Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #571
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I'm sure it will help stator life considerably .... with a non-shunt design the only time you will be working the stator to death is with high accessory load vs. of "all the freaking time"....
Which P/N did you use?

Compufire 55402, the expensive one.
I live in hope.
We are lucky enough to live in a mild climate, so we don't use heated clothing & other watt guzzling accessories.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #572
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
I would have expected nothing less .... I live right down the street from you .... "in debt"

Like you I rarely need all 400W of output ............ seems a real shame to have the bike work to make the power then dump it to ground ...........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #573
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
I live in hope.
We are lucky enough to live in a mild climate, so we don't use heated clothing & other watt guzzling accessories.
Can you please post some pics of how you installed it and wired it up? Thanks.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #574
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Can you please post some pics of how you installed it and wired it up? Thanks.
Sorry, don't have any pics but it's pretty straightforward.
The original RR has 7 wires coming out of it.
2 red/white - positive - to battery
2 green - earth - to battery
3 yellow - to stator - doesn't matter what order.
These wires go to 2 plugs up behind that little triangular cover on RHS of the bike.
The stator plug is rectangular, the pos/neg plug is round.
I stripped the outer cover off, then cut the wires about 6" from the RR.
The Compufire RR has 5 wires.
1 positive - soldered to the 2 red/white
1 earth - soldered to the 2 green
3 stator wires - soldered to the 3 originals.
I then heat shrinked each join and re-wrapped the whole thing with the original cover and rescue tape (self amalgamating tape)
You have to make up a plate to adapt the mounting points because the Compufire mounting holes are further apart than the original.
Hope that all makes sense.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #575
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
saved my ass

This little thing saved me from getting stranded who knows where. The cost is like 2,50$ for the voltmeter and as much for the box and wires.

http://www1.buyincoins.com/new_en/de...uct-17216.html
Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #576
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

The price is right ... that's for sure!

Is it waterproof, or did you waterproof it somehow?

I installed this gizmo back 4 years ago when my bike was new:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...mp-GPS-adapter

Once I started hearing about stator failures I was very glad to have done so....

What seems odd to me is that "system voltage" is one of the display options for the OBC on some other models of BMW...
Wish we had that on the twins................
Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #577
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Nice, lunaticTR! My pet peeve with dash-mounted voltmeters is that they're either too hard too see or too distracting. On my F800ST I have the same warning light that JRWooden mentions, but I disabled the green so that I don't have to keep seeing a bright green light when everything is OK. I wouldn't mind having a more precise readout, though.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #578
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:

Once I started hearing about stator failures I was very glad to have done so....

What seems odd to me is that "system voltage" is one of the display options for the OBC on some other models of BMW...
I wish my OBC had that futue as well. 2 chronometers? Who needs it anyways? Well it is not waterproof. However I filled the back with the Fujik (sp?) brand elastic heat dissipating electrically non-conductive glue (just because I had lots of it and no silicon). The box was too thick for the purpose so I had to cut it a little. Off course the cover did not mate perfectly so I siliconed it (well the silicon was almost dry and I got some rubbery slilicon in there). I doubt the screen is waterproofed but I really did not need it. It could be waterproofed with a little silicon along the edges. It is positioned right below the wind screen. It had some rain on it for sure since I rode it in terrible rain multiple times and left it in the rain for quite some time. The worst is the morning mist. It can go in where no rain can go in. It saw maybe 3-4 weeks of it every night and still works. The rain water is non-conductive so it should not short it. Maybe corrotion can damage it in time. I will throw in another every 2-3 years .For the price its no problem. I have the box already so I do not have to spend 5$ worth of gas to get it. Damn! Chinese can make that thing and sent it to my address for less than 2.50$ while I have to spend 5$ on gas to get a box in the same city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lujo View Post
Nice, lunaticTR! My pet peeve with dash-mounted voltmeters is that they're either too hard too see or too distracting. On my F800ST I have the same warning light that JRWooden mentions, but I disabled the green so that I don't have to keep seeing a bright green light when everything is OK. I wouldn't mind having a more precise readout, though.
Thanks. Its not that eye striking. Actully I never paid attaintion to it at night. It is not like the LEDs that point the light straight to your eyes. The flashing green LEDs of the SPOT on my tanktop case, on the other hand, would lit up my visor from the bottom and I thought it was the thunder and was going to rain. It was quite sometime untill I figured it out
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #579
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Ok I've babbled about Electrosport's stator for the F800GS / F650GS twins for a while now, and on several different threads so I'm sure I'll miss posting this update to all of them, but Electrosport does have this unit dribbling into production. The P/N is ESG831 .... the same stator is available as ESG829 for other BMWs that have the same 400W output and mechanical dimensions but the ESG829 has shorter harness leads. They are $199

