Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #1036
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyhans View Post
I have a 2013 800GS and my buddy a 14 800GSA.
I'm wondering if BMW changed the stator on these bikes.
Yes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946363

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #1037
hellyhans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Nice thanks buddy
hellyhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #1038
yaycep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I know my question sounds a bit dummy, but do all failed stators belong to F800GS'es for some reason, or have I simply skipped the pages with the 650's?

My '08 F650GS has 53000 KM on the odo without any slightest indication of a failure so far, but this thread makes me kinda anxious..
yaycep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #1039
GETTHUMPER2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaycep View Post
I know my question sounds a bit dummy, but do all failed stators belong to F800GS'es for some reason, or have I simply skipped the pages with the 650's?

My '08 F650GS has 53000 KM on the odo without any slightest indication of a failure so far, but this thread makes me kinda anxious..
Stator failure is a common occurance with a 3 piece charging system and is not limited to any particular brand or model. Stators live in hot oil, are subject to vibration, self-generated heat, etc... and the insulation on the coil windings becomes brittle, it eventually cracks and breaks allowing the coil to either short to ground or short circuit within its own winding thus creating more heat and accelerating its demise.
The whole key to stator health and longevity is heat management, whether that be by reducing current load within the windings or improved cooling like better oil flow to carry away the heat.
This syndrome is a common failure on many Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, Harleys, etc...definitely not limited to the F800.
Google Stator-failure,,,,,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #1040
c4nuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Just replacing mine. Looks surprisingly good.

Looks can be deceiving though apparently.

IBA #59085
BC-->TX-->Carribean
c4nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #1041
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETTHUMPER2 View Post
Stator failure is a common occurance with a 3 piece charging system and is not limited to any particular brand or model. Stators live in hot oil, are subject to vibration, self-generated heat, etc... and the insulation on the coil windings becomes brittle, it eventually cracks and breaks allowing the coil to either short to ground or short circuit within its own winding thus creating more heat and accelerating its demise.
The whole key to stator health and longevity is heat management, whether that be by reducing current load within the windings or improved cooling like better oil flow to carry away the heat.
This syndrome is a common failure on many Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, Harleys, etc...definitely not limited to the F800.
Google Stator-failure,,,,,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A three wire stator in these bikes always puts out the max voltage it can all the time. This varies a bit from idle to a couple of thousand rpms as the speed of the rotor turning creates the electricity so it may vary from about 13.5 to 14.5 Volts on a meter with the bike running. ( But the stator is still putting out its 70 Volts AC and regulator/rectifier converts the voltage to DC.) Heat alone is not the issue, nor is oil level and anything else you can think of. Stator failures in 99% of the cases are a result of the stator windings shorting to ground. This really only happens are a result of poor grounds, bad connectors, etc. as the stator needs a good ground to function, if it doesn't have one then it creates its own and shorts the windings to ground, usually where all 3 wires exit the windings. This is not unique to BMW but they seem to have more than their fare share of failures.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #1042
GETTHUMPER2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
A three wire stator in these bikes always puts out the max voltage it can all the time. This varies a bit from idle to a couple of thousand rpms as the speed of the rotor turning creates the electricity so it may vary from about 13.5 to 14.5 Volts on a meter with the bike running. ( But the stator is still putting out its 70 Volts AC and regulator/rectifier converts the voltage to DC.) Heat alone is not the issue, nor is oil level and anything else you can think of. Stator failures in 99% of the cases are a result of the stator windings shorting to ground. This really only happens are a result of poor grounds, bad connectors, etc. as the stator needs a good ground to function, if it doesn't have one then it creates its own and shorts the windings to ground, usually where all 3 wires exit the windings. This is not unique to BMW but they seem to have more than their fare share of failures.
Hi Cycleman,,,
I agree with all that you have posted, but would like to add.
Stator output is always at 100% capacity without regard to electrical demands when voltage is regulated by a shunt type regulator/rectifier.
However, when voltage is regulated by a series type reg/rect it is possible to decrease demand and therefore reduce the wattage and heat produced by the stator.
There is a thread somewhere on ADV about the series style regulators.
Sorry I do not have more detailed info at this moment to share.
Best Regards,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #1043
YrianX
Viking Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Another Stator crapped out :(

I guess I'll add myself to this thread as my Stator crapped out on me on my trip to adventure days in Sweden.

Basically stranding me about 300 miles from home Thank you very much...

Anyway just got back home now after getting home and collecting my car and trailer, returning and bringing the F8GS home in tow.

At first I thought it was the battery, so got hold of a new one from a shop close to the adventurdays event, then found out it did not charge at all but that the Stator was giving out voltage so thought it was the r/r.

Got permission from Touratech (who organized the event) to pilfer a r/r from a demo F8GS adv they had standing with a broken clutch (After resident BMW tech guy confirmed it would fit/work), but love and behold, the new r/r did not remedy the situation...

Apparently my stator gives off voltage when measured, but as soon as it gets any load / draw on it, it just craps out... So now I have ordered a electrosport stator (Anyone have any experience with these?) and just waiting for it to arrive in just more than a week probably.... So much for getting to participate in all the VERY NICE organized Gravel and off-road trips during the event.

Anyhow, I got the new Touratech Extreme rear shock for a great price though so all was not lost

Also got the inside scope that Touratech will be releasing a no modification upgrade fork cartridge kit with all the adjustment bells and whistles for the F8GS very soon, made by tractive suspension just as their rear shocks so that will be very interesting indeed.

Per.

RIDING:
F800GS & YZF 1000R
YrianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #1044
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by YrianX View Post
I guess I'll add myself to this thread as my Stator crapped out on me on my trip to adventure days in Sweden.

Basically stranding me about 300 miles from home Thank you very much...

Anyway just got back home now after getting home and collecting my car and trailer, returning and bringing the F8GS home in tow.

At first I thought it was the battery, so got hold of a new one from a shop close to the adventurdays event, then found out it did not charge at all but that the Stator was giving out voltage so thought it was the r/r.

Got permission from Touratech (who organized the event) to pilfer a r/r from a demo F8GS adv they had standing with a broken clutch (After resident BMW tech guy confirmed it would fit/work), but love and behold, the new r/r did not remedy the situation...

Apparently my stator gives off voltage when measured, but as soon as it gets any load / draw on it, it just craps out... So now I have ordered a electrosport stator (Anyone have any experience with these?) and just waiting for it to arrive in just more than a week probably.... So much for getting to participate in all the VERY NICE organized Gravel and off-road trips during the event.

Anyhow, I got the new Touratech Extreme rear shock for a great price though so all was not lost

Also got the inside scope that Touratech will be releasing a no modification upgrade fork cartridge kit with all the adjustment bells and whistles for the F8GS very soon, made by tractive suspension just as their rear shocks so that will be very interesting indeed.

Per.
Per.
Did you follow the complete test as outlined in my thread. There are more than one test you need to do to diagnose the condition of your stator...????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #1045
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 494
Fixt.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #1046
YrianX
Viking Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Per.
Did you follow the complete test as outlined in my thread. There are more than one test you need to do to diagnose the condition of your stator...????
Hehe, well, I have now....

Actually at first I did not have a multimeter available, only the battery charger, so I tried it. When a battery charged for about 15 hours only lasted about 4-5 starts I thought it was a goner for sure (6 years old) So not too bad to have it replaced by a new one at a decent price anyhow...

It was actually the mechanic at the shop where I got the battery that measured the charging out put and the stator output and told me that he got nothing from the r/r but the stator was fine, so I trusted him and arranged for the new r/r which did not help.

I have measured now when.I got back home and the stator puts out variable 10-24 volts it seems so quite sure that it's the culprit.

Of course the r/r could have been bad too so for a cheap price I was happy to keep the replacement one.

Once the new electrosport stator is in as well I should hopefully not need to worry about the charging system.for quite some time :)

Per

RIDING:
F800GS & YZF 1000R
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #1047
YrianX
Viking Adventurer

Well after receiving my new electrosport stator in the mail today and installing it my baby is now charging her battery again

(Getting the cover off with the full crashbars was a bitch though, otherwise an easy peasy job)

As an added bonus since I first thought it was my r/r and replaced that with the one pilfered from a F8GS adventure, it now charges at a lovely 14.4 volts

Per

RIDING:
F800GS & YZF 1000R
Old 07-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #1048
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,853
G/day all,

Well my stator finally gave up. It went to god right on 110,000kms.
I was 50k's from home when my red warning light (top of the warning panel of lights) suddenly came on, which caught my attention, scanned the digital volt meter, and it had dropped from 14.2 V to 9.20V.

Shit! I knew what had happen, stop, disconnect the headlight and running light, turn off all my heated clothing, its winter here and I had just flown in from Delhi where it was 42C, phark I was cold.

Ran on the battery to home, the good news that once I turned everything off, the volt meter produced an indicated 12.4 V at revs, at idle it dropped to 11.4V..

Rang my BM mechanic, they can rewire the original stator, and I had bought an aftermarket Stator in the States last year, without any wiring, so tomorrow I will send them both Stators and the wiring harness, they will rewire the aftermarket Stator and send it back to me, while the original is rewired.

I have no complaints, have got 110,000 out of it, glad it happened only 50k's from home and not 5000k's.

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #1049
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,618
You were prepared AND close to home.

Awesome mileage too. No whiny anti-BMW rant then.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #1050
YrianX
Viking Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
G/day all,

Well my stator finally gave up. It went to god right on 110,000kms.
I was 50k's from home when my red warning light (top of the warning panel of lights) suddenly came on, which caught my attention, scanned the digital volt meter, and it had dropped from 14.2 V to 9.20V.

Shit! I knew what had happen, stop, disconnect the headlight and running light, turn off all my heated clothing, its winter here and I had just flown in from Delhi where it was 42C, phark I was cold.

Ran on the battery to home, the good news that once I turned everything off, the volt meter produced an indicated 12.4 V at revs, at idle it dropped to 11.4V..

Rang my BM mechanic, they can rewire the original stator, and I had bought an aftermarket Stator in the States last year, without any wiring, so tomorrow I will send them both Stators and the wiring harness, they will rewire the aftermarket Stator and send it back to me, while the original is rewired.

I have no complaints, have got 110,000 out of it, glad it happened only 50k's from home and not 5000k's.

Chris
Good milage indeed.

Min gave up the Ghost on just half those KM's...

Per

RIDING:
F800GS & YZF 1000R