Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #856
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ed:

Thanks! Your dead regulator arrived today!

I have the series style CE 605 SB on order... when it arrives I'll spice in the donor harness from your dead unit, and ply my Electrical Engineer buddy with the promise of beer and clever conversation in return for his clever assistance with the O-scope.

Jim
Hey Jim,

Why did you go with the CE and not the Compufire? Or are you going to test both?

Cheers,
Lukas
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #857
imintman
FL_atlander

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ed:

Thanks! Your dead regulator arrived today!

I have the series style CE 605 SB on order... when it arrives I'll spice in the donor harness from your dead unit, and ply my Electrical Engineer buddy with the promise of beer and clever conversation in return for his clever assistance with the O-scope.

Jim
Happy Sleuthing!
imintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #858
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Hey Jim,

Why did you go with the CE and not the Compufire? Or are you going to test both?

Cheers,
Lukas
Lukas:
There is "some" explanation for the choice .... but not a strong argument...

the CE is widely used on the Buell bikes that use a Rotax derived engine with similar setup to ours ...
which probably does matter

The CE does have a 2 year warranty. The CompuFire is sold for use on HD bikes, the warranty is one year, and it says on their website that "Compu-Fire shall have no warranty obligation if used in any other application."

I read a few comments in some other threads in which Compufire tech. support was not particularly interested in supporting "alternative uses"

Since price was about equal I just went with the CE

If the CE works, I likely will not test the CompuFire.

Jim

PS: Not a big deal, but the CE is ~$25 cheaper, comes with a nice lead set, and a self-resetting circuit breaker....

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:40 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #859
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
JR, for some reason (I cant recall why) I had the impression the two were the same product under different badges, correct me if I am wrong, if they do appear to be the same perhaps we should look for the manufacturer to see about a revised product specifically for the 400 watt stators on the F twins and singles with a little more head room on the spec
Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #860
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I do not think they are the same unit ... AFAIK...

The CE is rated at 50A there is a picture here:

http://www.roadstercycle.com/Roadste...Regulators.htm

and is $172 including shipping a nice lead set and a self-resetting circuit breaker

The CompuFire 55402 (which is the one I think everyone is using?)
I think is rated at 40A is $203 comes with an in-line fuse and looks different:
http://www.compufire.com/index.php?o...id=7&Itemid=15
Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #861
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Not the same unit for sure.

I mostly read about the Compufire (yes 55402 is the correct one) on Triumph and Aprilia forums and don't recall anybody ever having any problems, so maybe the additional warranty is not a big deal.

Do you know how the size of the two units compares? IIRC the CE is a quite a bit bigger.

FYI you can get the CF for $155 on Amazon, plus a couple of bucks shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Compu-Fire-Reg...ompuFire+55402

But it's good always to have options - ideally with some detailed comparative data...
Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #862
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Not the same unit for sure.

I mostly read about the Compufire (yes 55402 is the correct one) on Triumph and Aprilia forums and don't recall anybody ever having any problems, so maybe the additional warranty is not a big deal.

Do you know how the size of the two units compares? IIRC the CE is a quite a bit bigger.

FYI you can get the CF for $155 on Amazon, plus a couple of bucks shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Compu-Fire-Reg...ompuFire+55402

But it's good always to have options - ideally with some detailed comparative data...
NOW you tell me the ... I just ordered it yesterday....

I think it is bigger ... the "bolt pattern" is 2 5/8" x 4"
Assuming I can get it to fit in without looking too stupid ...
with heat sinks it's always better to go bigger ...
I'll post overall dimensions when I get them ....
Just sent the guy an e-mail and asked him to hold off shipping if he has not already shipped till I can confirm I have not opened up a can of worms........... story of my damn life..............

While it would obviously be "best" to have the fins running parallel to the direction of the airflow / wind does anybody think that is a big deal in real life? The OEM locations are not optimal from a cooling perspective.......... If you follow me?

FINs

wind ---> ||||||

vs.

wind ---> ===

vs.

wind ---> ////

Jim
Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #863
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
IMHO the fin orientation won't matter much as long as there is turbulent air flow past the regulator. Where it might make a small difference is when stopped as then there is only air flow from convection in which case vertical fins would be better.

But the proof as always would be in the measurement - sandwich a thermocouple behind the regulator and its mount and see! Also does it get hotter when there is a larger electrical load? I have yet to feel (fingers) any heat at all out of mine, but have not asked much of the charging system so far this year. Things might be different once I'm riding for 12 hrs with the electrics plugged in and cranked all the way on...
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #864
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

DBH and all:

Thanks for your help! I got measurements back:

The CE 605 is 4.75" x 3.5" the heigth of the fins is 2" in the center tapering off to 1.25" on the sides.

So only ~3/16" wider on each side and ~1/2" longer on each end...
I made a little template and held it over the OEM regulator ...
It should fit easily. The fins will be in the mostly vertical direction,
but I agree ... turbulent airflow ... should not be a big deal...

I would think that the OEM regulator would generally be as hot or hotter than the series style under all circumstances but I could be wrong on that ... not having studied the schematics...

The OEM regulator is seeing "full" current (whatever the stator can produce) all of the time, and creating heat as a result of it's own internal I^2 * R losses... while the series regulator is only passing on and experincing heating in proportion only to the bike's electrical demand if I understand the circuit correctly!

The OEM heatsink depth is only 1.25" tall, and the series design is larger and taller, so I suspect all will be well...

I do have a thermocouple, but may take advantage of the situation to justify purchase of a infrared laser temp. gauge
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #865
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
JR and all, I stand corrected on both the brand differences and headroom on capacity, my understanding on current limits was people were prepared to have a lower output and the figure of 350 watts was mentioned at one point.

50 amps would be good, the Shindengen shunt FET RR mentions a peak of 50 amps in their detailed spec

Re fins, once the machine is moving the turbulence will ensure cooling, at standstill vertical fin alignment for convection cooling is better

WayneC1 screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 04:59 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #866
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Let's hear it for the "chimney" effect

The CE is in the mail now I'll have to stare at it when it gets here,
but I think it will likely be fairly easy to mount and fins will end up being vertical or nearly so ... based on dimensions ... the CE has significantly more active heatsink area...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #867
Steambike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Another dead stator! The dealer is not sure about the condition of the VR.
Should it be replaced along with the stator? Got towed in last nite. Dealer needs to order parts.
Steambike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #868
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steambike View Post
Another dead stator! The dealer is not sure about the condition of the VR.
Should it be replaced along with the stator? Got towed in last nite. Dealer needs to order parts.
The RR should not necessarily be replaced. Just checked for proper function, as the new stator comes in....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #869
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Update on my bike... just got another dead charging unit and this time it is only 10k miles after the first one was replaced.

The first one failed at 17k and was replaced two years ago. Luckily I am just within the 2 year limit on warranty and have this one replaced at 27k miles...

I heard there is a new rotor design? I asked the BMW service guy if it was a different part number and he said yes... can anyone confirm this?

Can I expect more than 10k out of the newest BMW alternator? With my luck this new one will last exactly 2 years and 2 days and won't be under warranty.
EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #870
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I ordered an Electrosport stator, not because there is anything observably wrong with mine (at around 18k miles), but because of the promise of 15% higher output.

I'd really like to be able to compare the output of the old and the new. What's a reasonable way to do that that doesn't require more than a multimeter (or requires the least amount of equipment beyond a multimeter), and also doesn't require more expertise than an unskilled multimeter-wielder might have?