The ESG831 was available on the website yesterday, but is now temporarily sold out,
inventory will apparently be replenished shortly.

Per my contact:
"Both esg829 and esg831 have the high quality wire and insulation intended for high-temp environments. Which is why the price is a bit higher then most of my other stators. "
I've asked for the numeric value of the temp. rating - if I get that value I will post it....

Answer: The wires would be good for 220 C and our part would also be running cooler then the OEM.

Ok so there you have it folks, I think I've ridden that horse about as far as it will go...

JRWooden screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 04:54 PM
Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #580
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

I like your LED monitor gizmo, but the weblink to product itself is no good, do you have a newer web link to this product? Thanks.

EDIT: found it : http://signaldynamics.com/index.php/...id=44&vmcchk=1

Thanks!

mustardfj40 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 02:41 PM
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #581
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
I like your LED monitor gizmo, but the weblink to product itself is no good, do you have a newer web link to this product? Thanks.

EDIT: found it : http://signaldynamics.com/index.php/...id=44&vmcchk=1

Thanks!
That looks like it, I'll edit my original post and put the new link in ... thanks!
It has worked flawlessly for 4 years now ....
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #582
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Ok I've babbled about Electrosport's stator for the F800GS / F650GS twins for a while now, and on several different threads so I'm sure I'll miss posting this update to all of them, but Electrosport does have this unit dribbling into production. The P/N is ESG831 .... the same stator is available as ESG829 for other BMWs that have the same 400W output and mechanical dimensions but the ESG829 has shorter harness leads. They are $199

The ESG831 was available on the website yesterday, but is now temporarily sold out,

Per my contact:
"Both esg829 and esg831 have the high quality wire and insulation intended for high-temp environments. Which is why the price is a bit higher then most of my other stators. "
I've asked for the numeric value of the temp. rating - if I get that value I will post it....

Answer: The wires would be good for 220 C and our part would also be running cooler then the OEM.

Ok so there you have it folks, I think I've ridden that horse about as far as it will go...
What did we determine the max temps our stators were getting to? I think I might have a phase in my stator burnt out already on my Rick's stator was thinking of just going to the new "updated" Bimmer parts though that's gonna cost a small fortune
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #583
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Peak stator temp is dynamic. The highest temp I measured was 216c on a hot day after hard enough riding to purge coolant.

A 220 stator will not burn out at 240c it will just age quicker.

BMW uses 200c magnet wire which is unusual and why all the typical 180c aftermarket stators burn out quickly.

Assuming it is made well, a 220c stator would get my vote of confidence :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #584
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:

Per my contact:

Thanks for following this and sharing the info.

has anyone on this list installed one of these new elecrtosport stators?

Just an obsessive detail. my f650gs is up for the winter, has over 33k miles so I intend to open it up and inspect the condition of the stator...ie how toastie is it. at this point my system is working fine, but if it looks toasted I plan to replace the stator before next riding season.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #585
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

VTBob:

Per my contact, supply is just trickling in now as of last week they had sold just a handful ...
as ... so far that was all they had received - it was a short run apparently done for a final QA inspection.
That batch sold out quickly, and more is either here now or will be shortly.
When the "full" batch comes in the website will be updated.