User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #526
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 270
Tour under your F800 engine cover.

Due to beverages and boredom I took pictures while I was down on the floor....

in focus, that's a bonus. The BMW service manual calls the big gear the "freewheel gear". Next up to the right is the "intermediate gear" hidden behind the big thrust washer. this shaft fell out when i first took the cover off. then are more starter gears.

New rotor with big holes, six screws, and no place for a classic puller on the left. Bronze finished old rotor on the right, it would make a good ashtray. This side goes out, toward the world. The stator coils live inside normally.

The back side, toward the engine. I'm not sure which thing is the starter clutch, either this bearing inside the carrier bolted to the back of the rotor, or, the bearing thingy on the "freewheel gear". Which means, starter clutch problems, will require major engine surgery, like on this page.

Close up of the crankshaft position sensor. Yep in focus again.

As best I can figure, looking around close, this hole above the starter motor is where the oil gets into this side of the engine, for these gears, and maybe cooling? The hole might drain the valve cover area?

At the bottom of the case is another hole where the oil goes out, assuming normal gravity. the location of the scoop thing probably explains why all my oil leakage happened about 4oclock, on the engine cover, not before cocktail hour (it leaked all day). My exhaust pipes normally have the nice protective dust cover, the thick oil covering is fresh in the last 3000 miles.

Bonus, in focus. The gasket is much easier to remove when the rotor is out of the way. It was burnt in place in random spots and need lots of detail work. but it never stuck to the cover, only the engine side. There is goop from the gasket and burnt bits from the old stator, everywhere. An oil change is in order shortly.

Reassembly when i can locate the Loctite 648. Pictures of the TDC bolt, after that.

bobo

Bobo1167 screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 10:07 AM
Bobo1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #527
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Bobo:

THANKS ...
your detailed pictures show our bikes use a different flywheel than the what is pictured in the "oil cooling" modification to the Buell which was "supposed to" use the same flywheel as our bikes..... or so it was rumored...

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store...ification.html

It is similar, but theirs is splined where it meet the crankshaft ... and I can't figure out how that little hole would be exposed to oil and be able to feed it into the stator area ....

There is one image of the oiling system in the official BMW shop manual,
but it does not show how the flywheel side of the engine is lubricated.

Did you see any oiling "features" on the tapered end of the crankshaft where the flywheel sits?
It looks like the flywheel has a keyway machined into it, but I don't see a matching feature on the crankshaft ...
or is it just the angle from which the pictures are taken or is the keyway actually un-used?

JRWooden screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 05:35 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #528
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

There's a key in the keyway

Mostly in focus. The keyway has a key in it. in the reassembly instructions there's little said about the key except to make sure it's there. Definately there's a slot in the flywheel for it.

If your're thinking there's some more passages or squirters or sprayers to provide a flood of cooling oil, you'll be disapointed. You can see the horizontal split of the engine case, the crank runs through it. Besides that there's nothing on this side (not even a place to smuggle diamonds).

The Buell fix is similar but obviously a different part.

Probably illegally cut out of the service disc. BMW calls this "Oil system Functional views and overview"

The big oil passage that runs horizontally about through the middle of the engine is plugged on the right side by the cover. two things here.....1. if the upper portion of the cover is loose or damaged and that big oil passage can leak, a guy would probably loose all oil in a few seconds. 2. Rotax could have provided some small amount of cooling oil from this passage to inside the right cover.

Bobo1167 screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 09:57 AM
Bobo1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #529
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Bobo..... This is fantastic of you to cover this with pic's...... Thanks a whole lot.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #530
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo1167 View Post
... The Buell fix is similar but obviously a different part.
Thanks Bobo...
Yes ... I agree the Buell parts are materially different than our setup .... so I don't think the oil cooling will work ...

Let me add my thanks for your great pictures!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #531
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,138
You can add an 07 F800ST to the list. 34,900 miles crapped out on me today during the heat of the day during a 50 mile ride. Had to have a buddy come out with some jumper cables so I could limp her home.

jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #532
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

I got a gnome in my hand today

I'll bet i'm the only one on the lake with one of these......

the mystery glue that holds the engine together.

Stand back peeps, this cost me almost $30 delivered from Portland OR (150 miles away, it took 28 hours, UPS needs more motorcycle delivery men). But I have enough for the entire state of Washington, this month. I'll sell this little bottle to anyone for $20, after i squeeze 8 drops out.

OR, I was able to use old technology, the Bell Telephone, to call a nice man at the R.S. Hughes company, 877-774-8443. He set me up with manufacturer ID #21443. That is a 10ML bottle of this magic elixir, Loctite 648.

Re-assembly begins next Tuesday, August 14, when it seems nothing else of importance has ever happened.

bobo
Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #533
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Hey BoBo do you have the new part number for the new flywheel and stator?
I might as well order it since it looks difficult to drill our stock Flywheels to match the air flow holes they added to the new flywheel. Also Electrosport seems to be dragging their feet on making replacement stators.
Thanks.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #534
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
I might as well order it since it looks difficult to drill our stock Flywheels to match the air flow holes they added to the new flywheel. Also Electrosport seems to be dragging their feet on making replacement stators.
Thanks.
Hi Dan,

You need:

Generator assembly: 12 31 8 524 422
And probably a new gasket for the cover: 11 14 7 670 688

Cheers
L
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #535
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Thanks.
Indy:
I'm not trying to talk you out of the BMW version, but Electrosport started their production order several weeks ago.
I do not know what the ETA is for parts, but if you send an e-mail to: info (at) electrosport.com they can update you with current status. Price should be less than $150 USD

(For the record I have no affiliation with Electrosport)

JRWooden screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 06:22 AM
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #536
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

I was hoping for their solution but they are not taking orders and do not have a date when they will be taking orders.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #537
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I shot my contact an e-mail earlier today and got this reply:

No exact ETA yet, but we are getting closer to having them done.

(wattage) Output should be near stock, about 15% over is what its looking like our final model will come out at.

So ... might even get a few extra watts out of the Electrosport design ...
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #538
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I shot my contact an e-mail earlier today and got this reply:

No exact ETA yet, but we are getting closer to having them done.

(wattage) Output should be near stock, about 15% over is what its looking like our final model will come out at.

So ... might even get a few extra watts out of the Electrosport design ...
I would like for someone knowing more about this than I do.... To explain how this is not bad for the heat dissipation.... as we clearly have an issue here. I always thought that by lowering the out put... you could minimize the heat expenditure.....
With now 460 watt being produced.... how does this NOT increase the heat threshold????? On another note..... My mosfet r/r is fused at 30 amps. The mosfet is capable at 55 watts....so no issue there..... what is the stock rated at???? 460/13.81=33.31..... If it's a 30 amp unit.... then there are issues......

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 08:14 PM Reason: spelling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #539
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Hi Dan,

You need:

Generator assembly: 12 31 8 524 422
And probably a new gasket for the cover: 11 14 7 670 688

Cheers
L
Thanks Lukas. Going to have to break the piggy bank and order the new factory parts for about $900. I already have 2 gaskets ready for that cover. Flywheel puller is going to be the next thing to look for.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #540
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
Yes more power = more heat but BMW have been known to spec the alternators at max RPM so you are not normally running with 400w output, The output power vs RPM graph would be needed to see what is really output at normal operational RPM.
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote