User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,110
Goosetown Loop 2011: Chicks and Beer again

Once again, the weekend after the 4th is the big ol' Goosetown Softball Tournament in Anaconda, MT. Teams come from all over the place and probably double the population of that cute little burg, and it's been a tradition of ours for years and years. I don't play anymore with my broken up old body, but Mrs Shady still does (this year on a brand new ACL) and I am happy to be the support system.

Because I get to go ride.

I did one of my lame reports on this last year, and it's here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599050

And now, the 2011 version!

We sold our camper a couple years back, and our friend that we camped with sold hers, so now we're down to what we refer to as "the Box". My 8x20 Haulmark. Cheap and works for me, as my needs are simple. I loaded the bike up into it and we hit the road Friday afternoon.

We arrive in Anaconda and it's getting a bit late, and I want to get up into the hills and set up a camp. So I leave the girls in the Box, who assure me they will be up to no good while I'm gone and thusly bid me a farewell. And I'm dumb enough to leave them there.

I'm-a hittin' the road Jack

Anaconda is the coolest little town. Once one of the richest in the world (mining), there is fascinating architecture and history, and funky little places to check out.

But I'm on the move as the day's long in the tooth

Rolling towards Butte I cut north into the hills

Stopped at this interesting place with old chimneys. It was almost a little creepy the way the rocks were stacked in different formations around the area. Made me think of the Blair Witch Project movie, or some cult spot.

Continuing on, there are many trails that beg exploration

And old mines

The road was closed 7 miles ahead, the sign said, and my planned loop was threatened. Lots of washouts from our record snow runoff. But as I headed up anyway, I bumped into a pickup with 3 really stinky guys in it that were missing some teeth. They were quite friendly and assured me passage was no problem, they'd come around the barrier earlier with their truck. I rolled on.

Little cricks burble everywhere

I find me a spot a few more miles up, set up camp, and after a couple beers and a fantastic CAO cigar Big Cuz sent me, I crawl quite tired into my home for the night

My cheapo sleeping bag that packs real small, is rated for 30 degrees. I would like to see the guy who tests them. Because it did get to 30 degrees and I nearly perished that night. An extra little cotton bag liner saw me through. In the morning, there was frost on the grass which surprised me even though I was at about 6500 feet. I waited for the sun to warm the tent up then took this picture.

Made a big ol' cup of coffee on my SteverStove.

This is livin', babe.

My watch is this bright thing in the sky. It said maybe get moving so I packed up my camp.

And rolled on towards the Boulder River.

Boulder, MT

This big mine you could see from outer space. It's called the Golden Sunlight mine. I thought that was funny, and chuckled for several miles about it. Nothing against mining, we wouldn't have motorcycles or much of anything else without extracting resources from the earth, but razing a whole mountain and naming it something happy to make it sound better just cracks me up. It's like having the Fragrant Daisies Sewage Treatment facility, or the Happy Cows Slaughter House.

Got into Whitehall and just loved this old sign

Back up into the hills I heated up some beef stew for a nice hot lunch

From there over fun and curvy Pipestone Pass

Headed back through Butte and to Anaconda

The girls had been winning and it was looking to be a good tournament for them. After Val's ACL replacement, and the trading of minor injuries between her and Clarissa, someone had named them Parts and Spare Parts. That's what their shirts say now

Get them on the field and they're all business

Back to the Box, we have afternoon beers and snacks, and after several games the girls are zonked and resting for the evening game

Even Darcy was wiped out

But they kept hammering away, and by Sunday night they'd played 8 games into the championship, and just lost out to a team from Spokane that they beat handily earlier. So our team the Growlers took 2nd out of about 30 or 40 teams. It was awesome excitement!

I like team pictures like this after the games, when everyone's all beat up and dirty and bleeding. Real players they are, and there is a guy's team in the Growler's organization featured here too. This is right after the championship game.

It occurs to me that with all the beer we drank, I don't have any beer drinking pictures. I was reminded of this last year in that thread as well. When the cold beer was out, the camera was away. So, just imagine a bunch of pictures of people drinking beer and laughing and being just like a beer commercial.

People around here all know about Goosetown. Lot of the guys say "Oh man you're going to sit over there and cook in the July sun, get all dusty and miserable, get home at midnight on Sunday after it's done, no way man not me." And others will say I'm a little off base for going to a girl's softball tournament where all those big ugly manly chicks gather, what a waste of time.

I have one thing to say to them.

Suckers!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
kcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
What the hell has happened to ADVrider?

The title. Says. CHICKS AND BEER.

190 views and no replies?

Beautiful chicks, beautiful country (I'mma been dreaming of MT lately). I noticed the lack of beer pics, but personally, I'd like to say thanks for the more pictures of the ladies than of the beer

good stuff man...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Spartandude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Awesome ride and looks like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post

No idea. This is the first time I've seen it.

Hmm...'"Kev, I don't think ADVRider is a good influence..."-my wife' I think our wives must have been chatting.
Spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,107
You're a lucky guy. Nice riding territory, beautiful ladies, and an obedient dog. What more do you need?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc View Post

Beautiful chicks, beautiful country (I'mma been dreaming of MT lately). I noticed the lack of beer pics, but personally, I'd like to say thanks for the more pictures of the ladies than of the beer

good stuff man...
There were way too few pics of chicks and beer. The riding looked really nice though. I guess thats kinda what life is all about.
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
You're a lucky guy. Nice riding territory, beautiful ladies, and an obedient dog. What more do you need?

More beer.

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,420
Eek Hold it just one minute, can't let him get away with this!

Beer? Like "Kcc" pointed out there are no photo's of beer! Ya know what they say "No photo so it didn't happen!".... I even had to go back and look a second time because some one used diversionary tactics to draw attention away from the fact that there were no photo's of BEER! Also have to call into question the fact that you have a 20ft cargo trailer and I saw no large coolers full of ice to hold said unseen beer? Even the last photo, your not holding BEER or should I say BEER'S!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Beer? Like "Kcc" pointed out there are no photo's of beer! Ya know what they say "No photo so it didn't happen!".... I even had to go back and look a second time because some one used diversionary tactics to draw attention away from the fact that there were no photo's of BEER! Also have to call into question the fact that you have a 20ft cargo trailer and I saw no large coolers full of ice to hold said unseen beer? Even the last photo, your not holding BEER or should I say BEER'S!

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

If you look closely, you will see 13 beer cans in the pictures.

Next year I will correct this oversight, and attempt profusely to get my girls to pose for bannable pictures.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,420
Bluhduh Your going to make us wait a year?

13 cans??? What are you thinking, this is ADV not "Where's Waldo"! Now as to the "bannable pictures" your redemption just might be at hand... If those photo's included any type of dual sport motorcycle you would be venerated!
We have to hand it to you though, a "Man Trailer" with a dual sport bike, one mattress, a Victoria's secret bag and a pit crew of two.
If your ever in our neck of the woods for a tournament let us know we might just "think" (key word here) about taking up softball for a couple of days! Or at least drag you away from your seemingly unbearable softball situation for a ride.
Thank you for the "Ride report" and the fodder to give a good-natured ribbing to a fellow ADV'er
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote