Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #646
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Google search "electrosport stator problems" and you will find more results on their quality.

Now lets here from real world electrosport installs on our BMW F800gs and the mileage they are getting before failure????? Anyone have any miles on Electrosport or Rickys?

The stock BMW stator is actually very high quality but the lack of oil splash or air movement in that compartment has made its life very difficult.

I might have the stock flywheel in my parts bin it would be available for free plus shipping. I got a brand new Electrosport stator in the box and some 500 degree epoxy ready to do what they do not provide. Make me an offer I will ship you the new Electrosport Stator.

I bit the bullet and spent $900 on the new parts and sent the old stator to Custom Rewind for back up.
The Electrosport makes for a great door stop.
PM-ing you now
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #647
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
As I mentioned earlier..... I have epoxy that will hold up to 500. F......But no broken stator........ Yet.....
Ebrabaek:

I like the idea, but how viscous is your epoxy?

Unless it is very low (watery ... and maybe not even then...) it would seem that a vacuum chamber might be needed to get the expoxy in past the first couple layers of windings?

I would guess that after dipping the epoxy would have to be cleaned off the ends of the poles as the I wouldn't think there is enough clearance between the pole tips and the inside of the flywheel to allow it to remain?

I also wonder how much "insulating value" the epoxy adds? Insulation being a bad thing here....

JRWooden screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 06:13 AM
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #648
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
It is great that you have a 500F epoxy....some questions you might want to think about if you have not already

what is it coefficient of expansion over temp? need to be very stable so the stator coils don't loosen up and have vibration failure

what is it's dielectric coefficient? voltage break down, etc

what is it's immunity of oil and oil additives?

how well does it age over time?

the reason I am skeptical there is an adequate epoxy for this environment, if there was BMW would have just changed that and not done the more expensive elaborate mechanical design to facilitate better oil cooling

just my 2 cents
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #649
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,084
After my F800GS alternator died last Summer while on a trip, my wife started to get paranoid about her F650GS which has virtually the same mileage as mine. So she asked me to open her alternator cover to have a look and this is what I found:

The one on the left (or upper, depending on your screen resolution) is here, and the one on the right, or below, is my failed one.

Hers looks better, for sure. Should I just buy a gasket, close it up and forget about it or should we change it now?

Decisions, decisions. I'd be tempted to close it up and buy a Rick's stator to keep as a spare, just in case.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 07:30 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #650
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 960
Emm, it looks almost as bad as yours!! Lets change it!
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #651
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ebrabaek:

I like the idea, but how viscous is your epoxy?

Unless it is very low (watery ... and maybe not even then...) it would seem that a vacuum chamber might be needed to get the expoxy in past the first couple layers of windings?

I would guess that after dipping the epoxy would have to be cleaned off the ends of the poles as the I wouldn't think there is enough clearance between the pole tips and the inside of the flywheel to allow it to remain?

I also wonder how much "insulating value" the epoxy adds? Insulation being a bad thing here....
I will be the first to admit.... that I am clueless as to how to dip stators. Have never done it, and perhaps never will . But I do know alot about the epoxy it self, but that hardly makes me an expert on dipping. A few thing do apply, however. Putting the whole stator under a vacuum will not do anything to facilitate more penetrating, as the polymers moves towards the vacuum source, in doing so, it will take the path of least resistance. Only way to get it in really good, is to thin the epoxy. You can do this mechanically, by heating it up, while dipping. I thought it would be fun to experiment, with taking a stator and using the good epoxy, but perhaps as I have no experience with it, I better stay away.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #652
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
It is great that you have a 500F epoxy....some questions you might want to think about if you have not already

what is it coefficient of expansion over temp? need to be very stable so the stator coils don't loosen up and have vibration failure
It is potting specific epoxy.

what is it's dielectric coefficient? voltage break down, etc
I have no clue.

what is it's immunity of oil and oil additives?
Very immune.

how well does it age over time?
Very good.

the reason I am skeptical there is an adequate epoxy for this environment, if there was BMW would have just changed that and not done the more expensive elaborate mechanical design to facilitate better oil cooling

just my 2 cents
You could be right about BMW. But I was of the same conclusion early on as a 8GS owner, but have since come to the conclusion, that BMW really don't use the best stuff. The 8GS is full of compromises, that should not have been.
That is just my opinion, but I have lost faith in their support...... Still love the bike though, and will keep it for many moons to come.

