ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #271
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Am I the only one having fuel distillation issues with the safaris?

SA
Never had this issue either. Does it happen at any fuel level?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #272
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Never had this issue either. Does it happen at any fuel level?
Yep. Black tanks, full sun....any fuel level. it's not a lot, but it only takes a few drops to start eating the pavement.

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #273
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Yep. Black tanks, full sun....any fuel level. it's not a lot, but it only takes a few drops to start eating the pavement.

SA
I have the orange ones. Even in Death Valley I did not notice what you described. But maybe it evaporated before it hit the ground
Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #274
dobblego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have a safari on my husqvarna TE510. I agree, they rock.
dobblego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #275
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
I've never had that issue. The bottom cross over line has sufficient flow to balance the tank faster than the pump can pull the fuel.
I know you said that the hose isn't pinched but are you sure that the vent line and the balance cross over are not clogged either?
My safari tank just has the bottom fuel petcock line and one vent line at the top front triangle. Does not have another balance cross over like the stock tanks do.
Yes I would say the bottom cross over line is working fine because the fuel is flowing freely from the right hand tank and filling the left hand tank with the pump in it. I double checked the vent lines at the top front of the tanks, both seem to be open.
I do have the vent lines hooked to a tee with with one long line extended down to the skid pan area. Maybe I should run two separate vent tubes and see if it acts the same. (Problem being is pulling fuel from the right tank and raising the level in the left tank when riding.)
Like I said I haven't had any overflow issues , so far, just wondered if anyone else noticed this.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #276
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Am I the only one having fuel distillation issues with the safaris?

Even near empty, there's so much vapor volume that when I park in the sun I get fuel vapors condensing in the vent hose, dripping onto the pavement at work, and dissolving the pavement sealer. NOT popular with the boss, who has gone way beyond reasonable in giving us bikers special parking privileges close to the building....

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to add a catch can. I did just try covering the bike but it didn't help on the very hot day I tried it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

SA
Instead of a catch can I would put a loop in the long end of the vent line. At least try that first. You did say the caps vent both ways right? You might be able to run the vent back to the airbox somewhere as well. THat way the line runs mostly horizontal if not upwards even.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #277
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
My safari tank just has the bottom fuel petcock line and one vent line at the top front triangle. Does not have another balance cross over like the stock tanks do.
Yes I would say the bottom cross over line is working fine because the fuel is flowing freely from the right hand tank and filling the left hand tank with the pump in it. I double checked the vent lines at the top front of the tanks, both seem to be open.
I do have the vent lines hooked to a tee with with one long line extended down to the skid pan area. Maybe I should run two separate vent tubes and see if it acts the same. (Problem being is pulling fuel from the right tank and raising the level in the left tank when riding.)
Like I said I haven't had any overflow issues , so far, just wondered if anyone else noticed this.
My tanks are like yours. Bottom cross over and the two vent lines that meet in a T. And a single line runs down the left side down to the skid plate.

My last thought, are you sure the nipples on the tanks (vent line nipple) are breathing properly? The hoses might be clear but I have seen one nipple that was obstructed on a friend's tank.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #278
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
My tanks are like yours. Bottom cross over and the two vent lines that meet in a T. And a single line runs down the left side down to the skid plate.

My last thought, are you sure the nipples on the tanks (vent line nipple) are breathing properly? The hoses might be clear but I have seen one nipple that was obstructed on a friend's tank.
Bikyto, Well I when I was trouble shooting the problem I took the gas caps off both tanks and blew into the vent hose on each tank to check if the port was open. Both seemed to vent. BTW the key lock gas caps themselves also vent (one way), so it is an odd this is doing this. As long as the gas is being pulled into the side that has the pump in it I don't really have a problem. To me it just seems that the left hand tank with the pump side has more negative pressure than the right hand side tank when the bike is running because everything balances out when the bike it not running. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #279
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
Bikyto, Well I when I was trouble shooting the problem I took the gas caps off both tanks and blew into the vent hose on each tank to check if the port was open. Both seemed to vent. BTW the key lock gas caps themselves also vent (one way), so it is an odd this is doing this. As long as the gas is being pulled into the side that has the pump in it I don't really have a problem. To me it just seems that the left hand tank with the pump side has more negative pressure than the right hand side tank when the bike is running because everything balances out when the bike it not running. Thanks for the suggestions.
I think the negative pressure is equaled out by the crossover tubes. There is no way the pump would draw more, thereby creating a vacuum faster than the crossover tubes could compensate for.

My gas caps will vent both ways if pressure is great enough. I can blow and suck air through them...I know what you're thinking...shame on you.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #280
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,413
I had some Dinoc at the House and installed it on my Safaris to see how long it lasts before bubbling up. Its been a couple weeks so far with no bubbling.

I did both sides in the same semi random pattern.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #281
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
$1600 for Tanks? Guess I am a cheap guy and will have to go with the Rotopax. If they were like a grand I would consider it but not at twice that price.. Ouch...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #282
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
$1600 for Tanks? Guess I am a cheap guy and will have to go with the Rotopax. If they were like a grand I would consider it but not at twice that price.. Ouch...
Price a set of stock tanks then compare to the Safari, consider limited production numbers to satisfy a niche market. Find a place to mount 4 gallons of fuel and deal with filling multiple locations and the value starts to become more apparent. If you only need the occasional gallon rotopax work but if it's a regular need the Safaris are it.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #283
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
Price a set of stock tanks then compare to the Safari, consider limited production numbers to satisfy a niche market. Find a place to mount 4 gallons of fuel and deal with filling multiple locations and the value starts to become more apparent. If you only need the occasional gallon rotopax work but if it's a regular need the Safaris are it.
Stop trying to make sense of it all or I will be out $1600. Good thing they don't make any for the fastest color. The BLUE KTM's.
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #284
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 219
Need is relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
...If you only need the occasional gallon rotopax work but if it's a regular need the Safaris are it.
V8T is right on point. Although I've got an SE, I wanted to have on-board capacity when I truly needed it. I've got the 30L Safari, but only use it for long distances where gas is questionable or I'm in for lots of slabbing. For the more normal runs I use the stock tank and just carry a Rotopak or two. Problem is the former situation is pretty rare and I don't have the discipline to half-fill, so the big tank spends most of its life hanging in the rafters.
As far as quality is concerned, my tank arrived a bit twisted. I know folks here have said don't set it in the sun, but that's exactly what I did prior to installing for the first time. That warm California sun and some carefully placed weights got it fairly true in no time. All the miscellaneous connecting ports matched well to the parts required without any further dressing out.

For Sale: Brand new '12 KTM 690ER Safari Tank http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post25402584
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #285
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,614
I rode my 990R for a couple of years before buying the Safari tanks, I hated how they look, the $$$ price and I didn't need that much gas. I bought a set last winter in anticipation of a few long remote trips this year, installation was easier than I expected and they held more gas than my car. I did a couple of remote rides with lots of miles between gas stations and decided that the Safari tanks were one of the best things (after suspension) I've done to my 990R. They are a game changer. But are still ugly. I rarely fill them all the way and under 7 gallons it handles better than the stock tanks full with 5.

KTM 990R 500EXC

catalina38 screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 06:23 PM
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote