Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #211
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytM View Post
I've won some BNIB safari tanks on eBay.
Could someone please tell me what fittings should aslo come with the tanks?
I know there are some breather pipes, but what else??
Thanks.

You are SOOO lucky, I very nearly bid on them, but really want the orange ones!!
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #212
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
It would be nice if they just produced the tanks in Polymide instead of Polyethylene and it wouldnt be a problem, if touratech can their HPN/Acerbis tanks then safari could, or heaven forbid if they have to use polyethylene then fluoride treat the damn things.
Nice idea but very poor production.
I thought I read somewhere that they did start fluoride treating the tanks at some point after production started. Not quite sure I understood your sentence, but every Acerbis and Clark tank I have, including aftermarket oversize tanks and factory KTM and Triumph tanks, swell also. Interesting though, I've noticed that the Safari tanks shrink back down in a shorter period of time than the factory Acerbis tanks do when emptied and dried.
Personally, I'd rather deal with the issue than have the Safari tanks not available at all. I absolutely love not having to worry about finding a gas station.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #213
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
I absolutely love not having to worry about finding a gas station.
I've wondered how you guys keep track of your fuel.

Do you tape a calendar to your dash?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #214
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather deal with the issue than have the Safari tanks not available at all. I absolutely love not having to worry about finding a gas station.
Bingo!

I got so tired of planning around fuel stops and having to use my rear tank as a reserve since I tend to get so focused on admiring my surroundings I miss that stupid yellow light. There are still plenty of places to explore that don't have fueling depots close by and there are still small towns that do have fuel but roll up the sidewalks at dusk and the pumps aren't on 24/7.

Sitting the tanks aside for a spell while they slim down is much more acceptable then 3 or 4 fuel stops in a day and if you add the oil change petcock/hose and a CPR filter the tanks will be on more then they will ever be off.

It's going to be a long 4 week wait since I have her torn down waiting for the new additions to arrive.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #215
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that they did start fluoride treating the tanks at some point after production started. Not quite sure I understood your sentence, but every Acerbis and Clark tank I have, including aftermarket oversize tanks and factory KTM and Triumph tanks, swell also. Interesting though, I've noticed that the Safari tanks shrink back down in a shorter period of time than the factory Acerbis tanks do when emptied and dried.
Well I have the 42ltr Acerbis manufactured Touratech tank for my R1100GS, its manufactured from polyamide, it dosent swell at all, its non porous so you can repair it if it gets damaged, and you can paint it.
Fluoride prevents porosity of the so the petrol vapor dosent not get into the plastic, so again you can repair it, and paint it, to be fair it has little to do with preventing the swelling of the tank.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #216
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,897
I think there is something to this swelling deal and the Safari tanks beyond just vapors and such. Can anyone tell me why my tanks were fine until I went to the great NW? (Yukon, Alaska, BC, Ect.) I also crossed the great plains where gasohol was being sold to get there and back.

Anyhow, on that trip things swelled enough that I could barely get the caps on and off. A short time after I got home and rode a few tanks through of our home brewed Ohio gas, the caps loosened up and they have never been swelled again since.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #217
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
If not already written.

The tanks swell . the problem for me is it makes the tanks difficult to fit, and can do a little damage to the screen.
The fix , which has seen many miles and mixed terrain, is to loosen the whole headlight/ speedo support from the headstock. 2 bolts. This will then be nicely supported by the actual tanks themselves and leaves the headlight /speedo support bracket "floating" free from the main frame which in turn allows the tanks to do what they must.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #218
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
It's been almost two years since I got these big tanks,
and over 5-1/2 years of learning how to push this big bike around offroad.

My fuel light came on at 260 miles the other day. (mostly dirt on that tank)
It seems I spend a bit more time spinning the back tire at 7-8000 RPM than I used to.......
I'm just now getting comfortable with it at just shy of 50k miles.

Dog, I love this bike more than ever.
How in the hell could anyone ever sell it after owning it?
What could they possibly be thinking?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #219
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
The tanks swell . the problem for me is it makes the tanks difficult to fit, and can do a little damage to the screen.
The fix , which has seen many miles and mixed terrain, is to loosen the whole headlight/ speedo support from the headstock. 2 bolts. This will then be nicely supported by the actual tanks themselves and leaves the headlight /speedo support bracket "floating" free from the main frame which in turn allows the tanks to do what they must.
Great fix. Thanks for the tip.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #220
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
That is a great tip, thanks!

Speaking of tips, I also have a slew of spacers and fender washers I picked up from Lowes today after reading this thread a while back http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784781

Trying to have everything ready for when these bad boys show up.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #221
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Another tip: Remove the side panels, and then install the Safari tanks. I was surprised how much easier it was to install the tanks with the panels off. YMMV.
CharlieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #222
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,897
New personal record today, 457 miles, 11.76 gallons to refill

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #223
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
New personal record today, 457 miles, 11.76 gallons to refill

That's it...I'm getting a set. Now I need to get a seat that can support the fuel range...was sorta balanced before, but these will throw that out of whack.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #224
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
You are SOOO lucky, I very nearly bid on them, but really want the orange ones!!
I figured the saving made it worth it, Plus I dont really care for pretty ADV bikes...that said - orange would of been the prefered choice!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #225
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 708
quick question about the gas caps- the vent in my Super enduro safari tank wasn't working (actually since I got the bike a few months ago). I replaced the breather tube with a new one and still got the swelling/gas purging when the bike would sit in the sun on rides...

so I loosen the gas cap when stopped and of course after a few rides I lost the gas cap.

ordered a new Acerbis aluminum gas cap from Just tanks in CA. got it over the weekend and it doesn't seem to fit my tank. I called and the guy tried a new one on a new tank and said it fits fine. I tried mine again this morning and it's close but just doesn't seem to fit...

did I get the wrong gas cap, or is there something wrong with my tank? the OE gas cap was a tight fit, but you could open and close it..

just trying to figure out if I got the wrong gas cap or if I should just force it or see if I need to trim some off the threads on the tank. I'd hate to screw up a $900 tank though!!!
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote