Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
F800gs Urine can change

Anybody swapped the brake resevoir to a normal motorcycle model? like this:

seen a couple people change the actually can to a metal can but still not clean enough for me....

going to completely change my bike around when I get home..... no one will recognize it! so sitting and waiting here in UB I am going internet shopping..... haha
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
I have Ben. The remote reservoir broke off on my Beemer m/c so I bought one from a KTM 950/990 Adventure that has the built in metal reservoir. Looks exactly like the one in the picture, and it has the right bore size as well since both bikes run the same dual two piston Brembo calipers.

I will get you a picture later tonight. One thing to keep in mind is that the brake switch on most motorcycles works differently than the BMW, so you will need to build a little circuit with a relay to go from "normally closed" to "normally open" (or was it the other way around?). Not hard to do, but it does add some wiring.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I have Ben. The remote reservoir broke off on my Beemer m/c so I bought one from a KTM 950/990 Adventure that has the built in metal reservoir. Looks exactly like the one in the picture, and it has the right bore size as well since both bikes run the same dual two piston Brembo calipers.

I will get you a picture later tonight. One thing to keep in mind is that the brake switch on most motorcycles works differently than the BMW, so you will need to build a little circuit with a relay to go from "normally closed" to "normally open" (or was it the other way around?). Not hard to do, but it does add some wiring.
dude you are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i seriously owe you a beer for all the help you have been to me and my family!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,726
I was thinking of trying the one off of a G450X. I haven't looked into the specs yet, since it's going to be a winter project.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I was thinking of trying the one off of a G450X. I haven't looked into the specs yet, since it's going to be a winter project.
thought the same thing!!! beacuse i know my old g450x being bmw might have the same plug for the brake light
Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 734
Is there any reason to remove the bobble head, other than esthetics?
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
dude you are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i seriously owe you a beer for all the help you have been to me and my family!!!!!!!
No worries man, glad I could help. Do you know anything more about when the bikes will be picked up? I am going to Sweden for 10 days this Friday so I would have to arrange something if it's next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
That's not going to work well if at all, the 450 m/c is for a single caliper (probably has smaller pistons, too) and is not going to move enough fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Is there any reason to remove the bobble head, other than esthetics?

Yeah, the remote reservoir is much more susceptible to damage or even just getting ripped off by branches etc. Of course you could fit one of the cute Touratech protectors...

In my case I also got the whole used KTM (Brembo) m/c cheaper than just the reservoir would have cost me from BMW - even with a discount it's still $120.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
BMW claims that due to the vibrations of the vertical twin that under rare circumstances cavitation can introduce bubbles of air into the front brake system thus we present bobble-head

There are some details on the potential problem over on F800Riders.org.
Here is an easy lowering kit if you don't see the potential problem as a big deal:

http://f800depot.com/bmw-lower-brake-reservoir.html

I have not studied the issue, and now "don't see" the bobble-head after 3 years, so I'm gonna leave well enough alone!

JRWooden screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 04:54 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
I use a zip tie to keep the bobble head from wobbling. No more problem. Not gonna switch to a Harley style metal enclosed reservoir. It's old style and makes it hard to see the fluid.

Might go to a brembo rcs master tho...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Put a guard on it if your worried and go riding. There's way too much worry going on about a litlle wobbly resevoir.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Could you provide any info as to what brembo lever you used on your F800GS race version? I am wanting to do the same thing on my bike to get rid of the plastic can and cap.

Regards,

--
Ben Myburgh
B.H.Myburgh@gmail.com

Forward

Twalcom to me
show details Jul 13 (2 days ago)

Hi Ben,
we have used the standard brake pump for the BMW G450X + the left F800GS standard brake caliper.
Ciao, mario

Il 12/07/2011 10.53, Ben Myburgh ha scritto: - Show quoted text -

--
Twalcom® “Special Parts for Extreme Roads”
Twalcom-Store - Deposito:
86, Via Modena - 44122 Ferrara - Italy
web: www.twalcom.com
mail: info@twalcom.com
tel/fax: +39 0532 207171

per twalcom
Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
per twalcom
Not sure if this was meant for me or not. I'm not sure yet which Brembo master would be the right one. They make a number of different options:

16x18
16x20
19x18
19x20

The first # is the bore size of the master the second # is the axis or pull distance of the lever.
16's are typically for bikes with a single disc vs.
19s which are for bikes with a dual disc.

The axis or pull distance is personal preference "as that number increases it decreases the sensitivity and increases brake power." Lower numbers (x18) are said to give better feel to the brakes whereas bigger number (x20) more power to the pull. More info here: http://www.oppracing.com/pages/artic...ter_cylinders/

Anyone know the volume or bore size of the BMW stock master cylinder?

Keep in mind that this will not replace the bobble head urine bottle that people complain about. That is the resevoir not the master. Replacing the master will give better braking and feel. I have the 19RCS on my trackbike and it is pretty surprising how much better it brakes vs. the stock master cylider. Unless of course you order a new resevoir and clamp which is available from some shops: http://www.solomotoparts.com/catalog...r-p-34710.html

Gangplank screwed with this post 07-14-2011 at 10:34 AM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Are you really looking to get a radial MC?

For a standard axial I would say 15/16 mm with both calipers, 11/12/13 mm with the single caliper like Twalcom used. Depends on how firm you like your pressure point.

I am not sure what stock is but probably 15mm, part description says "32727727050 HANDBRAKE ASSEMBLY, SMOKED GLASS - D=15"

Does BMW really not even sell a MC rebuild kit?? Look forward to a whole new replacement for $360+....
Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Sure why not? I have the 19RCS on my trackbike and it is night and day in breaking and feel. Two finger pull and trail braking is much easier to modulate. You can find them less expensive than that tho... 16x18 for $261 or so.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Here are the pics I promised you a while ago Ben...

I even reused the original line from MC to ABS distribution block but the angle of the banjo is not ideal. Fine for now, though...