Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #106
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I don't fall down

holy heck did I ever just jinx myself or what?

Judging by how many times I've seen Daniel crash his.. I'd say they're pretty tough
You'd better not go down anywhere NEAR someone else's camera!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #107
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
  1. Do you find that these tanks need the crash bars or no? I see a lot of people run these with just the panels. Is that good enough? Are they super tough or something?
  2. Are the safari tanks lighter than the stock tanks + their cover fairings?
  3. Are these becoming the preferred fuel extension over the Neduro tank? Was thinking of doing that with the coming 2-into-1 exhaust modification I am planning. Thought it could add some fuel without putting it over the front.
1. Not generally from what I hear and see. They are pretty stout. And the manufactured crashbars wont fit.
2. The empty tanks with no hardware weighed the same as my stock tanks with no hardware. Tells me they weigh less than the stocker/fairings combo
3.Well the Neduro tank holds 2.4 (Thats the most I got into mine) and that gives you a total of 8.2 gallons. the Safaris hold an average of 11 gallons.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #108
seppami
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 66
Does anyone know, how much there is still gas, when the fuel light goes on?
seppami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #109
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Easy way to check. When the light comes on. Pull over and shut the crossover petcock off. Ride till the bike dies. Times 2 and there ya go,
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #110
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,148
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
1. Not generally from what I hear and see. They are pretty stout. And the manufactured crashbars wont fit.
2. The empty tanks with no hardware weighed the same as my stock tanks with no hardware. Tells me they weigh less than the stocker/fairings combo
3.Well the Neduro tank holds 2.4 (Thats the most I got into mine) and that gives you a total of 8.2 gallons. the Safaris hold an average of 11 gallons.
1. Touratech makes some. Or CJ (better!)
2. Yep they weigh 0.8lbs less actually
3. On a 990 with the neduro I could only get 7.5 gallons

bikyto screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 09:49 AM
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #111
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
1. Touratech makes some. Or CJ (better!)
2. Yep they weigh 0.8lbs less actually
3. On a 990 with the enduro I could only get 7.5 gallons
ONLY 7.5 gallons he says
Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #112
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
ONLY 7.5 gallons he says
is that all??
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #113
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Quote:
ONLY 7.5 gallons he says
Versus the 11.5 he gets with the Safari's. Yeah thats All.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #114
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
If they will let me save some weight vs stock tanks, fairings, and crash bars... I would go with it. Otherwise I think am kind of liking the neduro tank on my left behind me. (Sure wish I could preserve the locking fuel cap too. People are assholes... yall ever worry about that? I do.)

Now if I need to outrun humungus and his gang of juice stealing hooligans, that might change and seal the deal. "Just walk a-way" not on your life, ugly

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 12:37 PM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #115
babilon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
here a pic with my spermwhite Safaris

[KTM 990 Adv N 2006]

[KTM 990 Adv N/S 2007]
babilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #116
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by babilon View Post
here a pic with my spermwhite Safaris

Nice bike, great set up!!!
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #117
The Doc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Safari tanks suck

I've had my Safari tanks for a year now and I sort of still like them but I'm getting real sick of the expansion problem.

The bottom mount has moved atleast 20mm maybe more, the headlight bolt holes have moved about 10mm. The rear of the tank has no more room to move, I have already ground the front edge of the side covers to make more room. The bottom brace has been extensively modified, it is not only the mount hole that needs to be moved but the clearance around the fuel hose/fuel petcock has been ground out several times.
I went to refit my tanks today and again had to do more work to the bottom mount. DO THESE THINGS EVER STOP GROWING?
I am a professional with all the gear and know how to modify things as needed but I often wonder what the average punter does about this. I shudder to think what butchery takes place at a workshop when some of those so called mechanics are refitting the tanks after a valve check or a water pump job.
One of the reasons I go to alot of effort to have this right is so that, if I ever have to take the tanks off while on tour I've already got a problem, I dont need anymore!

I think the tanks should have been made smaller and pre-expanded before sale.

Has anyone got any stories to tell?

BMW Adventure bikes..... just an excuse to go home early
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #118
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I've had my Safari tanks for a year now and I sort of still like them but I'm getting real sick of the expansion problem.

The bottom mount has moved atleast 20mm maybe more, the headlight bolt holes have moved about 10mm. The rear of the tank has no more room to move, I have already ground the front edge of the side covers to make more room. The bottom brace has been extensively modified, it is not only the mount hole that needs to be moved but the clearance around the fuel hose/fuel petcock has been ground out several times.
I went to refit my tanks today and again had to do more work to the bottom mount. DO THESE THINGS EVER STOP GROWING?
I am a professional with all the gear and know how to modify things as needed but I often wonder what the average punter does about this. I shudder to think what butchery takes place at a workshop when some of those so called mechanics are refitting the tanks after a valve check or a water pump job.
One of the reasons I go to alot of effort to have this right is so that, if I ever have to take the tanks off while on tour I've already got a problem, I dont need anymore!

I am in the process of researching and planning for a future expedition. This is one of the potential problems I've tried to fix in my mind ... I've read a few stories like this with excellent advice on how to remount them ... But like yourself I would like them to not expand in the first place ...

One of my ideas was to wrap the tank while it was still new ....

Quote:
... Question ... These tanks Expand and you Can-Not paint them .............. Right?

A Thought ... Wrap a tank with large Carbon Fiber sheets ... On the back side only wrap inboard from the outside edge 3 inches, leaving the majority of the back plastic exposed. (Which will allow any of the gasses that cause bubbling to escape) The gasses would eventually separate the bond on the front but even if all the original bond was lost ... Everything would still fit tightly as it is a zero tolerance exoskeleton ... On the back side connect 4 of the outer edge’s with 2 long strips of CF 2 to 3 inches wide, crossing them effectively making a visible X on the back ... CF patch’s on the back near exhaust and other hot spots.

Now take it to a paint shop and have it painted / sanded / painted / sanded and finished with a eye popping glass finish.

Paintable ... & ... No more bolt alignment problems

(The tank skid protector could be included in the process) ... & ... (The clear tanks could have CF Open Sight Gauge's any where you wanted to put them)

Does anybody think this might work ... or would this be a bank breaker ...
I'm still checking in on this thread hoping someone that already owns one these tanks might be able to give me an educated guess leading to ... No Way, Don't Try It, It Will Be A Most Expensive Mistake! ... or ... Hey That Just Might Work! ....

Signed ... Seeking The Collective Wisdom ...
Platypus-3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #119
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

Have you read this post? Sounds like Kamanya has a simple, effective method for remounting, no matter the expansion...

FYI, Getting the Safari Aquiline tanks on with little effort
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #120
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,576
David: they'll distort enough that kamanya's technique simply won't reach. My tanks had 3 gallons in each of them yesterday and the right tank had the bottom hole off by 30+mm and the windshield holes couldn't even see the holes they were destined for.

@ any given moment my tanks have various bolts missing because I gave up trying to get them to reach.
As long as the tank doesn't fall off.. I don't sweat it.

Oh snap!

p.s. I have better results without even doing the top bolt up.. I start with the bottom and do the top bolt last as it is the easiest to line up. when things are super out-of-whack (like right now) I'll do the top bolt up about 4 threads and then bottle jack the bottom of the tank to bow it enough that I can reach the hole. Unlike Kamanya 's tanks.. my tanks have zero overlap with my rear fairings and always line up at the back without tension. I think these tanks have a lot of variance between sets?

Geek screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 08:28 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote