ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #256
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
I have some interesting and promising news. After emailing back and forth with Safari Tanks in Aus it seems that we have figured out the issues and they are working on solutions. They will now be using a pump bolted in place as the tanks cool to keep the bolt inserts from shifting while cooling and at the quality control stage where they pressurize the tanks to check for leaks. They will also be using Viton seals and gaskets to prevent any issues with various fuels degrading the rubber gaskets.

At this point I have reason to believe that this will resolve the issues and that the next iterations of Safari Tanks will be better than ever.

I'll let you guys know when I get my tanks in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the update! I guess this explains why I've been waiting since April for my black tanks.........................
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #257
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Thanks for the update! I guess this explains why I've been waiting since April for my black tanks.........................
Suck it up and spend the the extra $240 and have them drop ship right to your door. You'll have them in a week. I did. The delays come from the ports and from the fact that they want to ship a crap ton of tanks up here at one time. The changes I am speaking of are for tanks being made right now and going forward.
__________________
'07 450EXC Sold but not forgotten...you will be replaced soon.
'07 990 Adv...BOOYAH!
Rally_West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #258
johnno950
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I hope this gets resolved. When they're set up right, they seem to be an awesome ( although costly) feature!

I'm still too stubborn and cheap to pull the trigger. If only they came in rally blue...
A friend of mine has oem safari tanks in blue on his 990,i asked how he got a non std colour and he said the dealer that was repairing his bike at the time (insurance work from crash)contacted safari tanks and they made a set in the blue,they looked great on his 990.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #259
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
Suck it up and spend the the extra $240 and have them drop ship right to your door. You'll have them in a week. I did. The delays come from the ports and from the fact that they want to ship a crap ton of tanks up here at one time. The changes I am speaking of are for tanks being made right now and going forward.
Well I had placed an order through dual sport warehouse back in April trying to throw a bone to DSW/CJracer for all their support and the black have been on back ordered since then.

I contacted Wayne at Safari Tanks in Australia yesterday and here was what I got back from them about the Black tanks.
Quote:
Currently we are carrying stock for the black KTM990 tank set.

If you would like pricing or any other information please contact us.

Regards, Wayne.

Safari Fuel Tanks
R & V Aqualine Industries
1933 Carboor Everton Road
Carboor VIC 3678
AUSTRALIA
PH. +61 3 5729 5556
FAX +61 3 5729 5559
EMAIL info@rvaqualine.com.au
www.safaritanks.com.au
Guess I need to get a hold of DSW and see if they're going to be able to hook me up or if I need to cancel my order and buy direct. I've got a trip scheduled for August and really need these tanks.
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #260
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Well I had placed an order through dual sport warehouse back in April trying to throw a bone to DSW/CJracer for all their support and the black have been on back ordered since then.

I contacted Wayne at Safari Tanks in Australia yesterday and here was what I got back from them about the Black tanks.


Guess I need to get a hold of DSW and see if they're going to be able to hook me up or if I need to cancel my order and buy direct. I've got a trip scheduled for August and really need these tanks.
I ordered mine from Craig (CJ Designs) as well...I ordered Orange but, to me, they did not look right so I contacted JustGasTanks (the US distributor) directly and ordered black. They had none on stock but contacted Wayne and he had a set and drop shipped to me directly. Try JustGasTanks and see what they say, talk to Thomas...they are great guys and very helpful.
__________________
'07 450EXC Sold but not forgotten...you will be replaced soon.
'07 990 Adv...BOOYAH!
Rally_West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #261
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way
 
bikepharmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 140
These look promising, but any issues with...

the emissions evap canister (for those of us who still have them, like me)?. Any other plumbing or hardware issues that are starting to pop up?

I really like the idea of these tanks, but agree with the posters who point out for $1600 I expect a quality product. Expansion issues are pretty much a deal breaker for me since I live in a hot climate.
__________________
2012 KTM 990 ADV R.
2007 KLX 250S
The man who starts alone can start today.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #262
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Oddometer: 6,204
I pulled all the evap stuff a long time ago. Yank that dead weight off and go for it.
__________________
Speed bumps never seem to make me go any faster
Qwik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #263
BMacW650
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 738
Love mine!!!

