Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #481
leadingedge
Trailing along...

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Testing went well and we're making a good sized (production) batch. We are hoping to have them available in a few weeks for regular sale. We changed the winding set up and a lowered internal resistance of the wire/winding which helps a lot in keeping the stator cooler.... prices are not available as yet, but should be less than $150 USD.
I reckon I would be keen to have one as a spare if the price is right! Let us know about the group buy...
leadingedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #482
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
Personally I will wait until some in field testing is accomplished..... The rr was easy..... But this will cost more, and take a little more time to rr. I am cautiously optimistic though

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #483
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
I don't want to be the doubter here but Electrosport has a very spotty track record as far as reliability is concerned.

The price seems very attractive but I would want to know exactly what they have done differently to assure that this will be better or at least on par with stock.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #484
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
I would be happy buying a stock stator if they did not cost $800.
Can anyone recommend a top quaity stator rebuild shop?
Will Electrosport epoxy dip the stator?
I dont trust stators without a stabilizing epoxy for longevity of the wires.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #485
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
I would be happy buying a stock stator if they did not cost $800.
Can anyone recommend a top quaity stator rebuild shop?
Will Electrosport epoxy dip the stator?
I dont trust stators without a stabilizing epoxy for longevity of the wires.
I've asked about dipping and also about a group buy or other similar option...
Will post back with answer when I get it!
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #486
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Here's what my buddy at Electrocoat says:

The stators have a powder coat like finish that goes over the poles where the winding will be. Its green-ish on our other parts, you can kinda of see it on this stator for example: http://www.electrosport.com/stator-3-phase.html

Then the wire is insulated and wrapped and then an final epoxy is applied to really cement all the winding in place. Hope that answers your question.

I dont have any plan for a group/bulk purchase option.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #487
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

I am willing to order 2 units now
Let us know when they will start taking orders.
Thanks JRWooden.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #488
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am willing to order 2 units now
Let us know when they will start taking orders.
Thanks JRWooden.
Although not open to group buy deal, I feel comfortable with what I understand the design to represent.
It may not in fact fix the problem, but as best I can tell they took all the data I sent them on the failed OEM design into account....

It would piss me off more than a little bit to be left stranded by the failed OEM stator ...
I'm likely to replace it sometime this winter...

I will post again as soon as I find out the part is open for sale!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #489
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

I don't mind replacing the stator every 30,000 miles. I just don't want to start a flywheel collection.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #490
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't mind replacing the stator every 30,000 miles. I just don't want to start a flywheel collection.
I share that thought...... I would like to have my motor last without breakage..... But honestly... If my stator will last to 50000.... that's not bad... imho. Hopefully The new flywheel/stator combo will be available at a somewhat lower price, as it should be closer to 500 or even 400..... Just my two cent's.

Erling
Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #491
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I share that thought...... I would like to have my motor last without breakage..... But honestly... If my stator will last to 50000.... that's not bad... imho. Hopefully The new flywheel/stator combo will be available at a somewhat lower price, as it should be closer to 500 or even 400..... Just my two cent's.
The fiche at MaxBMW now says for the assembly: 12317690427 was superseded by 12318524422 and the picture now looks like the new flywheel. Sticker price still $810 at this point

Someone was going to take a look at the oil-cooling modification ... where'd that end up?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #492
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The fiche at MaxBMW now says for the assembly: 12317690427 was superseded by 12318524422 and the picture now looks like the new flywheel. Sticker price still $810 at this point

Someone was going to take a look at the oil-cooling modification ... where'd that end up?
Yeppers.... 800 is simply too steep. I don't think bmw has any toes left to shoot off.... Clearly with an issue like this....it need's to be offered at a lower price. Grrrrrr... On a different tune. What I would like to know is this..... The ones with failed stators hear this...... Mileage, and what electrical equipment did you run...?????? Here is my thought.!! The more electrical load you impose...like vest....extra lights...etc.... the less of the "remaining energy" ie balance up to the 400 watts , need's to be dissipated in the stator, since it is now dissipated in the equipment.... Thus perhaps the stator is running just a bit cooler. Is this why some fail at 20000 miles....and other at twice that mileage?????? Just a thought.

Erling
Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #493
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Yeppers.... 800 is simply too steep. I don't think bmw has any toes left to shoot off.... Clearly with an issue like this....it need's to be offered at a lower price. Grrrrrr... On a different tune. What I would like to know is this..... The ones with failed stators hear this...... Mileage, and what electrical equipment did you run...?????? Here is my thought.!! The more electrical load you impose...like vest....extra lights...etc.... the less of the "remaining energy" ie balance up to the 400 watts , need's to be dissipated in the stator, since it is now dissipated in the equipment.... Thus perhaps the stator is running just a bit cooler. Is this why some fail at 20000 miles....and other at twice that mileage?????? Just a thought.
I run my Denali lights all the time. When traveling I alternate charging my gps and cell phone as well as run a 90W Warm and Safe liner in colder weather...No failures YET... knock on wood. edit.. heated grips too.

rockinrog screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 01:50 PM
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #494
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Erling:

I could well be wrong on this, but if I understand how the OEM R/R works --- the gear load would not make a difference...

The R/R "accepts" full output from the stator (based on RPM) all of the time and then divides the available output between bike+accy items and "the frame". So the stator does not know/can't tell if you have a heated vest on or not...it's making all the power it can make all of the time... the R/R then uses whatever it needs and dumps the rest to ground.... but ... again ... I may have this screwed up...

It would seem that folks that ride in colder environments, do mostly short trips, and keep low RPMs might have better life since those things would tend to keep the stator cooler either via cooler engine, less time to heat-soak the stator, and reduced available output from the stator respectively? .... just my half-assed thoughts... ?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #495
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Erling:

I could well be wrong on this, but if I understand how the OEM R/R works --- the gear load would not make a difference...

The R/R "accepts" full output from the stator (based on RPM) all of the time and then divides the available output between bike+accy items and "the frame". So the stator does not know/can't tell if you have a heated vest on or not...it's making all the power it can make all of the time... the R/R then uses whatever it needs and dumps the rest to ground.... but ... again ... I may have this screwed up...

It would seem that folks that ride in colder environments, do mostly short trips, and keep low RPMs might have better life since those things would tend to keep the stator cooler either via cooler engine, less time to heat-soak the stator, and reduced available output from the stator respectively? .... just my half-assed thoughts... ?
No...... Your correct.... Just one small point missing...... The r/r does the shunting on the ac side....ie dumps it through the stator. As the R/R is not grounded..... except through the negative battery terminal..... The only way it could shunt the current after rectification would be through shorting of the pos and neg line to the battery.... But yet again... I don't have the block diagram for this shendigan.... So in all honesty....I come to this conclusion walking in the darkness...with my eyes closed holding a cup of espresso...... I just don't see the path to ground on the dc side with out a dedicated gnd.... without taking the battery with it...... Someone......toss a block diagram of the r/r.....

Erling