Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #931
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by LukasM
That is NOT a series type R/R but simply a MOSFET based shunting R/R

Sorry you are incorrect. Look at the schematic on the eastern beaver site. Although I can not share it, I have the complete schematic. This is the series style, when the current is not demanded it disconnects the stator and lets the voltage on the stator rise. When regulator is overloaded and overheated it shuts off, and when cool starts again. In the abuse part of the testing, I ran 80 amps thru it and it shut down and restarted over 10 times without damage. This is one tough regulator. Built as a Hybrid and quality construction.

We did a full evaluation for a un-named manufacturer to use this OE. Never a warranty return unless hooked up backwards. Sadly the economy killed that mfg. But no warranty on over 1000 bikes before their end. We do not sell retail or mail order.

No I do not have samples either.

Rod
interesting ..
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #932
tzava
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Has anybody ever measured the stator generated voltages between phases and between each phase and ground?
Preferably on a good working one
tzava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #933
chinchinete
Learning to fly

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzava View Post
Has anybody ever measured the stator generated voltages between phases and between each phase and ground?
Preferably on a good working one
Check this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685465 ad re read this whole load of info. There is plenty of tech info on both.

Cheers.
chinchinete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #934
tzava
n00b

Thank you for the very useful info! It took me about three hours to read the other two threads you suggested but it really worthed every minute! Unfortunately it will take me a lot more time for this one...
All those posts really make clear why local BMW dealer was charging the battery on every visit.
I bought it on 2009 and almost every day was on the road. About at the end of 2012 I replaced the OEM batt with a Yuasa. I was experiencing some difficulties on starting up at the end of its life.
Same starting problem occured on March 2013. Diagnose this time was "burned stator". After rewinding old stator to a local shop everything was fixed....
Until July when same story started again. Stator was burned after 2000km.
Had it rewinded (and paid) for second time as after discussing with engineer probably the mistake was mine. I installed the discharged battery without recharging it first.
I have 1000 km since the second stator repair and I am very suspicious about having the same problem again. R/R and stator cover are getting very hot after 3-4 minutes idling. Cannot be touched by hand. Unfortunately I cannot compare to how it was before repair because I had never check.
I checked AC voltage between phases with R/R connected and was about 10volts. Tomorrow I will check if when disconnected is more than 50 as recomended in some posts I read today!!
Very glad to see so much data concentration about this issue but not for the issue itself...
Please excuse me for any inconvenience my English caused you!
Thank you (each one of you) for sharing your knowledge and experience with the community!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #935
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
tzava:

It is normal for the R/R (regulator/Rectifier) to get very hot when the bike is just at idle.

Do not be alarmed by that!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #936
tzava
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
tzava:

It is normal for the R/R (regulator/Rectifier) to get very hot when the bike is just at idle.

Do not be alarmed by that!
OK, but what about the stator cover? It is getting so hot as the R/R.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #937
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Actually I've never felt the stator cover ... so I can't say for sure,
I felt the R/R when doing these tests:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890729

You could compare temp of stator cover to clutch cover ... but I think it may be hotter anyway ... the way the OEM R/R is designed the stator is always having to work as hard as it can....

Old 12-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #938
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,581
They both will get hot at you short 400 watt to ground, and the heat is dissipated in both units.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #939
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
tzava, perhaps you would like to enter your vote here as well: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788285

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #940
RB(somedirt)Mann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
After some fuel pump issues last year with my F650GS twin I did some reading. This thread and the failure poll got me thinking. My stator cover measured 70-80F. higher than the clutch cover or the rest of the engine. I opened up the stator cover and found mine had the black crud. Wanting to get ahead of this issue led to a Electrosport stator, a series type CE regulator from Jack at roadster and a battery monitor LED. After installation the stator cover now measures the same temperature as the clutch cover.

Now at idle with the grips on high you can see and hear the RPMs rise and fall as the the heat controller blinks off and on for the Gerbing jacket liner. If the turn signal is on at the same time then the battery monitor LED will blink orange with the signal. Anything above idle and the LED stays green.

The lower temperature reading alone gives me confidence going forward and seems well worth the $$ while a lot less $$ than the BMW upgrade.

Thanks to all the people that did research and worked on this project.
RB(somedirt)Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #941
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB(somedirt)Mann View Post

Now at idle with the grips on high you can see and hear the RPMs rise and fall as the the heat controller blinks off and on for the Gerbing jacket liner. If the turn signal is on at the same time then the battery monitor LED will blink orange with the signal. Anything above idle and the LED stays green.
... .
RB:
That's great ...... I"m going to have to try that tomorrow ...

I've got the voltage monitor & Jack's R/R ... at some point I'll probably have to buy the ElectroSport stator ... not sure why I'm stallling on that ..... but am thinking maybe I put Jack's R/R in soon enough to keep OEM stator from failing ..........
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #942
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,099
That is good feedback there JR and makes the effort of talking to Electrosport and working out the combo worthwhile
Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #943
RB(somedirt)Mann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
RB:
That's great ...... I"m going to have to try that tomorrow ...

I've got the voltage monitor & Jack's R/R ... at some point I'll probably have to buy the ElectroSport stator ... not sure why I'm stallling on that ..... but am thinking maybe I put Jack's R/R in soon enough to keep OEM stator from failing ..........
Since my stock stator was already black and crusty it seemed like cheap insurance to replace it. Might be worth pulling the cover to have a look inside.
RB(somedirt)Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #944
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Since my stock stator was already black and crusty it seemed like cheap insurance to replace it.
Pretty much. Mine left me stranded on the side of I-30 on the edge of Fort Worth. A buddy came down with jumper cables and we charged it for 10 minutes with the car then I hauled ass to Saginaw as fast as possible. Had to stop about 2 miles from the house and charge again. My entire stator was a crispy critter.

After that I never really had full confidence in the bike again after reading about how many other people had the same issue. I still did a bunch of long distance tours on it but that was always in the back of my mind. I wound up selling it.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #945
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Since my stock stator was already black and crusty it seemed like cheap insurance to replace it. Might be worth pulling the cover to have a look inside.
RB:
Yeah... I agree ... I bought new side cover gasket to have in case I tore up the old one getting the cover off, I will be inspecting mine some time over the winter here....

Going to single-digits this coming week ... it might be a good time ...