Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #841
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Put scope in AC coupling mode, test across battery terminals BEFORE and after regulator replacement. Timebase probably around 1 mS per division but hunt around. less is better.

Scope set to DC coupling start around 1 S a division and range down to 1 m/S a division to get a picture of any patterns. set triggers for switching transients and measure the peak down to say 1 nano second.

AC is very bad for battery.

DC fast transients are hard on electronics and can cause firmware glitches.

Also with scope set for 1 micro second AC coupled, hold probe tips perhaps 3 inches apart and get close old and then new regulator. You want the same distance and proximity with both old and new regulators. This will give us some indication EMI being generated. Less is better and this is how HID ballast were shutting down brake system on another BMW bike.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks Joel ...
I will report back with results ................ when I have them!

I am still looking for a dead or surplus stock R/R from which to salavage an extra set of connectors so that I can quickly swap in and out the OEM vs. Series units for A-B-A testing when I see something that makes me say WTF ...
I am 200% sure that will happen ..........

SO... I'm looking for an OEM R/R or OEM R/R harness contribution here is someone has a spare ...!!! (please)
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #842
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
While I agree that realtime digital control systems can have trouble with transients, I am not that worried about this regulator - I think it pales in comparison to a HID system, especially a cheap one, as a source of spikes and emi. It would also surprise me if Bosch (or whomever makes the electronics for BMW) didn't clean up the input power on a system designed to operate in the vicinity of spark ignitions and injector drivers etc.

I will report here any troubles I may encounter, but do not expect any. That said, it would be very enlightening, however, to see a scope trace of the AC component present at the battery should anyone post one here. If I had access to a sampling oscilloscope I would.
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #843
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,140
The Hella ECU used on the 650 single uses a motorola 68000 CMOS processor running at 5v and has a sophisticated power regulator system protecting it, it is only the output peripheral system running at 12v, you may get some high frequency noise on the sensor inputs but not the processor. Have not had a Bosch unit apart but would expect them to be similar and I am told they are also a 68000 processor but those who have had one apart may wish to correct me on that

WayneC1 screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 11:43 PM
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #844
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
I will report here any troubles I may encounter, but do not expect any. That said, it would be very enlightening, however, to see a scope trace of the AC component present at the battery should anyone post one here. If I had access to a sampling oscilloscope I would.
Soon, I hope I'll have some to post....

Someone send me a stock R/R so I can have the plugs .... please?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #845
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

JR, have started a thread at f650 asking if anyone over there can send you a faulty VR to recover connectors, there are a few over there who have had failures, I recall one recently, I included a link to your last post, let us see if anyone steps up, I am a little out of the way here in Oz
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #846
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Wayne!

OZ is a quite a shipping distance from North Carolina

I will post back when (... power of positive thinking ...) someone sends me one out of their dead parts bin!

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 09:50 AM
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #847
imintman
FL_atlander

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks Wayne!

OZ is a quite a shipping distance from North Carolina

I will post back when (... power of positive thinking ...) someone sends me one out of their dead parts bin!
JR,

I've got a bad VR that recently failed on my wife's 2007 F650GS. Do you want the whole thing or just the cables? I can mail it or if you're going to be at the BMWRA Rally in Asheville next month I can hand it to you.

Ed
imintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #848
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imintman View Post
JR,

I've got a bad VR that recently failed on my wife's 2007 F650GS. Do you want the whole thing or just the cables? I can mail it or if you're going to be at the BMWRA Rally in Asheville next month I can hand it to you.

Ed
Ed:

THANKS! I think the connectors are the same!
Would you be so kind as to mail me just the connectors ... with some lead wire attached?

I'll PM you my address....
I'm thinking I'll not make the BMWRA rally as I've got to help my daughter move that weekend ... unless I can work something else out..........

Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #849
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Ed has also posted a pic which shows the difference in Mfr part No on the new spares stock of VR's which confirms what Joel was saying, new one at the top

Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #850
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Ed has also posted a pic which shows the difference in Mfr part No on the new spares stock of VR's which confirms what Joel was saying, new one at the top
Hmmmmmmm I missed that thread somehow, but did remember Joel's comments ... "presumably" the Cycle Electric and CompuFire series-style units both regulate at the higher more desirable voltage...
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #851
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry JR, I was not too clear, posted in a hurry, Ed put the info in a thread at f650 so I have posted the pic here for ya all, his results in service on his wife's bike dont show too much improvement at low rpm but better at high, cant take one instance though as absolute, battery condition affects results.

Look forward to seeing the results of your tests, the series pass VR's are what interest me
Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #852
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
I have the Compufire regulator on my F8 for ~20,000km with no ill effects.
The only discernible difference is that the voltage now sits on 14.1 - 14.2 instead of 13.8.
The RH engine case now seems to be the same temp as the left whereas before it was much hotter.
Scientific I know.
So it's all upside so far.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #853
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Sorry JR, I was not too clear, posted in a hurry, Ed put the info in a thread at f650 so I have posted the pic here for ya all, his results in service on his wife's bike dont show too much improvement at low rpm but better at high, cant take one instance though as absolute, battery condition affects results.

Look forward to seeing the results of your tests, the series pass VR's are what interest me
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... Got it figured out now!
Need to order the R/R on Monday!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #854
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
Checking in after a week and 2 tanks of gas only. ABS works as before, except actually way better than before over washboard gravel roads, but that is due to my Traxxion-fitted forks. Can't give any ABS data vs. state of charge, which is fortunately always 100% :)
The r/r never even gets warm.
There is no noticeable drain on the battery while the bike is sitting, but it hasn't sat for more than 8 hrs since installing the new r/r.
Everything nominal here.
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #855
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imintman View Post
JR,

Ed
Ed:

Thanks! Your dead regulator arrived today!

I have the series style CE 605 SB on order... when it arrives I'll spice in the donor harness from your dead unit, and ply my Electrical Engineer buddy with the promise of beer and clever conversation in return for his clever assistance with the O-scope.

Jim