David
Yeppers......
I have put another 500 miles or there about on it... In over 100 deg.F. Temps...... and it is performing flawlessly, and as noted in my R/R. thread....there is a link to the vendor that has them in stock.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #477
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Replacement stator by Electrosport will hit the street soon

Folks:

As some of you already know, I have been talking to Electrosport about the stator issues with our bikes and fed them the technical details of the issue some months back - I just got word from my contact there as to the results of the testing of their prototype replacement stator unit --- engineered to overcome the defects in the OEM unit. Here's what he says:

Testing went well and we're making a good sized (production) batch. We are hoping to have them available in a few weeks for regular sale. We changed the winding set up and a lowered internal resistance of the wire/winding which helps a lot in keeping the stator cooler.

Procom Engineering / ElectroSport
66 Maxwell, Irvine, CA 92618
PH: (949) 748-6338
www.electrosport.com
info (at) electrosport.com

I don't want to post his name here on open forum but he is the guy that answers queries to the e-mail address above... or you can PM me for his name. I'm just a bit nervous about posting it publicly. For those of us out of warranty, I think this could be a very good option ... prices are not available as yet, but should be less than $150 USD.

Jim

PS: Just for the record: I have no affiliation or financial relationship with Electrosport
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #478
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
As some of you already know, I have been talking to Electrosport about the stator issues with our bikes and fed them the technical details of the issue some months back - I just got word from my contact there as to the results of the testing of their prototype replacement stator unit...
Thanks for your work on this! Sounds like some good news. Look forward to more info.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #479
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Great work JRWooden! Should we organize a big group buy? I need one now.!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #480
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Great work JRWooden! Should we organize a big group buy? I need one now.!
Indy:
Below is the latest update, I posted it to the other threads, but not this one ... I can't keep all the threads straight

I will send an e-mail to my contact at Electrosport and ask if he can work some kind of deal with us for a group buy or a discount coupon or ..... something.

I am considering changing mine out even though it is still working ... as I know what kind of luck I have ... mine will knock off just as I finish exploring a ghost town 150 miles from anywhere with no cellphone reception... or just as I cross Donner Pass in a snowstorm...

I'll post the answer back when I get one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As some of you already know, I have been talking to Electrosport about the stator issues with our bikes and fed them the technical details of the issue some months back - I just got word from my contact there as to the results of the testing of their prototype replacement stator unit -- engineered to overcome the defects in the OEM unit. Here's what he says:

Testing went well and we're making a good sized (production) batch. We are hoping to have them available in a few weeks for regular sale. We changed the winding set up and a lowered internal resistance of the wire/winding which helps a lot in keeping the stator cooler.

Procom Engineering / ElectroSport
66 Maxwell, Irvine, CA 92618
PH: (949) 748-6338
www.electrosport.com
info (at) electrosport.com

I don't want to post his name here on open forum but he is the guy that answers queries to the e-mail address above... or you can PM me for his name. I'm just a bit nervous about posting it publicly. For those of us out of warranty, I think this could be a very good option ... prices are not available as yet, but should be less than $150 USD.

Jim

PS: Just for the record: I have no affiliation or financial relationship with Electrosport