Erling
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #653
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,621
Also Fits?

Ok guys, we're planning a big trip on our twins and it seems I'm due for an alt failure. Just starting to go thru the 650+ posts so I hope I'm not 205 here.

Research shows RMSTATOR.COM close to me. If you look under "Also Fits" it lists 40+ applications. Could this be true? If so, it'll give you more options when you break down in BF nowhere and you need to McGyver something.

http://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcycl...stator-rm01040

It lists the 650 Single as "Also". Seeing this, I checked my parts pile and found...........

It's from a basket case engine I picked up for free. Measures up ok. Can anyone confirm this will work? If so I've used up all my luck for the week. A 650 single stator should be easy to find used. Like mine hiding in plain sight!

Emmbeedee, RM stator is pretty close to you.........just sayin'.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #654
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Very interesting! Coaticook (Quebec) - Might be a good destination for a weekend drive to "La Belle Province"!

Thanks for posting!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #655
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
Emmbeedee

If mine looks like your wife's...I'll be changing it our for a new one
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #656
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Emmbeedee

If mine looks like your wife's...I'll be changing it our for a new one
Yeah, I think you're right. And if it only costs $100, I can buy a dozen for the price on one new style BMW stator. I wish I'd known about the alternatives at the time.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 11:51 AM
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #657
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You could be right about BMW. But I was of the same conclusion early on as a 8GS owner, but have since come to the conclusion, that BMW really don't use the best stuff. The 8GS is full of compromises, that should not have been.
That is just my opinion, but I have lost faith in their support...... Still love the bike though, and will keep it for many moons to come.
I expect I'll also keep my bike a good long time ...
but I am likewise depressed about my stator, second cracked gas tank, and my burned headlight reflector.
Oh well...

One other question: what is the thermal conductivity of the epoxy ... if it's low then we've "insulated" our stator ... not a good thing.

Many years back I got a tour of a Westinghouse Electric plant where they made small transformers.
All of the transformers,after being wound went through a "potting" station where the transformer was submerged in potting compound and a vacuum pulled on it ... this made the air contained in the windings expand in volume greatly ... when you looked in the view window it appears the potting fluid was boiling, but it was just the air in the transformer windings expanding in volume as the pressure was reduced.

Once some vacuum level was reached (~28" I think...) the vacuum was slowly released and potting fluid got "sucked in" to the windings or pushed in by ambient pressure depending how you look at it....
not sure it would work here, or even it it's a good idea, but it was a really amazing plant tour!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #658
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,139
I've got about 7k miles on a ricks stator right now. Keepin an eye on the voltmeter for any drops in charging voltage for a burned phase.

I'm wonder if an ammeter would be a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #659
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I expect I'll also keep my bike a good long time ...
but I am likewise depressed about my stator, second cracked gas tank, and my burned headlight reflector.
Oh well...

One other question: what is the thermal conductivity of the epoxy ... if it's low then we've "insulated" our stator ... not a good thing.

Many years back I got a tour of a Westinghouse Electric plant where they made small transformers.
All of the transformers,after being wound went through a "potting" station where the transformer was submerged in potting compound and a vacuum pulled on it ... this made the air contained in the windings expand in volume greatly ... when you looked in the view window it appears the potting fluid was boiling, but it was just the air in the transformer windings expanding in volume as the pressure was reduced.

Once some vacuum level was reached (~28" I think...) the vacuum was slowly released and potting fluid got "sucked in" to the windings or pushed in by ambient pressure depending how you look at it....
not sure it would work here, or even it it's a good idea, but it was a really amazing plant tour!
Epoxy is not a good conductor. I was under the impression that the insulation on the wire itself was the baked on shellack. And the epoxy added strength, and stability....... At least the copper coil wires I worked with.... That was the case. But again..... I know nothing about winding a stator.....

Erling
Old 02-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #660
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
It's from a basket case engine I picked up for free. Measures up ok. Can anyone confirm this will work? If so I've used up all my luck for the week. A 650 single stator should be easy to find used. Like mine hiding in plain sight!

Ordered a stator from RM today. Should be here early next week.