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #264
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
It seems that Justgastanks.com who is the distributor of Safari Tanks here in the States isn't interested in importing more tanks until they offload their inventory of white and orange tanks. This turned out to be a great thing for me because I found this http://www.kriega.us/adv-platform/ after canceling my order for Black tanks that I've been waiting for since April (Another 8 to 10 weeks according to Justgastanks.com)?

With this setup you can carry either 30 liters of stuff, 8 gallons of fuel/fluid or any combination there of. Not only that, but in my case i can swap this setup between my 990 and 690 at will and all for a heck of a lot less then the Safari tanks.

So for less then $800 I can carry 4 more gallons of fuel and 30 liters of stuff for two bikes.
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #265
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Oddometer: 142
Allrighty...new set of updated black tanks headed my way...left Aus yesterday, in US Customs now...should see them tomorrow...fingers crossed they work.
__________________
'07 450EXC Sold but not forgotten...you will be replaced soon.
'07 990 Adv...BOOYAH!
Rally_West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #266
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
Allrighty...new set of updated black tanks headed my way...left Aus yesterday, in US Customs now...should see them tomorrow...fingers crossed they work.
Cool but I do have a question. If these don't work since you purchased them direct yourself will you have to pay another $240 to ship them back to Oz?

I was afraid I would and why I went with the Rotopax setup.
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #267
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Cool but I do have a question. If these don't work since you purchased them direct yourself will you have to pay another $240 to ship them back to Oz?

I was afraid I would and why I went with the Rotopax setup.
I purchased via CJ (support those that support) I put a rush on them and paid the $240 directly to Just Tanks...3 days later had the tanks from Aus. This replacement set is being sent no cost and my bad tanks I took directly to Just Tanks (I live near)...but Safari Tanks said I could cut a few critical pieces out of the tanks and mail those bits to him (much cheaper I'm sure).
__________________
'07 450EXC Sold but not forgotten...you will be replaced soon.
'07 990 Adv...BOOYAH!
Rally_West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #268
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sideup's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia Gorge, USA
Oddometer: 166
Fuel balance

Has anyone else noticed this with their safari tanks ? When riding for more than a half hour or so, I noticed my left hand tank (with the fuel pump) will always fill up and draw the fuel down in the right hand tank. I have ensured my vent hoses are not pinched and open on both tanks. I am running the locking gas caps and also checked the vents on the caps. It seems to not be a problem and after parking the bike in the garage the fuel tanks balance out again. The only thing I can think that might be causing it is since the submerged fuel pump is in the left hand tank this tank might have a greater negative pressure than the other tank causing the fuel pump to transfer fuel from the right tank and fill up the left tank during the ride. I even rode with the gas caps slightly loose to make sure it was not a venting issue, same result.
__________________
2014 KTM 690
2011 KTM Adv 990R
KTM 500 exc
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #269
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!
 
Alleycatdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
Oddometer: 1,417
Am I the only one having fuel distillation issues with the safaris?

Even near empty, there's so much vapor volume that when I park in the sun I get fuel vapors condensing in the vent hose, dripping onto the pavement at work, and dissolving the pavement sealer. NOT popular with the boss, who has gone way beyond reasonable in giving us bikers special parking privileges close to the building....

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to add a catch can. I did just try covering the bike but it didn't help on the very hot day I tried it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

SA
__________________
When in doubt, PIN IT! It may not help, but it'll sure end the suspense...
Wretched Exce$$ See ADVr's around the world-ADV spotwalla page
Riding Wretched Wretched Passes
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #270
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
Has anyone else noticed this with their safari tanks ? When riding for more than a half hour or so, I noticed my left hand tank (with the fuel pump) will always fill up and draw the fuel down in the right hand tank. I have ensured my vent hoses are not pinched and open on both tanks. I am running the locking gas caps and also checked the vents on the caps. It seems to not be a problem and after parking the bike in the garage the fuel tanks balance out again. The only thing I can think that might be causing it is since the submerged fuel pump is in the left hand tank this tank might have a greater negative pressure than the other tank causing the fuel pump to transfer fuel from the right tank and fill up the left tank during the ride. I even rode with the gas caps slightly loose to make sure it was not a venting issue, same result.
I've never had that issue. The bottom cross over line has sufficient flow to balance the tank faster than the pump can pull the fuel.
I know you said that the hose isn't pinched but are you sure that the vent line and the balance cross over are not clogged either?
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014